4 years of Pufa Detox

BingDing

I agree, EnoreeG, there are a lot of things I wish Ray would explain more. Maybe there are just no clear answers and he says what he thinks is best. He certainly has a focus on metabolism and is pretty consistent about not eating estrogenic foods and supplements.

People are free to eat what they think is best for them, of course.

montmorency

Zachs said:
Don't think too many people have known about RP for 4 years, let alone followed a strict diet plan of avoiding pufa. Durian Rider and Freelee are two people who have avoided pufa long term...

The late Barry Groves, a British writer on diet & health, and long-term advocate of low-carbs, wrote in his books and articles about the dangers of PUFA years ago.
(It's a myth that all low-carbers are pro-PUFAs ).

jyb

montmorency said:
Zachs said:
Don't think too many people have known about RP for 4 years, let alone followed a strict diet plan of avoiding pufa. Durian Rider and Freelee are two people who have avoided pufa long term...

The late Barry Groves, a British writer on diet & health, and long-term advocate of low-carbs, wrote in his books and articles about the dangers of PUFA years ago.

There are others who have written online against pufa many, many years ago. Same for vegetables, cortisol, hypoglycaemia, oxidative stress, emphasis on cellular respiration, Gilbert Ling, gluten, starch... A blog like Hyperlipid has combined all those over the years. What makes Peat unique in my opinion are the sugar issues, especially on fructose, fatty acid oxidation and blood sugar regulation - that's where I see the core disagreement and where I'm much more undecided.

YuraCZ

montmorency said:
Zachs said:

If you are on the low carb diet(high fat) = You also consume a lot of pufa in comparison with someone on high carb ( low fat) diet..

jyb

YuraCZ said:
If you are on the low carb diet(high fat) = You also consume a lot of pufa in comparison with someone on high carb ( low fat) diet..

Ruminant fat have very low ratio of omega to mono and saturated fats. Ray's articles and studies on longevity often talk about pufa damage in the context of this key ratio. Taking a capsule with 5grams of pufa is not the same as drinking milk or cream containing 5grams of pufa - the ratio and the presence of protection from saturated fats differ.

Dutchie

BingDing said:
I agree, EnoreeG, there are a lot of things I wish Ray would explain more. Maybe there are just no clear answers and he says what he thinks is best. He certainly has a focus on metabolism and is pretty consistent about not eating estrogenic foods and supplements.

What I find confusing is talking about not eating estrogenic foods,while a lot of these recommended foods are on the list of high estrogen food: all dairy,eggs , meat, potatos,carrots,cherries,dates,papaya...
A lot of the foods which are spoken more badly about around here,are actually the ones that are on the estrogen blocking foodlist.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dutchie said:
BingDing said:

What I find confusing is talking about not eating estrogenic foods,while a lot of these recommended foods are on the list of high estrogen food: all dairy,eggs , meat, potatos,carrots,cherries,dates,papaya...
A lot of the foods which are spoken more badly about around here,are actually the ones that are on the estrogen blocking foodlist.

Virtually all foods of plant origin will have some (phyto)estrogens in them. I think the importance here is how strong their effects is on humans. Foods like soy and licorice contains estrogens that are more potent then estradiol itself, and as such should be avoided. Fruits contain less phytoestrogens (on average) than plants, and most fruits have phenols that uncouple mitochondria. More importantly, fruits tend to contain much more salicylic acid than vegetables, which should help negate some/most of the estrogenic compounds in the fruit.
As far as the animal products - if raised properly they will have less estrogen and more androgens, progesterone, cholesterol, etc. It is the animal fat that should be avoided since it contains most of the estrogens unless it is saturated as found in beef, lamb, goat, etc. However, commercially sources beef/lamb will likely have tons of estrogens in the fat, so it's probably best avoided. Pork fat is not only mostly PUFA/MUFA but also packed with estrogens. Same goes for chicken and turkey fat, duck fat tends to be better (more SFA/MUFA) but it's still heavy PUFA.