Tesla unveils home battery

gretchen

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/01/technol ... ney_latest

Tesla has unveiled a suite of new energy products, including a wall-mounted battery that will be sold for use in consumers' homes.
Tesla is calling the rechargeable lithium-ion battery the "Powerwall." As the name suggests, the unit is designed to be mounted on a wall, and connected to the local power grid.
It will be sold to installers for $3,500 for 10kWh, and $3,000 for 7kWh. Deliveries will begin in late Summer.

When coupled with solar energy, the batteries will help accelerate the move away from fossil fuels, he said.
"That's the future we need to have," Musk said. "It's something we must do, and we can do, and we will do."

Thoughts?

mt_dreams

I haven't looked over the specs from musk's wall battery yet so I can't comment on it's ability, but any improvement these days in battery capability is a good thing. It seems were stuck in the dark ages with our large battery technology. I'm sure power companies have had something to do with this, but it's good to see smart people with money/power trying to change some fundamental flaws of the grid.

Regarding the second quote, I do not agree with it fully, as a much more important question to ponder is our obsession with more and more power. As the billions of humans who previously did not have power join the ranks of first world human power consumption, it's going to heat our planet beyond it's capability to cool itself down... that is unless we block out some of the suns rays via geo-engeenring, which would hurt the free electricity via solar power movement were currently transitioning to. so time will tell i guess.

burtlancast

Have you heard about the ECAT of Andrea Rossi ? http://ecat.com/

This engineer has perfected the cold fusion technique discovered in the late eighties.

His generator has been recently been verified by an independent university.

XPlus

mt_dreams said:
As the billions of humans who previously did not have power join the ranks of first world human power consumption, it's going to heat our planet beyond it's capability to cool itself down...

May I ask how's this possible.

If we can store the energy from the sun with 100% efficiency, and utilize all of it at a similar rate, this would be a form of offsetting (i.e. it is similar to not having the same energy it in storage in the first place). There's no additional energy brought from outside the system. Theoretically, this shouldn't affect the equilibrium.
In reality, this process isn't 100% efficient - some, if not most of the energy is lost during the conversion and storing processes.

Philomath

Have you heard about the ECAT of Andrea Rossi ? http://ecat.com/

This engineer has perfected the cold fusion technique discovered in the late eighties.

His generator has been recently been verified by an independent university.

That's Amazing! Do you think it will see the light of day? Or get bought and buried?

bobbybobbob

Tesla is a scam, funded by taxpayers and still losing money hand over fist with zero realistic path to profitability. The stock is an appealing short. Musk is a con-artist. I'd elaborate, but all you really need to do is search for a few of the critical analyst reports and then ask yourself if the criticisms are ever adequately addressed anywhere.

As far as I know there's nothing especially interesting about Tesla batteries, as far as lithium ion batteries go. The idea of massively distributed power banks of lithium ion batteries across homes and businesses strikes me as uneconomic and impractical. The capital and maintenance costs would be enormous, and there are big fire/explosion risks. There are also questions about how much economically recoverable lithium really is available. I'm no expert but more centralized infrastructure using methane generation (you can turn electricity into methane and store it for later) and pumped water seems more likely.

Personally, I think in the future we will simply be using much less energy. None of the economic and resource arithmetic on renewables really works out when held up against the era of cheap oil. We're out of cheap oil. I know the crude price is way down, you have to understand what that means. Globally most of the oil now costs about $70 per barrel to get out of the ground. But nobody can afford that anymore because the economic growth and thus purchasing power for oil is predicated on *cheap* oil. The American shale fracking operations are all in the process of going bust, probably permanently. The oil will just stay in the ground forever because nobody can afford it. No matter the spot price there's going to be less and less fossil fuel on the market from here on out, and no we won't be turning to solar panels to make up the difference. We just won't be driving anymore.

Last edited:

burtlancast

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom