Methylene Blue

messtafarian

I wonder if anyone has any experience or advice with this stuff. I can buy methylene blue on Amazon, and there is a product that is appropriate for disinfecting aquarium water. Getting "usp" just aint gonna happen and the stuff to stain microslides seems like it would be more likely to contain contaiminants than the fish stuff.

Any thoughts?

BingDing

messtafarian, I think you can find USP that you might find safer. This is from a site that the smallest amount is 25g for $76. I'm interested in trying it for the anti nitric oxide property.

METHYLENE BLUE, USP, is a heterocyclic aromatic chemical compound that has a wide range of uses. This solid, odorless, powder is used medicinally to treat methemogolbinemia and urinary tract infections. Spectrum Chemical manufactured USP products are manufactured, packaged and stored under current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) per 21CFR part 211 in FDA registered and inspected facilities.

OP
M

messtafarian

BigDing; they do have that product listed on Amazon but it is not available. I think there are some special procedures in ordering it from that company. This is finally what I ordered because it is listed as a fish fungicide, which made me think it was probably maybe a little better than the stuff meant to put on microslides.

http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Novalek-AK ... ylene+blue

BingDing

Thanks for the link. There is a thread about MB on longecity and some people there use that Kordon product, it should be fine.

There is a lot of discussion about diluting it on that thread that might be worth a look (it gets a little confusing).

OP
M

messtafarian

yeah, I was just reading the same thing. This is going to be interesting to work out...

LucyL

Coincidence? The dailymail has an article Revealed: The 38 pills taken by 'world's second-smartest man' to stay on top form - though he admits most do nothing, and haven't kept him from being unemployed. Guess what's on his supplement list? all the way at the bottom....

THE PILLS IN FULL: 38 SUBSTANCES RICK ROSNER TAKES EVERY DAY

Omega 3 fish oil capsules

Aspirin

Metformin (a diabetes drug)

Metoprolol (blood pressure pill)

Glisodin (may have anti-ageing effects)

Dutasteride (alters testosterone levels)

Glucosamine (for joints)

Multivitamin pills

Astragalus (designed to stop DNA decaying)

Gummy fiber supplements

Generic cholesterol-reducing pills

Curcumin (anti-inflammation drug)

ToCoQ10 (vitamin E supplement)

L-carnosine (an amino acid)

Acetyl L-carnitine (another amino acid)

Vitamin D3

Vitamin C

Vitamin E pills with selenium

Lycopene (taken to treat heart disease)

Trimethylglycene (taken by some as a steroid)

Calcium

Benfotamine (diabetes pill)

N-acetyl cysteine (liver pill)

Mangosteen pomegranate noni complex (antioxidant)

Vitamin K

Horse chestnuts (treats varicose veins)

Quercetin (general wellness supplement)

Coffee

Phosphatidylserine (a brain pill)

DMAE (used to treat ADHD)

Aminoguanidine (diabetes drug)

Centrophenoxine (Alzheimer's pill)

Piracetam (thought to enhance memory)

Cognitex (thought to halt brain decline)

Vinpocetine (used for blood diseases)

Methylene blue (experimental pill supposed to clear out 'junk' brain proteins)

OP
M

messtafarian

I just saw that! There are several of these on the list that RP would NOT recommend, like fish pills. He does not like NAC or phosphatydilserene either. Also this gentleman has to be careful that he is not ingesting too many "accidental" MAOIs, like curcumin.

Actually I've been concerned about the safety of this protocol. Looking at that made me think, what are you worried about? That guy is pumped on chemicals and he's the second smartest guy in the world!

Although...you know...to me...he might be smart but he doesn't look that healthy.

narouz

I wanna try this stuff.
I admit I am a bit daunted by the blue whites-of-the-eyes effect.
(Wasn't that the color "the spice" turned the eyes in Dune?)

Roaming about the internets
it seems the standard way to avoid the blue eyes
is to take 1000g Vitamin C at the same time.
But I wouldn't want to do that--
if you heard what Peat has to say about even supposedly very pure Vit C supplements.

I wonder if eating several oranges might suffice?

Also: the dosage.
In the latest interview,
Peat mentioned 15 grams per day in divided doses
as a dosage for depression,
though he said much higher doses were safe.
I'm a wuss so I'd want to start cautiously.

I came across this interesting website.
Not recommending it as a reliable guide to health.
Just got a kick out of the guy.
http://selfhacked.com/2013/08/25/methylene-blue-the-cheapest-cognitive-enhancer/
He says he experiences good effects at very low doses,
and gives a clear way to dose like that.
FWIW.

Philomath

I wonder if the 15 grams is the dry crystal or liquid?

OP
M

messtafarian

:). Narouz I think it would be wicked cool to have Spice Eyes.

I picked up a recipe from longecity: for a 2.33 percent solution -- one part Blue to ten parts water is a therapeutic dose. I am not sure if it's right but that is actually really not an awful lot of it. I have to figure out whether I want a therapeutic or a hormetic dose. I'll report back :)

Philomath

I took some today! 1 ml in 138 ml water. No real science behind that ratio... I just diluted it until it looked like it wouldn't stain my teeth! Finished it over the course of the day. Nothing dramatic. However, my temps did get s little higher than normal this afternoon but I cannot be certain it was due to the MB. Another "coincidence" noted- I've been recovering from acute bronchitis over the last week and a half with only a tight chest and intermittent coughing bursts remaining. As of this afternoon my coughing has stopped, almost entirely. Same with the chest tightness. Coincidence?? We'll see. Doing the same tomorrow.

Philomath

No spice eyes yet :shock:

OP
M

messtafarian

Cool! I'm really interested in this. I've been a little careful though because I wanted to wait til I was done with my course of levaquin and sure of the research. Couple things --

MB is apparently a very potent MAOI inhibitor so don't take anything you can't take with an MAOI inhibitor, like cough medicine.

If you take a larger dose, watch your blood pressure with foods that contain tyramine, like aged cheese and craft beer.

If you're just taking a little dose, like they're doing on longecity, dont worry too much about any of that. It's probably not enough to matter.

I'm going to try as soon as my antibiotics are done. Let me know how it goes!

Philomath

Thanks! I stopped taking the cough medicine and have quit most of the supplements as well. I want to know what MB is doing on it's own. Luckily, I don't like aged cheese and I've cut out most beer.
Funny thing, I sat there looking at the glass of MB & water for hours before I took a sip. That was harder to take initially than thyroid bulk aspirin.
For more feedback on it's effects, MILKLOVE is also taking it.

OP
M

messtafarian

Oh, I don't blame you. I'm nervous about it myself. If you were going to have a terrible reaction ( which is highly unlikely anyway unless you are taking drugs for depression) it would have happened already. I'd really like to hear your impressions if you have time to update :)

pboy

guys I took some yesterday and now im blue...is this a normal side effect that passes with time?

Philomath

I drank another ounce today with no change... Other than some slight discoloration...

I'm thinking about increasing the dose. Dr. Peat refers to the following study where they use 15ml per day to combat depression:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3555627/
I want to ask him what that kind of dose will do for hypothyroidism and aging in general.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,049