PUFA Detox

OP
B

Birdie

Charlie, These are some really useful quotes. I'm thinking of the idea of stopping pufa in place of my old remedy, big doses of vit C. With Ray's exposing evidence of the heavy metals found in ascorbic acid, that old standby bit the dust for me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use to go the heavy dose vitamin C route. That's a road I don't travel anymore.

gretchen

Charlie said:
I use to go the heavy dose vitamin C route. That's a road I don't travel anymore.

Reason? I took high doses of vitamin C off and on in the 2000s, seemed to have a nice effect on my skin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I bought into the vitamin c hype.

Saturated-Phat

This ^^ is a quote that I wrote on an index card last March 1. I think it is a quote from one of the interviews. I didn't note which one. Sorry about that.

Then, I wrote this which cut off at the end:

Well, I've been thinking about pufa storage and how we get rid of them.
Glad to find this info on one of my cards that I unpacked today. I have a lot of good stuff on cards. :)

Does anybody know how Peat says pufas might not be released during stress? High blood levels of what would aid? Niacinamide? Vit E? Sugar? All of these and more?

Just to chuck my two cents in...I had very severe PUFA detox symptoms and have massively reduced it by a daily Aspirin or two (retards PUFA release) and a bit of bag-breathing and a spoonful of Bicarbonate of soda in water (keeps Co2 up). It works very very well. The other key thing that took me a while to grasp is that - if you have more PUFA being released into circulation than your liver can process at any given time it's very counter productive as it drags your metabolism back down and sends you're estrogen back up; so overall the detox process slows and is very counter-productive I found. I feel the best route is to keep the detox process very slow so your overall metabolism can stay high (and your thyroid, biochemistry and energy can keep improving throughout).

ColeSm

Ok so if your eating a healthy hormonal diet for most of your life and have like one or two days of intake of PUFAs like you have some cookies, etc...how much damage does that do? Like treating yourself..

Kyle Bigman

From Rob at functionalps:

“‎The larger the quantity of “toxic fat” stored in the body, the more careful the person must be about increasing metabolic and physical activity. Using more vitamin E, short-chain saturated fats, and other anti-lipid-peroxidation agents is important.” Ray Peat
If one has lots of stored fat, then how does one get rid of it safely?

OP
B

Birdie

Just to chuck my two cents in...I had very severe PUFA detox symptoms and have massively reduced it by a daily Aspirin or two (retards PUFA release) and a bit of bag-breathing and a spoonful of Bicarbonate of soda in water (keeps Co2 up). It works very very well. The other key thing that took me a while to grasp is that - if you have more PUFA being released into circulation than your liver can process at any given time it's very counter productive as it drags your metabolism back down and sends your estrogen back up; so overall the detox process slows and is very counter-productive I found. I feel the best route is to keep the detox process very slow so your overall metabolism can stay high (and your thyroid, biochemistry and energy can keep improving throughout).
This is a great answer to your question @Kyle Bigman. The thing is to go slow.

It wasn't easy.

D

danishispsychic

Nasty adrenaline liberating fatty acids that we want to keep in the cells while the liver slowly detoxes. Long periods of fasting don't look helpful with pufa detox.
fasting with electrolytes works well for me- potassium, sea salt, mag sulphate , baking soda , - no cortisol spikes