Progest-E For Contraception

Lanthir

I just ordered my first bottle of Progest-E ever and I'm super excited for a ton of reasons!

You know you're a nerd when...

And yes anyone else that would like to summarize that would be great but, I believe you are correct sunmountain.

HDD

My understanding is that it could be used vaginally before intercourse without needing to use it orally. Whether a diaphragm is necessary, I am not sure. I don't think Dalton or Rayser spoke of a diaphragm. I don't think Rayser's amount equalled 100 mg. Maybe 45 mg? I think Progest-e is more effective than the progesterone that Dalton used. Here is the quote from Ray Peat about using the diaphragm to hold it in contact with the membranes.

"The taste of natural vitamin E is stronger than that of the synthetic forms, but since the mixture is absorbed by any tissue it contacts, including various parts of the bowel, it can be taken in a capsule. If a small amount of olive oil is used with it, absorption through the skin is very rapid. Many women use it vaginally, spread onto a diaphragm, to hold it in contact with the membranes. The efficiency of absorption by all routes is so high that patients should be warned against its anesthetic effect, until their dosage requirement is known approximately. Some physicians prefer concentrations higher than 10%, but the risk of accidental drunkenness or anesthesia is higher with the stronger solutions"

tara

sunmountain said:
Can someone summarize this protocol?

Is it --

3 drops per day on tongue from day 8 until menses
PLUS
3 drops in cervix a few hours prior to intercourse?

Thank you
I'm not sure about the rest, but it was more like 100 - 200 mg/day, ie at least 10 drops 3x/day. (3 drops would be about 10mg, nowhere near enough).

I found the thread confusing as to whether it involved daily dosing in mouth or at cervix days 5 or 8 till menstruation, especially given discussion of suppositories. If the daily dose was oral, then it seems cervical application a few hours before intercourse would improve effectiveness.

I use close to 100mg/day (in mouth), so far not for contraceptive purposes, and it does not stop menstruation. I assumed this meant that my body does not believe it is pregnant when it starts menstruating. Since the mechanism of action is persuading the body to behave as if it were pregnant, I also assume that what I am doing would not prevent pregnancy (given the opportunity). Does that seem right?
Since I have not been tracking my cycle properly for a while, and I sometimes accidentally skip a dose, it is possible that my body initiates menstruation after I accidentally lower the dose or go a bit longer between doses. In this case maybe it would be effective if I was more reliable in my application (and supplemented with cervical application on relevant days). Ie if I supplemented daily at a level high enough to reliably stop menstration (unless I took a deliberate break for 5 days). Does that seem likely?
I guess learing to read all the signs of the cycle as as in NFP methods would make it easier to tell what's going on, but I haven't got a round to that, and I think it relies on observing for a least a couple of unmodified cycles while learning.
I would not trust my current scheme for pregnancy prophylaxis.

honeybee said:
Word of caution for diaphragm users-anything oil based can and will break down the diaphragm material leading to a less effective/compromised barrier protection. :!:
Does anyone know of a way around this? Would condoms break down quickly enough from the oil to be a problem, or does it only apply to diaphragms because they get used over a much longer time frame? A diaphragm would otherwise seem like a good delivery method for getting progest-e onto cervix.

Would the natural diaphragm made from half a lemon counteract the effects of progesterone? I don't know what the mechanism of action is for lemon, or whether it is hard on the local tissues.

HDD

"In spite of the toxicity of the vehicle, several beneficial effects can be obtained with injected progesterone, in serious conditions such as epilepsy or caner of the breast or uterus. Many researchers have commented on the very obvious difficulty of giving very large amounts of progesterone. (8) My comparisons of oral progesterone in tocopherol with other forms and methods of administration show a roughly similar efficiency for oral and inject progesterone, and about 1/20 the effect for suppositories. Crystals of progesterone are visible in the suppositories I have examined, and this material is obviously wasted."

Dalton used suppositories.

sunmountain

Did she use progesterone, or progestin?

If she used progesterone, was it as strong as progest-e?

LucyL

paper_clips43 said:
His research resulted
in a contraceptive pill that contained a dose of 75 mg of melatonin with a small amount of
synthetic progesterone. "

This caught my eye. Dr. Peat writes about synthetic progesterones, namely in RU486, Cancer, Estrogen, and Progesterone.
Unfortunately, those synthetic compounds have a variety of functions unlike progesterone, including some estrogenic and/or androgenic and/or glucocorticoid and/or antiprogesterone functions, besides other special, idiosyncratic side effects. The rationale for their use was that they were "like progesterone, only better." The unpleasant and unwanted truth is that, as a group, they are seriously carcinogenic, besides being toxic in a variety of other ways. Thousands of researchers have drawn conclusions about the effects of progesterone on the basis of their experiments with a synthetic progestin.

ann

wait wait, i am missing something here... i am using progest e to conceive! I thought it was progestational... just started my last cycle right around ovulation and stopped during my period. now waiting to start again in a few days. Is this a big maistake? i ordered three bottles...

LucyL

ann said:
wait wait, i am missing something here... i am using progest e to conceive! I thought it was progestational... just started my last cycle right around ovulation and stopped during my period. now waiting to start again in a few days. Is this a big maistake? i ordered three bottles...

No, the effect is all about timing. Ray Peat said once though that it is important to figure out why your are deficient in progesterone. A normal person (woman) of child bearing age shouldn't have to take it long term. Getting to the root of that may help your fertility issues.

Raypmom

HELP!!

I just ordered a bottle of Ray Peats Progest e. I read somewhere that it can used as a method to avoid pregnancy ? Does anyone know any information about this? Overall I am healthy and peating for quite a while now. How can this be used as a BC method? Anyone have experience with it ?

Lanthir

If you read this thread that you have posted on, it is for exactly the purpose of your inquiry and should help answer your question.

Jac

Is anyone currently using Progest-E for contraception purposes? If so, could you please tell what the dosage is please and how reliable it is compared to the (awful) synthetic birth control ? Thanks.

Jac

HELP!!

I just ordered a bottle of Ray Peats Progest e. I read somewhere that it can used as a method to avoid pregnancy ? Does anyone know any information about this? Overall I am healthy and peating for quite a while now. How can this be used as a BC method? Anyone have experience with it ?

Hi Raypmom, do you have any feedback on the Progest-e? What is your experience with it? Look forward to hearing from you. :)

Parsifal

"Natural progesterone placed in the vagina during intercourse has been very effective in my studies, but hasn't been officially approved. Progesterone's normal effects include maintenance of pregnancy, and that requires the prevention of additional pregnancies during the course of an established one. It's presence in the vagina during intercourse causes the cells to react as if there were already an established pregnancy."

Pg. 9, From PMS to Menopause
Has anyone here used it with success?

X3CyO

The awnser looks to be 5-10mg progesterone per day on tongue from day 8 until menses through progest-e
PLUS
5-10mg progesterone in cervix a few hours prior to intercourse just in case via progest-e.

The dosage is low because peats formula is 20x or so more effective than daltons:
"My comparisons of oral progesterone in tocopherol with other forms and methods of administration show a roughly similar efficiency for oral and inject progesterone, and about 1/20 the effect for suppositories. Crystals of progesterone are visible in the suppositories I have examined, and this material is obviously wasted."

Dalton used suppositories.

Dalton reccomeneded 100-200mg suppositories. Divide that by 20, you get the 5-10mg progesterone via progest-e reccomendation.

As for preganancy support, personally it seems best to use progesterone as soon as you find out youre pregnant, unless you can figure out the timing for that.

Progesterone looks to be beneficial in preventing having more than one child per pregnancy and allowing the mother to provide as much nutrients or so to the one child to provide the greatest future potential.

This is what im perscribing my friend currently since no direct awnser has been concluded on yet in this thread.

Also cant remember who said what, but in ray peats talk on progesterone via the science and politics podcast stated that 1500mg progesterone supplemented to women resulted in the babies with the highest IQs.
If dalton was the one who said this, and used supposotories as well in the "studies", then hypothetically, we are talking about 75mg progesterone via progest e daily or more... if you can find more information on what is best for you and your child. More isnt typically better as far as I understand currently.. unless someone else finds more information on the topic.

Currently im looking into dissolving coconut oil and the drops into a capsule for my friend. Will let you know how it works.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

This is amazing! Why have I not heard of this!? Condom-less sex, oh joy.

Anybody use a Progest-E suppository?

Last edited:

catan

Can anyone who use Progest-e as a contraceptive method share their experience? If I’m understanding correctly, Progest-e orally from day 8 to when mensutariin starts, AND topically a few hours before intercourse? Is this the only method or do you also use with another barrier method? Does taking progest-e like this before ovulation delay ovulation?

I track my temperature and have a fairly regular cycle so the window for avoiding pregnancy is about 6 days. The challenge is ovulation varies every cycle up to 3 days and can only be confirmed after...