Our Shoot With Ray

OP
bradley

bradley

In the 50s as a teacher in Mexico, being rather poor, Ray tried wheat germ as a staple of his diet. This was before realizing the importance of the phosphorous/calcium ratio, and other mineral absorption issues it causes. Pretty much wrecked his teeth because of it.

Kasper said:
I think he looks young compared to most 77's.

But his voice sounds quite old.

His teeth don't look healthy at all. Most are yellow, some black holes it seems. Too much sugar ?

Peat's_Girl

That's sad.

(That his sugar diet didn't magically grow all his teeth back.)

I'm quitting this diet!!! ;D

Peat's_Girl

No seriously... It makes me so sad. He looks a lot worse now... I hope he doesn't find his unsolicited followers too demanding... Maybe we're stressing him out? He used to look so peppy and fresh! No wonder he removed his contact info! He probably doesn't want to read about bowel movements and blood work all day long...

Get better Dr. Peat <3 <3 <3

narouz

Peat's_Girl said:
No seriously... It makes me so sad. He looks a lot worse now... I hope he doesn't find his unsolicited followers too demanding... Maybe we're stressing him out? He used to look so peppy and fresh! No wonder he removed his contact info! He probably doesn't want to read about bowel movements and blood work all day long...

Get better Dr. Peat <3 <3 <3

Do you hang out with many 78 year-olds?
He looks good!
But for me the condition of his mind is most important.
Peat never said his diet was a Fountain of Cosmetic Youth
capable of turning anyone into Bradley Cooper or Olivia Wilde. :lol:

Shredder2

Interesting. Never seen a long term heavy fruit eater with decent teeth (of course, they all have a story about how it wasn't the fruit). Doug Graham's are horrific. Really wasn't expecting Peat's to be bad (of course, it wasn't the fruit with Peat, either).

It's not the sugar. We know that long term heavy milk drinkers have had fine teeth.

T

tobieagle

Instead of looking forward to what we has to say, people get obsessed with analysing his looks.
A mirror of our pathetic culture. :)

tobieagle said:
Instead of looking forward to what we has to say, people get obsessed with analysing his looks.

Well why do you think people got here in the first place :(

barefooter

I think Ray looks pretty good, and is obviously very mentally sharp for his age. However, I don't think he's obscenely healthy looking, and I've met a share of older people that still look good and are sharp. I think a lot of people obsess over his looks because they're trying to make him an example of how right his dietary advice is, which seems a little silly.

narouz

We would all love it if a nutritional guru came to light,
and we followed him/her,
and they were like 109 years old and looked like Scarlett Johansson or Ryan Gosling or whatever.

We could shop around for the sexiest old-but-young-looking nutritional gurus out there... :)

Mittir

narouz said:
and we followed him/her,
and they were like 109 years old and looked like Scarlett Johansson or Ryan Gosling or whatever.

We could shop around for the sexiest old-but-young-looking nutritional gurus out there... :)

I think Jack LaLanne fits the image of very healthy looking nutritional guru, particularly
suitable for body builders. Ray Peat reminds me of Chiron, the wounded healer.
I seriously doubt RP would spend a large part of his life researching nutrition if he did not
have serious health issues from childhood.

narouz

Mittir said:
narouz said:
and we followed him/her,

I think Jack LaLanne fits the image of very healthy looking nutritional guru, particularly
I seriously doubt RP would spend a large part of his life researching nutrition if he did not

He has surmised in interviews that he inherited his mother's hypothyroidism, I think.
And he has said he was given a "fatal" dose of radiation by...was it those weird foot-xrays machines
that were popularized in Peat's early years...?
And, so I've heard reported here, in the '50's, he ate wheat germ as a staple food
and it messed up his teeth.
He wasn't a movie star to start out with.

On an astrological note,
I have a friend who is an astrologer
and he is pretty keen on Chiron. :)

Nicholas

Mittir said:
narouz said:
and we followed him/her,

great point on the wounded healer.

ken

Since we are talking health guru's, the stuff you can now find about Paul Bragg is hilarious. Seems the founder of the California Food Cults subtracted ten years from this age to demonstrate the value of his products and advice. When the twenty three year old life insurance salesman opened the first health food store in LA he told people he was thirty three. The rest of his creation myth was rubbish too. I once wrote Peat and said he had better live a long time to prove this stuff. I was probably mistaken to say it, because really the reshaping of the scientific paradigm is probably more important to him. And any individuals death is often random.

dd99

Did anyone see the BBC's Eat To Live Forever? Giles Coren investigates the calorie restriction, Paleo and frutarian diets. If you've never seen Coren before, he's a brilliantly sarcastic guy.

What really struck me in the show was how much pressure Mark Sisson was under to look 'healthy'. He's pretty much destroyed his face with the usual Hollywood plastic surgery and he looks like he has three personal trainers following him around to keep his pecs taut.

burtlancast

One thing i've learned these last few years is that, whatever the field or subject, the telly will NEVER, EVER give you any semblance of truth.

Except for the soccer results.

dd99

burtlancast said:
One thing i've learned these last few years is that, whatever the field or subject, the telly will NEVER, EVER give you any semblance of truth.

Yeah, burt, true. What I found most disconcerting about the show was that he kept referring the 'far out' ideas to a doctor back in London, who obviously had no knowledge of or training in nutrition and just spouted the usual anti saturated fat, pro PUFA, grains essential etc. The public who don't know better would listen to that and follow her advice.

javacody

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I've read that there are over 10 hours of footage with Ray.

I'd love to see all of it.

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
You watchin the women's World Cup? :mrgreen:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals