Coca Cola Kills Woman

J

j.

That's what the coroner said, but probably there were other things.

Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day

A New Zealand coroner has clarified that the cause of one mother’s death had to do with her drinking at least 10 liters of Coca-Cola per day, BBC News reported.

Natasha Harris went into cardiac arrest in February 2010 and died at the age of 30.

At the time of her death, a pathologist found Harris had hypokalemia, or a lack of potassium in the blood.

Harris’ family said she was addicted to the soda, and if she didn’t get her fix, she would go into withdrawal, including shaking. Eventually, her teeth had to be removed because the sugar caused decay.

Read the rest

OP
J

j.

Why did she drink so much? One conjecture is that she was self-medicating with caffeine. Maybe Coca Cola has the right ratio of sugar and caffeine for optimal use of caffeine, and maybe other things don't, and that's why she wasn't using chocolate or coffee.

But consuming so much coca cola required some time to digest and process the product, and maybe she didn't have enough time to have a complete nutrition.

Could she have satisfied her coca cola cravings with fewer drinks, by adding caffeine to them?

If 1 liter of coca cola has 100 mg of caffeine, she was consuming 1 gram per day. If she added 100 mg of caffeine to each glass of 250 grams (which already contains 25 mg), she would've consumed her daily gram of caffeine with just 2 liters of coca cola, instead of 10. Maybe that would have freed some digestive time to satisfy other nutritional needs.

Gl;itch.e

I live in NZ and remember when this story hit. As far as I can recall she ate pretty much nothing and got all her calories from coke. So essentially she had extreme nutrient deficiencies. But of course the news media will sensationalise this and blame coke excess rather than what essentially amounts to nutritional starvation.

Hodgkinson told the court that she had been unwell up to a year before her death, including vomiting six times a week, but Ms Harris, himself and family members believed it was from the stress of managing her eight children and gynecological problems.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10800055

Hmm wonder if the vomiting multiple times a week for a year might be considered a sign of being in ill health and that she should perhaps seek help? :roll:

I dont know what truth there is to the part where they state her children were "born without tooth enamel" sounds a bit bull**** when babies are usually born without teeth! LOL.

Dayman

I find the lack of information in this article, and most news articles, super annoying. It basically directs us to a, most likely biased, conclusion we are supposed to come to. Anyway, being able to fit any food in, along with 10 litres of coke, would be pretty difficult really, that could be why she was vomiting.

OP
J

j.

I think Coca Cola, as a business strategy, put little caffeine in their product, 25 mg per glass (0.25 liters), so that people would get a little taste of it, but not satisfy their caffeine needs, so they would keep asking for more. And a consequence of that is the death of this woman.

SQu

If I remember correctly Coca Cola's statement on this was something like 'you shouldn't have too much of any one thing, and even water can be dangerous'. True, but very bullish. Any soul searching there when someone responds to your marketing in the logical way, becomes in fact the ideal consumer - and dies as a result? Like, are we losing perspective here, going too far? Ummmm - no :?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sounds like lack of commonsense and self-care killed that woman.

Gl;itch.e

Blossom said:
Sounds like lack of commonsense and self-care killed that woman.
Yep. It is not the job of coca-cola to educate people. This is a failing of parenting/upbringing and plain old common sense and self awareness.

OP
J

j.

I don't blame the woman. I don't blame coca cola either, my post was half-joking, but I don't blame the woman because you have to study many years of biochemistry and health related subjects to know what's going on. If you don't, your only opportunity is getting good advice. If you don't get good advice, you're screwed. We're lucky to read Dr. Peat, she might've received all sorts of misguided advice that did nothing at all to help whatever condition she had. In that state, maybe the only thing that made her feel a little better was drinking coca cola, and maybe she would've died sooner without drinking it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:smokingjoint :smokingweed You can't even kill yourself this way! I didn't mean to sound harsh or unsympathetic but by the time a person gets to the point of their teeth falling/rotting out one would have to notice their might be some health problems brewing? Hopefully? Possibly? Maybe? There had to be some warning signs.

OP
J

j.

Right, but if you do see warning signs, and all the advice they give you to fix it makes things worse, and you're not an expert on the subject, there is nothing you can do but die.

Gl;itch.e

Im sure even the most inept doctor could have helped this woman had he known (whether by asking or by her own admission) that all she was living on was coca-cola. A five year old could probably work this one out. Drink lots of coke and eat nothing else = feel really bad.