postpartum hair loss

catan

I had my second baby 6 months ago, and have been shedding hair for the past couple of months. It seems worse than the first time with my older daughter (now 4). I never regained the hair I had pre-pregnancy, and now my hair has thinned out quite a lot. I feel pretty good generally so rather surprised at this.

I'm tandem nursing, and probably get up 2-5 times a night to breastfeed. I'm not that tired during the day though. Kids and I go out for sun and fresh air most days of the week.

Is there anything I can do to stop the hair loss and regrow hair? My diet consists mainly of rice, eggs, fruits, OJ, milk, cheese, dried fruit (dates/apricots), weekly liver, oysters, oxtail; carrot salad; coffee with sugar, milk, gelatin.. pork/beef/chicken/fish a few times a week. No supplements.

Hugh Johnson

"The hair loss that occurs in hypothyroidism, postpartum syndrome, and with the use of drugs such as St. John's wort (which can also cause the “serotonin syndrome”) could be another effect of excess serotonin."

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/trypt ... ging.shtml

Could be excess serotonin or just hypothyroidism. Aspririn to reduce tryptophan, BCAAs for serotonin maybe. Progesterone also blocks tissue degeneration.

tara

Tandem nursing must take a lot out of you. Eating at least 3000 cals a day? Plenty of calcium?

OP
C

catan

tara said:
Tandem nursing must take a lot out of you. Eating at least 3000 cals a day? Plenty of calcium?

I don't track usually, but plugged a day's intake into cronometer, and it comes out to around 2800 cals. I feel like I'm eating all day right now, my only physical activity being taking care of kids, occasional housework, going out for a walk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 9.24.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 9.24.39 AM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 9.24.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 9.24.52 AM.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 352

tara

Taking care of kids and nursing and associated housework are all demanding work, even if it is sometimes undervalued.
I'm glad you're not following cronometer's advice that you only needing 1561 cals to do that. :)
Eating all day makes sense - I recall it being hard to make time for it. I had to eat at night too, when I was nursing, and then again before getting up in the morning if I wanted to avoid morning sickness, and I still lost the pregnancy weight, and was only nursing one at a time.
I don't know if it would help with hair loss specifically, but thinking interms of general needs, I wonder whether some niacinamide and maybe thiamine and other B-vits would help. And maybe the some fat-soluble vitamins? These look like they might be a little below requirements?