Fitness And Metabolism

Blinkyrocket

When talking in terms of ability to not get out of breath during physical exertion where does metabolism fit in? Does physical fitness and endurance come at the expense of a good metabolism or will someone with a good metabolism not tire/get out of breath so easily? in anyone's experience? Like if I were to train in mixed martial arts would increasing metabolism increase performance or would training decrease metabolism and subsequently increase performance...
A curiosity :geek:

LucH

Hi, I won't talk about general practice. See here for details
http://running.about.com/od/faqsforbegi ... breath.htm

Now let's talk about interdependance between health and fitness.
Fitness and endurance are not directly depending much upon metabolism. Of course, if you have problem to “metabolize”, it will have an impact on health (by side). We don't talk about performance here.
Here are some info’s to take into account to be fit: insulin – stress – lack of nutrients – lack of physical exercise – breathe and go out …

*) Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation – Sea details on the link.
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
From James Krieger, nutritionist (MS of University of Florida).

For other readers, let me take your attention to this point: Protein Is a Potent Stimulator of Insulin Too. Not only sugar does it! See the graph with “Insulin response to high protein and high carb meals”.

*) Stress: Too often stress bring high levels of cortisol. Cortisol will prevent from losing fat, and thus weight loss. Too often stressed will weaken adrenals. Loss of energy…
Source (in French):
Chronically elevated cortisol levels may cause a host of health problems.
http://www.masantenaturelle.com/chroniq ... _poids.php

What would help!
What would help you to achieve some therapeutic effects that may not be achieved through diet alone? In regards to vitamin, mineral and nutritional supplements supposed to be found in ancestral and traditional food.

1. If you live under or near 50 parallel, you’d better take care of your blood concentrations of vitamin D. Under 35 ng/ml, you’d better supplement … The same for people unable to get out into the sun on a regular basis. Only six months a year for many persons (Paris – Bordeaux – Brussel – London – Montreal – Etc.). + NY & Denver (40°) From March to november for the last two ones.

2. Hunter-gatherer ancestors consumed the entire carcass (brains, liver, marrow, gonads, etc.). These foods are rich sources of nutrients. But not too much. Once a week is enough. Mind liver sources (toxins and hormones).

3. Even if you consume large amounts of vegetables and few refined carbs, you’ll probably lack magnesium since our soils are very poor, if not deficient. Magnesium is useful in more than 300 enzymatic reactions. Magnesium is the comburant we need to start. Vitamins B are the fuel we need to carburise.

4. For people who eat vegan with a lot of rice, cereals, legumes and nuts they may be deficient in some nutrients, unless they compensate … (Zinc, iron and perhaps B12).

*) What you should look after:
Nutritional Adjuncts to the Fat-Soluble Vitamins A, D, and K
Vitamins A, D, and K cooperate synergistically not only with each other, but also with essential minerals like magnesium and zinc, with dietary fat, and with key metabolic factors like carbon dioxide and thyroid hormone. This level of complexity is a reminder that it is best to cooperate with the wisdom of nature by obtaining vitamins through nutrient-dense foods.
Vitamins A, D, and K2 interact synergistically to support immune health, provide for adequate growth, support strong bones and teeth, and protect soft tissues from calcification. Magnesium is required for the production of all proteins, including those that interact with vitamins A and D.
Many of the proteins involved in vitamin A metabolism and the receptors for both vitamins A and D only function correctly in the presence of zinc.
Dietary fat is necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
Source: Christopher Masterjohn

*) [highlight=yellow]Don’t digest if you have to run / exercise.[/highlight]
:yellohello
LucH

[mod=Moderator]This post contains alternatives to Ray Peat's views. For a full explanation click here.[/mod]

tara

My impression is that over training and endurance training can reduce base metabolism.
But movement/exertion that is not too much can be helpful by developing the physical system, including muscles and neurology.

How much is too much varies.
Josh Rubin reckoned you can tell if you're training too hard by monitoring temps and pulse.

Feeding yourself in ways that help limit the stress response to training and help with restoration and growth soon after training can help get more of the benefits and less of the risks - protein and carbs. And have fuel in your system when you train. There are threads with more detailed suggestions about this.

4peatssake

Blinkyrocket said:
When talking in terms of ability to not get out of breath during physical exertion where does metabolism fit in? Does physical fitness and endurance come at the expense of a good metabolism or will someone with a good metabolism not tire/get out of breath so easily? in anyone's experience? Like if I were to train in mixed martial arts would increasing metabolism increase performance or would training decrease metabolism and subsequently increase performance...
A curiosity :geek:
As tara said, there is a wealth of RP information both on the forum and in his articles and audio recordings about the connection between strenuous exercise, stress and metabolism.

To get access to RP's views on a subject you can use one or both of the forum's search engines to assist you.

Here are some examples of a results using the Ray Peat Search Engine created by dan wich.

Ray Peat said:
I’m not sure who introduced the term “aerobic” to describe the state of anaerobic metabolism that develops during stressful exercise, but it has had many harmful repercussions. In experiments, T3 production is stopped very quickly by even “sub-aerobic” exercise, probably because of the combination of a decrease of blood glucose and an increase in free fatty acids. In a healthy person, rest will tend to restore the normal level of T3, but there is evidence that even very good athletes remain in a hypothyroid state even at rest. A chronic increase of lactic acid and cortisol indicates that something is wrong. The “slender muscles” of endurance runners are signs of a catabolic state, that has been demonstrated even in the heart muscle. A slow heart beat very strongly suggests hypothyroidism. Hypothyroid people, who are likely to produce lactic acid even at rest, are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of “aerobic” exercise. The good effect some people feel from exercise is probably the result of raising the body temperature; a warm bath will do the same for people with low body temperature.

Ray Peat said:
Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.

Ray Peat said:
Lactic acid and carbon dioxide have opposing effects. Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism. There is clear evidence that glycolysis, producing lactic acid from glucose, has toxic effects, suppressing respiration and killing cells. Within five minutes, exercise lowers the activity of enzymes that oxidize glucose. Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and general aging involve increased lactic acid production and accumulated metabolic (mitochondrial) damage.

Ray Peat said:
The stressful conditions that physiologically harm mitochondria are now being seen as the probable cause for the mitochondrial genetic defects that accumulate with aging. Stressful exercise, which has been known to cause breakage of the nuclear chromosomes, is now seen to damage mitochondrial genes, too. Providing energy, while reducing stress, seems to be all it takes to reverse the accumulated mitochondrial genetic damage. Fewer mitochondrial problems will be considered to be inherited, as we develop an integral view of the ways in which mitochondrial physiology is disrupted. Palmitic acid, which is a major component of the cardiolipin which regulates the main respiratory enzyme, becomes displaced by polyunsaturated fats as aging progresses. Copper tends to be lost from this same enzyme system, and the state of the water is altered as the energetic processes change.

Ray Peat said:
Elite athletes are generally considered to have “good genes,” and exercise is commonly said to promote good health, so a new orientation is needed to accommodate the fact that “elite” athletes, winter or summer athletes, including participants in the Olympics, have a high incidence of asthma — roughly three times higher than the general population.

It turns out that exercise induces the signs and symptoms of asthma, not only in “asthmatics,” but in normal people too.

Anaerobic exercise (getting out of breath) increases the release of, or activity of, a large variety of inflammatory mediators, beginning with lactic acid and interleukin-6 releases from the exercised muscle itself, and including factors released from various cells in the blood, and hormones including estrogen, prolactin, and sometimes TSH

Ray Peat said:
Exercise physiologists, without mentioning functional systems, have recently discovered some principles that extend the discoveries of Meerson and Anokhin. They found that “concentric” contraction, that is, causing the muscle to contract against resistance, improves the muscle’s function, without injuring it. (Walking up a mountain causes concentric contractions to dominate in the leg muscles. Walking down the mountain injures the muscles, by stretching them, forcing them to elongate while bearing a load; they call that eccentric contraction.) Old people, who had extensively damaged mitochondrial DNA, were given a program of concentric exercise, and as their muscles adapted to the new activity, their mitochondrial DNA was found to have become normal.

