Progest-E Tastes Different

BingDing

That should work OK, HD. If you use 5 times as much progesterone and 5 times as much vit E it will be the same. For example, 12.5 g of progesterone and 4 fl oz of E. I don't think it has to be exact, the size of the drops from a progest-E bottle can vary pretty widely.

HDD

Thanks, BD, that is my reasoning, too. It doesn't have to be exactly 10% but I would probably lean toward less percentage progesterone than more. Once I find a proper container and determine which progesterone product is ideal, I am going to try it. The savings will enable me to give some away.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
A couple years ago I had some 2 ounce Amber glass bottles with a dropper cap. I'm sure they still make them. It's seems like something like that might work splendidly. I originally found them at the health food store near the aromatherapy products.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes! That's exactly the same. It looks like there are various sizes available too!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
As it turns out I currently have 10 1 ounce blue glass dropper bottles on hand if anyone wants a few. I'm moving soon and will be happy to mail a few (or all of them) to anyone interested. I was packing and found them boxed up in a closet and it's just one more thing to move at this point! Although I don't have many I would be glad to give them away to see if they work for the homemade progesterone experiment! PM me if interested and I will mail them for free while supplies last.

Peata

The progesterone in the links - can that be taken as a supplement under the tongue or put in gelatin capsules? I apparently need to take progesterone regularly in high enough doses to counteract the symptoms I get in my cycle, so I'm interested in getting it more economically than Progest E if possible.

Jennifer

Peata said:
The progesterone in the links - can that be taken as a supplement under the tongue or put in gelatin capsules? I apparently need to take progesterone regularly in high enough doses to counteract the symptoms I get in my cycle, so I'm interested in getting it more economically than Progest E if possible.

Hmm...good question, Peata!

I know Ray says that progesterone is better absorbed when it's in vitamin E. I'm not sure if he means better absorbed if used topically or if it's also better absorbed when taken orally. I know prescription natural progesterone like Prometrium is dissolved in peanut oil so I'm inclined to think that it's best to take the progesterone powder dissolved in the vitamin E whether it's being used topically or not.

I haven't done the math, but I'm assuming even with buying some mixed tocopherols to dissolve the progesterone powder in, in the long run, it should still end up being cheaper than the progest-e.

You may even be able to get away with using less of the vitamin E and still have the progesterone be highly absorbable. I know you mentioned stopping your supplements, but if you have some vitamin E capsules leftover, you could just pop them open and use that as your base. That's what I'm going to do when I finally get my butt in gear and order the progesterone powder. I have a few Unique E bottles that I bought for my dog that I need to use up.

Peata

Yes I do have some Unique E capsules I can use. I just ordered a bottle of Progest E but I'll be looking with interest on how people's formulations work for them and may go that same route in the coming months.

lindsay

I've been buying my Progest-e lately directly from Kenogen because with shipping, it worked out to be the same - if not less - than buying it from EB. And I feel sometimes it's best to get it directly from the source because they ship the stuff and it arrives two days later without fail, so you are not dealing with longer mailing times (currently paying $62.50 for two bottles, and that includes shipping). Progest-e is meant to be refrigerated, so if the shipping time is taking longer than usual, this could account for its "off" taste. I got that in the past when I was traveling with the stuff and couldn't refrigerate it - in general, I think this can be common with Vitamin E oil. I always refrigerate Vit. E oil as well or else it starts to smell off.

Anyhow, that being said, the Progest-e I've been ordering from Kenogen directly tastes like it's normal gross self - sorry, but I hate the taste, so that's the best description I can give, but it's not tasting bad like when it gets left out. Also, love that tip about putting in the nose! That would save me the annoyance of feeling it on my gums!

lindsay

Additionally, has anybody gone ahead and ordered the Progesterone powder yet? In looking at the site Haagendaz posted, it's actually comparable in price to buying progest-e at $60 per 5 grams and progest-e running around $30 per bottle with 2,800 mg. This site sells 100 grams (which is pricey in one payment, but) for $700, which brings the cost down to $7 per gram or $35 for 5 grams, but you have to order it all at once and I do not know of the reliability of the powder. Any thoughts?

http://store.galladechem.com/progesterone-topical-micronized-powder-usp-100-gm--p48318.aspx

If it says USP progesterone, then that is the only standardization I know of.

Some mfr's claim differences in how it is micronized, but I don't see any mention of that in Peat's patent.

You may want to consider the cost of Vitamin E, too, which I guess would be about 25 grams per 2800 mgs of progesterone (90:10 ratio?). Unique E is about $15 for 25 grams, so I guess the Vitamin E may drive the total. price up?

But of course, if you take vitamin E anyway, that is not really an any additional cost for you.

HDD

My rough estimate is around $170 to make 8 ounces which includes cost of 2 oz. amber bottles.

That would be purchasing 25g of usp progesterone and 8 oz. of vitamin e from Lotioncrafter.

HDD

Jennifer said:
Peata said:

I know Ray says that progesterone is better absorbed when it's in vitamin E. I'm not sure if he means better absorbed if used topically or if it's also better absorbed when taken orally. I know prescription natural progesterone like Prometrium is dissolved in peanut oil so I'm inclined to think that it's best to take the progesterone powder dissolved in the vitamin E whether it's being used topically or not.

I haven't done the math, but I'm assuming even with buying some mixed tocopherols to dissolve the progesterone powder in, in the long run, it should still end up being cheaper than the progest-e.

You may even be able to get away with using less of the vitamin E and still have the progesterone be highly absorbable. I know you mentioned stopping your supplements, but if you have some vitamin E capsules leftover, you could just pop them open and use that as your base. That's what I'm going to do when I finally get my butt in gear and order the progesterone powder. I have a few Unique E bottles that I bought for my dog that I need to use up.

Came across this while reading "From PMS to Menopause"-

"Because of its absorption by a natural digestive route which distributes it to all of the tissues, progesterone dissolved in vitamin E is almost 100% absorbed when taken orally. Less than 1% is absorbed from some types of suppositories, and less than 5% absorption is typical. Taken orally as a micronized powder, pharmaceutical efficiency is only slightly better."

Jennifer

Haagendazendiane said:
Jennifer said:
Peata said:

Came across this while reading "From PMS to Menopause"-

"Because of its absorption by a natural digestive route which distributes it to all of the tissues, progesterone dissolved in vitamin E is almost 100% absorbed when taken orally. Less than 1% is absorbed from some types of suppositories, and less than 5% absorption is typical. Taken orally as a micronized powder, pharmaceutical efficiency is only slightly better."

Ah! Good find, Haagendazendiane! :D

By the way, did you end up buying the progesterone powder?

I'm taking a break from progesterone due to some issues I'm having with it that I can't seem to work out. I may ask the girls in a separate thread about some of their experiences with progesterone to see if my symptoms, such as irregular cycles and uncomfortably high libido, are common with supplementation or if they're possibly due to my messed up gut, which in turn is messing with my hormones? I just can't seem to get my dosing right.

HDD

No, I haven't ordered the powder yet. I got hung up on the product saying "topical" and now I don't have the extra $ to order the amount I would like to try. I am going to order from a distributor,for now, but still plan on making some in the future.

Peata

lindsay said:
I've been buying my Progest-e lately directly from Kenogen because with shipping, it worked out to be the same - if not less - than buying it from EB. And I feel sometimes it's best to get it directly from the source because they ship the stuff and it arrives two days later without fail, so you are not dealing with longer mailing times (currently paying $62.50 for two bottles, and that includes shipping). Progest-e is meant to be refrigerated, so if the shipping time is taking longer than usual, this could account for its "off" taste. I got that in the past when I was traveling with the stuff and couldn't refrigerate it - in general, I think this can be common with Vitamin E oil. I always refrigerate Vit. E oil as well or else it starts to smell off.

Anyhow, that being said, the Progest-e I've been ordering from Kenogen directly tastes like it's normal gross self - sorry, but I hate the taste, so that's the best description I can give, but it's not tasting bad like when it gets left out. Also, love that tip about putting in the nose! That would save me the annoyance of feeling it on my gums!

Can you give me the link where you're ordering directly from Kenogen?

I am not satisfied with the bottle I recently got from a distributor. Maybe something is up with the formulation, I don't know. I just don't feel like it's working as well as what I got this spring and early summer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
lindsay said:

Can you give me the link where you're ordering directly from Kenogen?

I am not satisfied with the bottle I recently got from a distributor. Maybe something is up with the formulation, I don't know. I just don't feel like it's working as well as what I got this spring and early summer.
You have to send an email to order. It is [email protected].

Peata

I'm not wasting my time (and $) ordering from anyone except Kenogen from now on. Shipping was fast, good communication, etc. Editing: I do get the strong taste/throat burning now.