Grown Mammals do not drink milk

Bodhi

Hi,

Ray Peat refers to animal studies and promotes milk.

Grown mammals do not drink milk, so why is it logical to drink it as grown humans???

Bodhi

DKayJoe

Just yesterday I gave the cat that hangs around work a saucer of whole milk with salt in it, it was gone in seconds. Grown mammals may not actively seek out milk but they do drink it.

XPlus

They don't cook their food or do LSD, either.

Brian

Most mammals live in a harsh survival situation. Females don't have extra milk to give.

They don't know how to domesticate a suitable species and raise them for their milk. Humans on the other hand figured this out at least thousands of years ago and acquired an excellent source of reliable nutrition. That being said, I don't think milk is essential for thriving health. Enough protein and calcium from other sources are probably just as good.

mt_dreams

It's logical b/c it it's a great source of carbs, fats, proteins, minerals, vitamins, etc.

it's illogical to not do something b/c we don't see other mammals doing it. Our eating habits (much like many other habits) are completely different then any other animal on this planet. this ideology shouldn't even come up.

My friends dogs love milk ... way more than most things he feeds them. So the question to ask would be, if a particular bunch of mammals decide they prefer milk as adults, how exactly would they carry this desire out? The wild doesn't really set up well for wild mammals to just go out looking for milking mothers.

I would imagine nature did not include this in mammals actions b/c it puts a lot of stress on the mother to make all this extra milk. In the wild, the mother is stressing about her newborns, not to mention the lack of energy from the whole childbirth/milking. These kinds of stresses do not occur, for the most part, on a properly run pasture, so we're able to make it work.

It's also a lot more life promoting than eating meat is. There's a reason why the land of milk & honey is considered a utopian paradise.

XPlus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2713Xp96ht0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoX29IZcKGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-0wJq2G9g
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gg3mz

I remember a scene of adult monkeys harassing either a goat or a cow to breastfeed on her milk.

For animals, it's a question of availability rather then demand.
We, humans, once grown up, don't seek breastfeeding from other humans but we have the capacity to obtain the milk from animals.
For other mammals, they also do not breastfeed after a certain point of development but their capacity to obtain it from other animals is limited.

Regardless of reason, if milk is a substance that can be utilised as fuel, why shouldn't be drank.
I haven't heard of any animal eating lentil but this doesn't serve to justify whether we should eat lentil.
Justification, here, arises from utility, rather than comparability.

nikotrope

I see this argument against milk every now and then and I slowly lose faith in humanity's ability to think by themselves.

Amazoniac

Brian said:
Most mammals live in a harsh survival situation. Females don't have extra milk to give.

They don't know how to domesticate a suitable species and raise them for their milk. Humans on the other hand figured this out at least thousands of years ago and acquired an excellent source of reliable nutrition. That being said, I don't think milk is essential for thriving health. Enough protein and calcium from other sources are probably just as good.

Yes.. It's just more convenient and safe to obtain nutrients that are already balanced for mammals.

SQu

While there are cultures that don't routinely drink milk past infancy, making this question understandable, what I find odd is that even in cultures like mine where we do, people are starting to say "milk is for baby cows and it's weird to drink it as adults". I wonder why, although we can easily see that it plays into the hands of those who make bigger profits when health declines.

halken

Because we are a technological species. When we are born into the world, we a wholly dependent on the materials of the earth to survive. We create things to protect us, to shelter us, to heat in times of famine and to nourish us beyond previous knowledge of nutrition.

Most animals evolve more on physical traits. Humans evolve through the mind.

A calf can run within hours. A baby takes years. A hawk is born with talons for defense and gathering food etc. Humans acquire materials to create spears etc many years after birth.

We have a more intimate relationship with the environment. We also evolved through co-operation (it's our primary cause on this planet) much more than other animals (followed by the structure of our hands and fingers).

Milk is a foodstuff technology (like oil, butter, juice etc). It is a nutritional byproduct of our evolved mind.

Zachs

We Re the ultimate omnivore with no one true diet. We can survive and most times thrive off of just about any combination of food. We are certainly not the same as other mammals so why try and compare.

jyb

Bodhi said:
Hi,

Ray Peat refers to animal studies and promotes milk.

Grown mammals do not drink milk, so why is it logical to drink it as grown humans???

Bodhi

They do drink milk. Humans are mammals. Haven't you heard of the many dairy tribes that live on milk basically? It seems like a pretty natural thing to do, given some are way healthier than current Western cultures.

Amazoniac

sueq said:
While there are cultures that don't routinely drink milk past infancy, making this question understandable, what I find odd is that even in cultures like mine where we do, people are starting to say "milk is for baby cows and it's weird to drink it as adults". I wonder why, although we can easily see that it plays into the hands of those who make bigger profits when health declines.

Just curious, where are you from?

gabriel79

Haha. My dog (a Beagle) would lick any milk spilt on the floor, including my wife's when she was breastfeeding.

SQu

Amazoniac I am South African but am of European descent. And you?