Forum member cliff wrote a great blog post for athlete's following a Ray Peat inspired diet.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

I have read those articles and understand the connection but what I'm wondering now is why when someone gauges health they go by how out of breath you get when doing a physical activity, for example: a long time ago I was playing football with a few people and one guy was like "you guys are out of breath already?" And he was a fitness "freak" sorta.

What I wonder is how to not get out of breath without endurance exercise, I envy people who can run around and breathe easy and smoothe.

tara

Maybe train with your mouth shut, as recommended by Rakhimov at normalbreathing and other Buteyko practitioners?

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

tara said:
Maybe train with your mouth shut, as recommended by Rakhimov at normalbreathing and other Buteyko practitioners?
I've tried but then I feel like I'm suffocating, I've done enough suffocating in my life. I don't wanna find out that if I increase metabolism my breathing is gonna become harder to do :/

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
tara said:
I've tried but then I feel like I'm suffocating, I've done enough suffocating in my life.
Maybe that's a sign of training too hard?
Nowadays when I walk uphill, I limit my pace to what I can do with my mouth shut. That slows me down a little, but I think the overall effect is greater benefit/less harm from the exercise.

You can't optimize for everything. Decide what you want, focus on it, and let go of the neuroticism perfectionism. This is especially important at age 19.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

oxidation_is_normal said:
You can't optimize for everything. Decide what you want, focus on it, and let go of the neuroticism perfectionism. This is especially important at age 19.
Hey, you can't just let go of neuroticism, it's a part of me :P

Blinkyrocket said:

And the ego fights back. Go outside and get off the computer :)

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Besides this was mostly a theoretical post, I just like to know things and feel like I'm learning them from a reliable source.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket said:

And the ego fights back. Go outside and get off the computer :)
Wha?

4peatssake

Blinkyrocket said:
I have read those articles and understand the connection but what I'm wondering now is why when someone gauges health they go by how out of breath you get when doing a physical activity, for example: a long time ago I was playing football with a few people and one guy was like "you guys are out of breath already?" And he was a fitness "freak" sorta.

What I wonder is how to not get out of breath without endurance exercise, I envy people who can run around and breathe easy and smoothe.
keenan's post on cliff's blog provides some great tips for dealing with the stress of any kind of exertion although your mileage will vary.
Measuring health by how out of breath one gets during physical activity isn't helpful. If you are unable to breath comfortably through your nose during you are over exerting yourself.
RP recommends bag breathing to increase CO2.

Blinkyrocket said:
Besides this was mostly a theoretical post, I just like to know things and feel like I'm learning them from a reliable source.

Isn't that just further rationalization? You go on to more emotional posts... "I've tried but then I feel like I'm suffocating..."

It isn't wrong to make it personal, but a lot of care has to be taken to switch quickly between personal and objective-abstract perspectives. This is one thing Peat seems to be good at doing.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

4peatssake said:
Blinkyrocket said:

keenan's post on cliff's blog provides some great tips for dealing with the stress of any kind of exertion although your mileage will vary.
Measuring health by how out of breath one gets during physical activity isn't helpful. If you are unable to breath comfortably through your nose during you are over exerting yourself.
Cliffs blog?

4peatssake said:
Blinkyrocket said:

Right. The "bottleneck" stressor disabling the subject from comfortably nose breathing should pop out to their consciousness as such.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket said:

Isn't that just further rationalization? You go on to more emotional posts... "I've tried but then I feel like I'm suffocating..."

It isn't wrong to make it personal, but a lot of care has to be taken to switch quickly between personal and objective-abstract perspectives. This is one thing Peat seems to be good at doing.
I switched when people thought it was a post about me so since I did have a problem that spurred me to make this post, I went along with it.

tara

Blinkyrocket said:

You go on to more emotional posts... "I've tried but then I feel like I'm suffocating..."
This is a description of a physical sensation, not emotion. I assume it is accurate, and it seems very relevant to the issue blinky is trying to figure out.
I don't think it is neurotic to try to figure out how to address a major health issue.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals