Methylene Blue Powder - Sources And Handling/Dosage

OP
W

Wilfrid

jyb said:
Wilfrid said:
I don't know if, for those living in the US, the product is available; however for those living in the EU this is a very good product. :D

http://www.provepharm.com/Proveblue-R,7

So did you experiment with it Wilfrid? Tell us about it...

I used it to treat a wart that I got on my throat while shaving a few months ago.
RP initially recommended me topical progesterone or topical iodine but also mentionned the MB treatment while sending me a study ( I just posted it on the forum) on MB effectiveness on fungal, bacterial infection.
I bought the product in my chemist, without prescriptions, at 40 euros ( 1 pack of 5 ampoules ).
I diluted one ampoule in 45ml of purified water and used it topically, 18 days , to get rid of the wart.
It worked like magic and the wart fall off. While still free of any crohn's relapse, I'm still struggling with some immune system related skin problems, wart being one of them.
However, long story made short: I used this product as topical treatment and was astonished by the quick result.

Below Ray's answer about wart treatment:

I have used progesterone topically on a couple of warts, and they slowly shrank over a period of weeks. Sometimes a bacterial or fungal infection can cause a firm lump to develop, and in that case topical iodine might help. Methylene blue could be helpful too.

Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy (2005) 2, 175—191.  REVIEW
Methylene blue in photodynamic therapy: From basic mechanisms to clinical applications
Jo ̃ao Paulo Tardivo, Auro Del Giglio, Carla Santos de Oliveira, Dino Santesso Gabrielli, Helena Couto Junqueira,
Dayane Batista Tada, Divinomar Severino,
Rozane de F ́atima Turchiellob, Mauricio S. Baptista PhDb,∗
a Faculdade de Medicina ABC, Av. Pr ́ıncipe de Gales, 821, C.P. 106, CEP 09060-650, Brazil b Departamento de Bioqu ́ımica, IQ-USP, C.P. 26077, 05513-970 Sa ̃o Paulo, SP, Brazil
Contents
Summary Methylene blue (MB) is a molecule that has been playing important roles in microbiology and pharmacology for some time. It has been widely used to stain living organisms, to treat methemoglobinemia, and lately it has been considered as a drug for photodynamic therapy (PDT). In this review, we start from the fundamental photophysical, photochemical and photobiological characteristics of this molecule and evolved to show in vitro and in vivo applications related to PDT. The clinical cases shown include treatments of basal cell carcinoma, Kaposi’s Sarcoma, melanoma, virus and fungal infections. We concluded that used together with a recently developed continuous light source (RL50®), MB has the potential to treat a variety of cancerous and non-cancerous diseases, with low toxicity and no side effects.

Peatit

Wilfrid said:
I bought the product in my chemist, without prescriptions, at 40 euros ( 1 pack of 5 ampoules ).
Was it a pack of 10 or 2 ml ampules of METHYLTHIONINIUM CHLORIDE PROVEBLUE?
FYI I'm interested in using it orally and I'm not sure if it is a good option from an economical standpoint in regard of the usual dosages I've seen (20mg several times a day?)

OP
W

Wilfrid

Hi Peatit,
It was the pack of 5 x 10 ml.
You're right, if you decide to use the dose you mentionned, it will quickly become expensive.
The oral use of this stuff is really tricky, though.

jyb

Wilfrid, you paid too much. I found 100g of pure MB powder online for £17. It's pharmaceutical grade and seems approved even for oral use (medical source). Of course you'd have to do the dosing yourself, which is not trivial if you aim for an exact small figure of 60mcg for example, but in terms of quantity 100g is huuuuge.

jyb

I'll only give by private message so that it doesn't dry up. It's from the UK and have no idea if it can be international.

OP
W

Wilfrid

jyb said:
Wilfrid, you paid too much. I found 100g of pure MB powder online for £17. It's pharmaceutical grade and seems approved even for oral use (medical source). Of course you'd have to do the dosing yourself, which is not trivial if you aim for an exact small figure of 60mcg for example, but in terms of quantity 100g is huuuuge.

Thanks for the info.
Could you also ( by PM ) send the link to me? :pray
Like Peatit, I promise to not spread the information. :shh:
:thankyou

Peatit

jyb said:
Of course you'd have to do the dosing yourself, which is not trivial if you aim for an exact small figure of 60mcg for example, but in terms of quantity 100g is huuuuge.

For an orally usage:

Let's say the scale I own is able to measure 1g more or less accurately and I want to have a liquid solution which allows me to get a dose of 20 µg in a practical way, for example for a drop of solution (0,05 ml/drop)

1) I dilute 1g in 1 liter of bottled water --> the concentration of this solution will be 1000 µg/ml
2) I dilute 1 ml (20 drops) of this in 20 ml of water again to obtain a solution with 50 µg/ml
3) I would take to start a dose of 2 drops 3 times a day (0,1 ml x 50µg/ml x 3= total daily dose of 15 µg)

I've got a few questions (and please, do not answer if you're not sure of what you're talking about, I don't want to die yet :lol: ):

a) are my calculations above correct?
b)is the error margin large enough?
c) Is it ok to use bottled water?
d) Do you think I can store for a long time the solution(s) and if yes can I keep it in bottles of mineral water?

Thanks a lot

Suikerbuik

That's correct, I am only unsure about the volume of a drop. Which is probably variable too.

If your scale can do 1g accurate you should be fine. Mix carefully and take your time for this step. Also try to find out if this compound sticks to plastic or glass, or in best case neither to both.

You might try to cook the water on beforehand? Or maybe you can get your hands on Millipore syringe 0.20 or 0.45 um filters. That would be best I guess!

Peatit

I've read on another post that MB in its powdered form is a pain in the **s to handle which I can easily believe.
And I realize that the Wilfrid's solution is not so expensive for an oral use because each ampule contains 50 mg (50.000 µg) so for the whole pack you have 250.000 µg which should last approx. 30 years at 20 µg/d :D .
And this is a 100% genuine pharmaceutical grade product which somehow reassures me.
The obvious problem is the storage time, can the solution be stored in a glass bottle for a long time according to you?
With Wilfrid's source, I would dissolve one ampule in one liter of distilled water (for a final concentration of 50µg/ml which is very practical).
This liter would be stored for a long time (let's say one year or so) and I would only use it to fill the eyedropper.
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, the MB thread is awfully long...

qd01a

I tried doing this too, but slightly differently. I measured out 25mg of pure methylene blue, and diluted it in 500ml of water, which should lead to the same concentration of as Peatit described. I thought that by the time Peatit got to the final dilution, the blue color would be pretty light. However, upon adding 25mg/500ml, the water is still a very deep blue (ie. you can barely even see through the holding container). Is the fully diluted solution still supposed to be that blue? Or did I miss a decimal point somewhere. Thanks!

tara

However, upon adding 25mg/500ml, the water is still a very deep blue (ie. you can barely even see through the holding container). Is the fully diluted solution still supposed to be that blue? Or did I miss a decimal point somewhere.
If my calcs are right:
Your 25mg/500ml would be 50mg/l, right?
For comparison, I put 1 drop oxidal, which should be ~400mcg MB, in ~400ml water for my daily dose (divided).
The drop (~8mg/ml, 8g/l) is very dark blue.
The final dilution (~1mcg/ml, 1mg/l) is pale blue.

Storage-wise, I think it can keep a long time, but breaks down with heat - best stored in a dark place.

qd01a

If my calcs are right:
Your 25mg/500ml would be 50mg/l, right?
For comparison, I put 1 drop oxidal, which should be ~400mcg MB, in ~400ml water for my daily dose (divided).
The drop (~8mg/ml, 8g/l) is very dark blue.
The final dilution (~1mcg/ml, 1mg/l) is pale blue.

Storage-wise, I think it can keep a long time, but breaks down with heat - best stored in a dark place.

Yes, that's what I was going for, equivalent to 50mg/l which I calculated as equivalent to Peatit's 0,1 ml x 50µg/ml x 3= total daily dose of 15 µg (if 1g MB in 1L = 1000µg/ml, then he dilutes that by 20 times, it comes to 50mg/l, or 25mg/500ml).

But my formulation is more like a dark blue (like inkjet ink) rather than a pale washed-out blue. However, you said your final solution was 1µg/ml, whereas his is 50µg/ml. So it sounds like his would be 50 times darker than yours. Do you agree with the 15 µg daily dosage (which with your formulation, would be 15 ml per day)?

Last edited:

Tommix

I live in Europe i buy from local dealer of chemical reagents 98.5% pure MB 50 grams powder for 6 euros. 50 g. will last for like 100 years :D

Last edited:

squanch

As far as I know, the "ProveBlue" is the only methylene blue currently available that is manufactured with this new "heavy metal contaminant free" process. Or at least that's what they say.
It's currently still sold as "Methylthioniniumchlorid Proveblue 5mg/ml", is only available with a prescription (at least here in Germany) and expensive (around 50 € for 1 ampoule with 50 mg methylene blue)

Other "Pharmaceutical grade" methylene blue ampoules are easily available without a prescription for whatever reason, but still expensive
"Methylenblaulösung 1 % BLUEtopic" would be one for Germany (60 € for 100 mg methylene blue). It's the same stuff they use in hospitals.
It does have glucose monohydrate as an additional ingredient though, does anybody know how that would effect the shelf life? They say 28 days after opening on their website, that's for use during actual surgeries though.

Not sure how to get my hands on the raw material (pharmaceutical grade methylene blue powder) they use to manufacture these injection ampoules.
"Lab grade" methylene blue powder from chemical suppliers is easily availabable and I've used it in the past, but it's definitely a little sketchy. I assume that's the same quality they use in the fish tank products.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals