Peristalsis, fecal impaction, etc

My experience with digestion has been pretty consistent with the following ideas:
1) the intestines need something to push on (i.e. "fiber) for regular bowl movements and in order to push out old material
2) we can become dependent on coffee and similar substances for peristalsis and regularity

I never had problems with regularity before starting coffee for a year. I dealt OK when I went off of it as well. However, recently I thought I had a fecal impaction (days of constipation). I don't know what caused it besides traveling (and I might have been exposed to eggs, which I'm allergic to). I tried all the tricks to get rid of it:
lots of magnesium citrate, fiber (several carrots each morning), eating coconut oil several times per day, eating yogurt and probiotics, drinking extra water, pushing lots on the harder parts of my intestine (I know some shiatsu), running a few miles, jumping up-and-down. I did not try the drinking a bottle of salt water oral enema technique because I would worried if the impaction was too solid it could cause a serious build-up.

Otherwise, I'm in seemingly perfect health. I do not want to be dependent on coffee to eliminate. I think I'm mildly allergic to it. Furthermore, I wake up earlier and feel way better rested when I go off coffee. Note: coffee doesn't make it hard for me to sleep at night - it actually makes me more sleepy. My body temp is always pretty high. In fact, the only time I get cold is if I drink coffee for too many days in a row. I'm one of those people folks say is blessed with a good metabolism and health and wahtnot... But I still want to figure out my gut sensitivity and related issues.
Note: I do not eat gluten due to brain-fog, or eggs due to an allergy I developed 6 years ago (which results in weird sensations of tightness in the esophagus, and hives if I eat lots of them for several days in a row).

Ideas?

Tom

Do you eat a lot of cheese and meat (high protein)? Tried sodium bicarbonate?

I would limit myself to one large carrot a day since it seems to me like the sweet spot. Other than that you can try hot showers and heavy clothes and calf liver which you can blend without losing the effects.

OP
O
After about 4days of trying everything I listed above and no significant peristalsis, I broke down and drank a large iced coffee and it worked out. I don't want to be dependent on that.

Tom, I do eat a significant amount of cheese and meat. I didn't try sodium bicarbonate
Such_Saturation, hot showers and heavy clothes? Doesn't seem related in any significant way. I eat liver semi-regularly.

BobbyDukes

I have the same issue, but on a more on going basis. I wake up with awful temperatures (36), and I still cannot work out whether my digestive woes are down to the diet I am on, or whether it is a side effect of my awful baseline metabolism.

Of course, I never previously had these problems. Going everyday (pre-Peat) was normal for me. But my previous diets are why I am here (declining health). I Just wish my bowells would come with me. They struggle big time with animal protein. I don't get constipated from butter.

The only thing that works (sometimes) for me, is cascara and that has to be taken away from anything else (so, for me, morning is best).

I do think that when you are on the go, your body can get tired/stressed very easily. I never ever have the urge to relieve myself when I am at work (my job is on my feet all day). The urge to go can sometimes hit me immedietely when I finish work, drive home and walk through my front door.

Amazoniac

The composition of the dry part of the stool is mostly undigested matter and bacteria. Have you tried increasing your plant foods intake? Especially soluble (RS, etc) and insoluble fiber.
I would do in between your larger meals:
Carrot salad (don't spread over the day; concentrate and don't eat them in excess)
Another option - Onions, leeks and garlic + celery + cooked and cooled potatoes or yams + deseeded bell peppers, tomatoes or cucumber. Add fats and acids to your taste. All raw with the exception of the starches.
If you decide to try, let us know how it went..

OP
O
BobbyDukes, my temps and all other health indicators are consistently good. I'm usually within a few decimals of 98.6F. Once the Peat indicators are in rage, then why not pay attention to issues like the gut-brain axis as discussed in Datis Kharrazian's work?

I am trying to eat more frequently. I had a bunch of this a few weeks ago:
http://www.amazon.com/ParaZyte-Parasite ... B0095YM60Y
and that seemed to get me to that less-than-average state. I wanted to rule out parasites for my on-going non-optimal bowels.

The book which speaks to my gut experiences the most is "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" It's information about the gut-brain axis doesn't seem to be very well accounted for in the Peat community.

Amazoniac

Amazoniac said:
The composition of the dry part of the stool is mostly undigested matter and bacteria. Have you tried increasing your plant foods intake? Especially soluble (RS, etc) and insoluble fiber.
I would do in between your larger meals:
Carrot salad (don't spread over the day; concentrate and don't eat them in excess)
Another option - Onions, leeks and garlic + celery + cooked and cooled potatoes or yams + deseeded bell peppers, tomatoes or cucumber. Add fats and acids to your taste. All raw with the exception of the starches.
If you decide to try, let us know how it went..

One of the reasons that this might work in your case is that when you feed gut microbes, you overall population there increases, both symbiotic and pathogens. This process increases the immune system activity and with time it will probably balance and control the microbes in your favour. So discomfort at first is expected.
You only have to be careful your immune system while doing this. Fat-soluble vitamins, enough protein/carbohydrates and sunlight should all help.

oxidation_is_normal said:
Such_Saturation, hot showers and heavy clothes? Doesn't seem related in any significant way.

Many things don't...

jyb

BobbyDukes said:
I do think that when you are on the go, your body can get tired/stressed very easily. I never ever have the urge to relieve myself when I am at work (my job is on my feet all day). The urge to go can sometimes hit me immedietely when I finish work, drive home and walk through my front door.

I know this. It shows the impact of psychology but not necessarily stress in my experience. However, I'm not sure if its really impacting digestion or simply release (in the latter case, food has digested and is simply waiting near the rectum).

Tom

Cheese is one of the most constipating foods, I think because it unlike milk has no potassium. So unless this is supplied by extra fruits and vegetables, a sodium bicarbonate supplement is highly recommended. For example 1/2-1 tsp twice daily for a few days followed by 1/2-1 tsp as maintenance dosage, depending on what works for you. 1 tsp may be required to balance out 200 grams of cheese. I also believe food sensitivities are largely caused by a deficiency of the alkaline minerals, as is often inflammation in general.

Tom said:
Cheese is one of the most constipating foods, I think because it unlike milk has no potassium. So unless this is supplied by extra fruits and vegetables, a sodium bicarbonate supplement is highly recommended. For example 1/2-1 tsp twice daily for a few days followed by 1/2-1 tsp as maintenance dosage, depending on what works for you. 1 tsp may be required to balance out 200 grams of cheese. I also believe food sensitivities are largely caused by a deficiency of the alkaline minerals, as is often inflammation in general.

Do you mean potassium bicarbonate?

Tom

No, sodium bicarbonate. That is I believe the alkaline minerals can substitute for one another, so a lack of potassium can be counteracted with sodium. 1 tsp of sodium bicarbonate would have maybe 1000-1500 mg sodium, and according to one assessment the "alkaline" effect of sodium is 50% higher than for potassium, hence it may be equivalent to 2000 mg of potassium. This is roughly what´s missing in 200 grams of cheese vs 2 quarts of milk. This is in theory, but I do know that sodium bicarbonate relieves cheese induced constipation in myself.

OP
O
Ya, I don't think I'm deficient in any of those. I eat plenty of things which contain lots of salt, mag, calcium, and potassium. And there is no correlation between eating a food that has a lot of one of those (i.e. milk) and peristalsis in myself.

OP
O
Coffee doesn't induce peristalsis consistently - like it used to. If it did, then I would end up using it more often. It used to give me evacuation within 10m consistently. I don't know when/why that stopped happening. I do think I'm semi-allergic to coffee though. The stuff just makes me tired.

It only does that if you take it without sugar.

Tom

Ya, I don't think I'm deficient in any of those. I eat plenty of things which contain lots of salt, mag, calcium, and potassium. And there is no correlation between eating a food that has a lot of one of those (i.e. milk) and peristalsis in myself.

It really depends on the overall load of the so called "alkaline" minerals versus the "acidic" rather than the absolute amount of any of them, one can bind with another and be excreted, so it´s the net surplus that matters. So I would be interested in knowing how much cheese you consume versus vegetables and fruits. Salt (sodium chloride) doesn´t really count as the chloride balances out the sodium, and magnesium is relatively ineffective because it is provided in such small amounts in supplements relative to potassium in foods.

OP
O
Such_Saturation said:

Why would you ever make confident claims about someone else's experience without first asking them? Your claim is patently false anyway. There are plenty of mechanisms whereby a substance can make you tired... For example, if you have an allergic reaction to it. Saying, "just eat your [allergic substance x] with sugar, so you don't have that problem" is not any less silly.

OP
O
Tom said:

It really depends on the overall load of the so called "alkaline" minerals versus the "acidic" rather than the absolute amount of any of them, one can bind with another and be excreted, so it´s the net surplus that matters. So I would be interested in knowing how much cheese you consume versus vegetables and fruits. Salt (sodium chloride) doesn´t really count as the chloride balances out the sodium, and magnesium is relatively ineffective because it is provided in such small amounts in supplements relative to potassium in foods.

I went back and forth. Ate a lot of cheese, ice cream, milk, cream, etc a couple weeks ago. But recently took a bunch of magnesium citrate because it is recommended specifically for constipation. Would that count as having increased the net surplus of each?

Such_Saturation said:

Why would you ever make confident claims about someone else's experience without first asking them? Your claim is patently false anyway. There are plenty of mechanisms whereby a substance can make you tired... For example, if you have an allergic reaction to it. Saying, "just eat your [allergic substance x] with sugar, so you don't have that problem" is not any less silly.

I was referring to the ten minute bowel movement, which retraces what I have experienced very closely.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals