About synthetic orange juice

Kasper

What I mean with synthetic orange juice, is basicly, just looking at all the nutrients found in orange juice,
order the pure form of all those nutrients in powder,
adding some water too it, and enjoy.

That is basicly also the idea of soylent. I'm not sure if someone here read about that,
but I find it really interesting. The one who invented this, Rob Rhinehart, is already over a year eating allmost only chemicals,
and he still feels good, looks good, and his blood test are all excellent.

Of course, in his mixture of soylent, it is full of non peat ingredients, like oats, canola oil, fish oil, etc.
But that makes it may be more amazing, that he is still doing great with his soylent.

So, I'm not really into getting into only chemical kind of diet. But I would find it interesting in replacing orange jucie with something chemical.
Because orange juice is expensive, I'm sometimes too lazy to make it, sometimes my gut doesn't react well to orange juice,
and orange juice is just a solution, of nutrients in water, no problems with emulsifying fats etc.

Besides that, you could also try to improve orange juice. Maybe adding a little more copper, little bit more calcium, a little bit more magnesium, a little bit more B3 etc.
I've been trying to make something like this, a couple of months ago, but there are some problems, it is a whole lot of work, and you need to invest a whole lot of money.
I don't feel like crunching some random B vitamin into the mixture, with all kind of additives, I'm more into the pure powder forms, like:
http://purebulk.com/niacinamide-powder. ... 0kjs_kQE7o

And weighing the exact right amounts, that cost very much time and for buying a bulk, you need to invest a lot of money.
And because I'm too lazy to do this continously, I decided to stop my little project.
But maybe you guys know some products, that would make it much easier to make this kind of synthetic orange juice.

Sugar and water are of course not that difficult. Vitamin C is also easy.
But I need some pure B-vitamin powder, that contains all the B-vitamins, but not with 2000% of vitamin B2.
Then the minerals. It would be ideal if there was some product that contains all of them, powder form, but I don't think that exist.
Some product like this is easy, it contains many minerals:
http://www.healthpost.co.nz/supplements ... ded-copper)-btemtx
And then you need still to add the copper,magnesium, iron (?), phosphorus, calcium,sodium and kalium.
Having some product that contain all of them would also be convenient, but it is doable to them seperately, as it is not difficult to weigh them.

And then you also have some non-essential kind of stuff in orange juice. I don't know much about that. I add some lemon juice/oil thing for taste. I also added inositol.

J

j.

Kasper said:
What I mean with synthetic orange juice, is basicly, just looking at all the nutrients found in orange juice

Some of the nutrients are little known. I can't recall the name of the one that suppresses aromatase, so it's likely you'll miss those. You'll also be getting the trace contaminants of the production process. Synthetic citric acid tends to cause allergic reactions in some people, probably due to trace contaminants from the production process.

Trying to make orange juice is sort of like the idea you can statistically adjust all the hazardous factors in a massive nut consumption study. You'll miss a lot of nutrients and/or factors and might end up with a mess.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There is also a substance in O.J., and it may be the same one j. is referring to that has anticancer properties. It starts with an N but I too can't remember the exact name. I guess when it comes to something like O.J. my philosophy is 'why mess with perfection'. That is very creative though. Have you seen the 1970's movie called Soylent Green? :shock:

J

j.

Blossom said:
It starts with an N but I too can't remember the exact name.

Maybe it's naringenin. It turns out, there is naringenin powder available

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks j. I did read that in suikerbuik's post. That's interesting that you can purchase it.

kiran

j. said:
Blossom said:
It starts with an N but I too can't remember the exact name.

Maybe it's naringenin. It turns out, there is naringenin powder available

It's available, but it appears to be a grapefruit extract. Grapefruit has isn't really Peat-ideal, it interferes with the liver detox process.

OP
K

Kasper

Well, you've got stuff like this:

http://www.iherb.com/Twinlab-Citrus-Bio ... =null&ic=1
"Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex
(containing 50% total bioflavonoids consisting of flavanones [hesperidin, eriocitrin, naringen and naringenin], flavanols and flavones) 1400 mg
Rutin 100 mg"

I'm sure you can get this also in pure powder form.

You'll miss a lot of nutrients and/or factors and might end up with a mess.

I surely will miss a lot. But that may be not only a bad thing. Some people react allergenic on orange juice. For me personally, I sometimes get bad stools from orange juice. I thought it was the sugar, but I never get bad stools from coke. It would be hard to include every positive factor of orange juice in such a mixture, but I don't think that is really necessary. I mean some people on a ray peat diet, never drink orange juice, they don't like it or they react bad on it, and they drink watermelon juice and eat bananas and pineapples for example.

At the moment, sometimes I drink coke instead of orange juice. Sometimes, I don't have time in the morning to press oranges, sometimes, I'm on holiday or something. At those times, if I had some powder like this, and I just need to add some water, I'll likely use this instead of coke. Maybe I would add some caffeine as well in the mixture.

I think that you cannot doubt that it is easy to improve upon coke. As coke is just deficient in any nutrients. It may be hard to get something as beneficfial as orange juice, but I don't think I'll ever completely stop drinking orange juice. Just because orange juice tastes good.

You'll also be getting the trace contaminants of the production process. Synthetic citric acid tends to cause allergic reactions in some people, probably due to trace contaminants from the production process.

Hm.. I wouldn't like to have it full of trace contaminants, but those people that do soylent don't seem to have much issues with that. Maybe it is a matter of buying high quality stuff, I'm not sure.

jyb

You can press them once a day say at night and then store the juice in the fridge. I tried looking for some dried orange powder here in the UK, but the process used results in added dextrose, which according to Peat is heavily contaminated so its not something I'd want to drink in large quantity.

OP
K

Kasper

I'm not talking about orange powder. I'm talking about some soylent like sugar drink with added vitamins and minerals and other non essential nutrients.

In my experiencer orange juice that is stored in the fridge for a night tastes much worse. then fresh pressed orange juice. Maybe I should add some sugar.

kiran

Kasper said:
Well, you've got stuff like this:

http://www.iherb.com/Twinlab-Citrus-Bio ... =null&ic=1
"Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex
(containing 50% total bioflavonoids consisting of flavanones [hesperidin, eriocitrin, naringen and naringenin], flavanols and flavones) 1400 mg
Rutin 100 mg"

Twinlab offers bioflavonoid content concentrated from fresh lemons, oranges, grapefruits, limes and tangerines,

That's a bit of a problem right there, it's hard to find bioflavonoids without grapefruit.

J

j.

kiran said:
It's available, but it appears to be a grapefruit extract.

Isn't that like saying that we shouldn't take vitamin E from soy? If it has some degree of purity, it seems most can take it without problems.

kiran

j. said:
kiran said:
It's available, but it appears to be a grapefruit extract.

Isn't that like saying that we shouldn't take vitamin E from soy? If it has some degree of purity, it seems most can take it without problems.
Well, the best vitamin E is 95%+ pure (lotioncrafter for ex), but this product seems to only be "containing 50% total bioflavonoids". For comparison, even some vegetable oil in unique E seems to ruin the vitamin E effect on aromatase.

The negative effects of grapefruit shouldn't be an issue with grapefruit derived naringenin.

OP
K

Kasper

Reading the stories on discourse.soylent.me I get more and more convinced that something like this should be able to work.
I mean, those people that the official soylent get 15 gram of PUFA daily (from canola oil), and still feel like soylent is a big improvement to their normal meals.

I would love to see one day some Ray Peat inspired soylent. Anti-allergenic, that works for (allmost) everyone.

It would give me so much freedom, I mean, I could put for like 2 weeks of powder in my bag, and just go hitchhiking, without worrying about getting good quality food. I would only need to be able to get water to mix my soylent with.

Some very nice guy in the US is willing to send me 1 week of soylent if he get a new supply of soylent. So maybe I'm able to try out the the official soylent in the coming months. I'm just curious how my body responds on it. It is not Ray Peat like, but it has some good elements I guess.

It has Carbohydrate/Fat/Protein ratio of 50/30/20. Carbs are coming from maltodextrin and oats, and protein from brown rice protein isolate. Fats I can choose myself, it is recommand to use canola oil, but I would of course not go for that. There is 100 gram of oats in it, which give quite some PUFA sadly.

Calcium:Phosporus is 10:7 which is quite good. There is no added iron, but still quite some from oats. 2 gram of salt, and for the rest there are just vitamins/minerals added to get to all the RDA.