Coffee

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Quote from article:

The past couple of years have seen findings, that, taken together, suggest that we should embrace coffee for reasons beyond the benefits of caffeine, and that we might go so far as to consider it a nutrient.

The title of Ray Peat's article that I read a dozen times before I finally decided to drink coffee:

Ray Peat said:
Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=285

Someone reading Ray Peat over there at The Atlantic? :mrgreen:

Great post narouz! Thank you.

sctb

Folks, I do apologize for my Peat ignorance here, but does consuming other
foods (milk, OJ, etc.) alongside coffee really offset the release of cortisol and
catecholamines?

- Scott

Attachments

• hair3.jpg
    hair3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 74
  • hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 69

gabriel79

Yes, that's why you should use sugar in it. To avoid the stress coming from the increase in metabolism and having no extra energy to support it.
BR

SheilaHelm1

Anybody got any opinions on Guarana, I have just bought some coffee called 'rocketfuel' with it added??
Wikipedia says it has 3 x more caffeine than coffee???
Would this be 'Peaty' or do you thing it would be bad because of possible PUFA content??
Thanks for any opinions beforehand
She x

OP
N

narouz

SheilaHelm1 said:
Anybody got any opinions on Guarana, I have just bought some coffee called 'rocketfuel' with it added??
Wikipedia says it has 3 x more caffeine than coffee???
Would this be 'Peaty' or do you thing it would be bad because of possible PUFA content??
Thanks for any opinions beforehand
She x

SH1-
Personally, I would be a little scared. :eek:

For about a week about a half a year ago
I didn't do my regular 2-4 cups of drip coffee,
and instead did Starbucks espressos.
Peat has said, I believe that espresso gets more caffeine
whereas drip gets more aroma.

Well, after a few days, I began having trouble sleeping at night.
I thought my thyroid supplement dosage maybe was off.
Then I thought: oh...I bet it's the espresso.
I changed back to drip and I could sleep.

Now, you add that Guarana...
well, just monitor your sleep.

SheilaHelm1

Hmmm, Interesting point Narouz. As always, I'm grateful for your valuable input on this great forum.
I'm pretty lucky that I seem to be able to drinks loads of coffee without it having much effect. I pretty much need it to get me through the day. I take on board what you say and might just try it for a couple of days to see if it does affect my sleep. Having said that, I'm a pretty awesome sleeper, could probably win a prize for it!!! Although I need my sleep too, so will definitely stop if it keeps me awake :cry:

gretchen

Refreshing idea in a world obsessed with eliminating all "addictive" substances.

Here's an article from last decade which kicked off the "get off coffee and sugar" thing so many people are in to now:
http://seattletimes.com/html/health/200 ... fee03.html

In the most comprehensive review and analysis of the effects of caffeine abstinence in humans published to date, the researchers conclude that as little as one small cup of coffee daily can produce caffeine addiction..........We need to recognize that caffeine really is a drug and accord it respect as a drug. People need to know what it does when they take it, and what it does when they cease to take it, and make an adult decision about that," said Roland Griffiths, professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins, who published the findings with his colleague, Laura Juliano, who teaches at American University.

kettlebell

Nutrition textbooks flatly describe caffeine as a drug, not a nutrient, as if it were obvious that nutrients can’t be drugs. Any of the essential nutrients, if used in isolation, can be used as a drug, for a specific effect on the organism that it wouldn’t normally have when eaten as a component of ordinary food.
- Ray Peat, Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen