What's Wrong With Potatoes [How Do They Agree With You?]

Velve921

Why are people so down on potatoes?? I thought peat loved the potato protein.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!

He's said "one small well cooked potato a day, if that" on the radio. It will get transcribed eventually.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potatoes bloat me, and give me the "carb flu" aka endotoxin. Everyone in their own context, of course.

Raypmom

Ewlevy1 said:
Why are people so down on potatoes?? I thought peat loved the potato protein.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!

I can't tolerate potato's unless I boil the heck out of them and have some coconut oil or butter with it. I noticed this when I first started peating. Even then only in small servings, if I eat more than that I feel like it just sits in my stomach literally. I get this weird feeling of fullness and unable to breath smoothly. This is with organic potato's, forget about the regular ones. I get ill if I eat those, a whole release of histamines/allergy issues for 2-3 days. Just a complete mess of inflammatory response. It would take me a couple of days just to get things back to normal.

I know someone who eats a peat inspired diet and enjoys 1-2 cups of mashed potato's w/butter at least once a week. She doesn't seem to have any problems, or so she says. If you feel well after large amounts of potatoes then go for it. Your body will let you know for sure. Your gut to be specific.

Brian

I eat a lot of conventionally grown potatoes. Probably not ideal, but for me they are an affordable source of protein, minerals, and calories that don't seem to cause me any problems. They usually digest perfectly and fill up my muscles with glycogen if I don't include much fat with them. They are loaded with potassium so that seems to ensure the carbs are stored as glycogen.

pboy

theyre alright compared to a lot of other foods, but they do have a significant amount of resistant starch and glycalkaloids that are histamine provokers on the GI, as well as lots of evidence points to their drying up of joint fluids. I know theyre for real cause I actually threw up after eating a potato one time, and I even peeled it...so yea, theyre a decent source of food but potentially dangerous, literally. With commercial potato products, usually there isn't much glycoalkaloids though still some, but like the better nutritious fresh organic potatoes are healthier in terms of purity minerals and all that, but contain higher levels of glycoalkaloids so they are more volatile.

the potato Nazi's paid me to write this

johns74

If you remove the potato, I bet your diet will become worse. When you replace it, it's very easy to choose something that throws things out of balance. If you been eating them regularly, it's because it doesn't cause you issues. What I would ask is what's wrong with the anti-potato nazi's that give awful advice.

pboy

Peat ism is more a philosophy than diet, and the idea is to become as perfect as possible according to our metabolism. Eating starches is an adaptation and isn't ideal especially for people in bad health situations that need to recover. Its not the worst thing ever, in fact its alright, but it does have flaws like many other conventionally eaten foods. Your diet might get worse or better depending on what else you eat. Im not telling people and I don't think other people here are what they must or must not eat, but if you want the most scientific or experiential information regarding whats wrong with potatoes, they can be listed and described. It is what it is, I didn't choose it

Kasper

I've made lots of health improvements when I replaced a lot of sugar and juices with potatoes. There are a lot of different kind of potatoes, and there is only one I really feel good with it, but really I do feel good and I eat at least 1kg of them daily.

I feel like I digest it faster then fruit, and I don't get the tooth problems I get from fruits and fruit juices. I just boil them, as short as possible actually, I like them the best boiled shortly. I eat them with some salt, through out the day, as if it is an apple.

johns74

Kasper said:
I feel like I digest it faster then fruit, and I don't get the tooth problems I get from fruits and fruit juices. I just boil them, as short as possible actually, I like them the best boiled shortly. I eat them with some salt, through out the day, as if it is an apple.

Boiling them for a short time increases the likelihood that you'll react badly to them at some point. To inactivate the bad things of potatoes Peat advises to cook them for 40 minutes.

Boiling it in salted water increases the removal of solanine (a toxin) from the potato. I don't know if it removes beneficial nutrients as well.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kasper said:
There are a lot of different kind of potatoes, and there is only one I really feel good with it, but really I do feel good and I eat at least 1kg of them daily.

What kind of potatoes?

Raypmom

pboy said:
theyre alright compared to a lot of other foods, but they do have a significant amount of resistant starch and glycalkaloids that are histamine provokers on the GI, as well as lots of evidence points to their drying up of joint fluids. I know theyre for real cause I actually threw up after eating a potato one time, and I even peeled it...so yea, theyre a decent source of food but potentially dangerous, literally. With commercial potato products, usually there isn't much glycoalkaloids though still some, but like the better nutritious fresh organic potatoes are healthier in terms of purity minerals and all that, but contain higher levels of glycoalkaloids so they are more volatile.

the potato Nazi's paid me to write this

It's interesting that you mention throwing up after consuming potatoes. I myself sometimes experience nausea after eating potatoes. But everyone else in my family seems to do fine on them.

Raypmom

Kasper said:
I've made lots of health improvements when I replaced a lot of sugar and juices with potatoes. There are a lot of different kind of potatoes, and there is only one I really feel good with it, but really I do feel good and I eat at least 1kg of them daily.

What's your definition of feeling good? I kid. I kid. :lol:

You know, when I'm feeling good there is a sense of pure bliss which it unfortunately seems many are not reporting, and even a potato or some rice can turn that feeling off. Now, disregarding the fact that you probably have never gone starchless for more than a few days, I can say in complete honesty that doing such summersaults to eat like this and then experience a mediocre result (especially when I've felt the other side) is not something I'm willing to condone or recommend, even more so when it leads to a distorted view of just what is experienceable by following the advice of a kind man such as Ray Peat.

It is very simple. I'll add potatoes when and if a comet strikes our planet or zombies come or whatever.

jyb

johns74 said:
Boiling them for a short time increases the likelihood that you'll react badly to them at some point. To inactivate the bad things of potatoes Peat advises to cook them for 40 minutes.

40 mins well that's pretty tedious, and you can't even keep them long once cooked. Well, glad I don't use potatoes...

johns74

jyb said:
40 mins well that's pretty tedious

Not sure you really have to be there watching it for 40 minutes. You can use an alarm clock. It's built in in some ovens.

Brian

I love potatoes with a passion. It takes me three minutes max to peel 6 of them and put them on the stove in some water on high covered. I walk away for a few minutes and come back when it's boiling and put it on simmer. 30-40 minutes later I come back to mash them up. Maybe add a little milk and have a small serving of beef and or dairy. If I'm feeling a little blasphemous maybe some well cooked or sautéed vegetables, just like momma used to.

It's a very satisfying and easy dinner in my opinion. I've gotten a potato buzz before. I think it was the very well cooked potatoes partially turning into alcohol.

Raypmom

Brian said:
I love potatoes with a passion. It takes me three minutes max to peel 6 of them and put them on the stove in some water on high covered. I walk away for a few minutes and come back when it's boiling and put it on simmer. 30-40 minutes later I come back to mash them up. Maybe add a little milk and have a small serving of beef and or dairy. If I'm feeling a little blasphemous maybe some well cooked or sautéed vegetables, just like momma used to.

It's a very satisfying and easy dinner in my opinion. I've gotten a potato buzz before. I think it was the very well cooked potatoes partially turning into alcohol.

sautéed vegetables :eek: They taste like cardboard or plants to me since peating. My taste buds will not recognize them as food.

My experience, and I use to be a vegetarian.

lindsay

Brian said:
If I'm feeling a little blasphemous maybe some well cooked or sautéed vegetables, just like momma used to.

I don't really think RP is as anti-vegetables as everyone on here things, so long as they are well cooked. I love veggies - you can't make a stew without some veggies.

jyb

lindsay said:
Brian said:
If I'm feeling a little blasphemous maybe some well cooked or sautéed vegetables, just like momma used to.

I don't really think RP is as anti-vegetables as everyone on here things, so long as they are well cooked. I love veggies - you can't make a stew without some veggies.

Yup, would be hard to eat some of that meat/bone broth without some seasoning.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals