Cellulite & CO2

Peata

Article posted earlier in month on FB group:

http://ndnr.com/dermatology/cellulite-a ... xide-bath/

Timely for me because I just decided to start using baths more for health therapy (hadn't really thought about cellulite though if it helps that - bonus) and last night I took one with baking soda and epsom salts. The article says 10 - 15 baths can help. Although it has a formula for other ingredients to go in it, but I am not sure where to get them or even if I should use them. My luck I would create something in the tub that would peel my skin off.

I won't go into all my issues here since I talk about them in my log. But I have various things I think the baths could help with.

tara

Nice find. If you are aiming to release CO2 gas into a wet bath, it looks like the sodium sulphite in the old recipe reacts with the others to produce it (unfortunately, I have not studied chemistry, so I hope someone will correct this if I'm wrong). Looks like the dry CO2 bath may be being used more now.

OP
Peata

Peata

tara said:
Nice find. If you are aiming to release CO2 gas into a wet bath, it looks like the sodium sulphite in the old recipe reacts with the others to produce it (unfortunately, I have not studied chemistry, so I hope someone will correct this if I'm wrong). Looks like the dry CO2 bath may be being used more now.

Thanks, Tara. I've been using citric acid with the baking soda.

tara

Can you tell if they are having any effect yet?

OP
Peata

Peata

tara said:
Can you tell if they are having any effect yet?

The first bath with just baking soda and citric acid, I believe I felt an effect beyond the normal where I was relaxed but kinda laughing a bit here and there. Lower legs felt like they lost feeling just a bit. Not sure what to make of that. I didn't stay in too long because I started worrying about overdoing things.

But I felt like I was missing the epsom salts (I'd run out) and wanted to add those today for relaxing my muscles. Been having some stiffness in the calves since lifting yesterday. So today I had 2 c. epsom salt and baking soda and citric acid. This time I was just more relaxed, including muscles, without the extra humorous effect. I stayed in the water longer.

I look forward to the baths and kinda wish I could do two per day but I have a problem with rushing into things and then having a disaster because of my impulses and lack of patience at times. So I'm forcing myself to do one per day.

BTW, the citric acid I'm using is Ball brand - got it in the canning section. It was about $3 for 7.5 ounces. I also saw calcium chloride there in the form of Ball brand "Pickle Crisp", but didn't get it because I have no idea what it would do. I need to read up on this stuff and just haven't had the time so I stick with the basics.

Here's one of the formulas mentioned in that article:

Sodium carbonate: 1½lb
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda): ½lb
Calcium chloride: 3lb
Sodium chloride: 2lb
Sodium bisulphate: 1lb

OP
Peata

Peata

Adding that basically what I'm doing is a "Bath Bomb". Only differences - I'm just pouring the stuff in instead of having a preformed bath bomb, I'm using a lot more ingredients than for a regular bath bomb, and also I keep adding a little more baking soda and citric acid to the tub once in a while as I soak. Just so I get a bit of an extended release on the CO2.

tara

Ta. If you can be bothered with more detail, roughly how much citric acid and how much baking soda did you use?
I had to back off taking relaxing baths on occasional evenings last year because I'd get so relaxed I had trouble getting out of them. :): I'd lie there for more than two hours, exhausted, run out of fuel, and end up in worse shape. Since then I've had a few shorter ones on the mornings when I henna my hair. If I have the kids around demanding things from me I can't stay in so long, which is a good thing in this case. Silly, eh?

OP
Peata

Peata

tara said:
Ta. If you can be bothered with more detail, roughly how much citric acid and how much baking soda did you use?
I had to back off taking relaxing baths on occasional evenings last year because I'd get so relaxed I had trouble getting out of them. :): I'd lie there for more than two hours, exhausted, run out of fuel, and end up in worse shape. Since then I've had a few shorter ones on the mornings when I henna my hair. If I have the kids around demanding things from me I can't stay in so long, which is a good thing in this case. Silly, eh?

I am still working on the ratios. The first day I used about 4 c. baking soda and 1/2 c. citric acid, added over time. Yesterday I used 2 c. Epsom salts and at least 2 c. baking soda, probably 2 oz. citric acid. I will try to take better measurement of what I'm doing when I bathe today.

My problem is that I can never really relax in the bath and get restless - but I figured out that's because I don't like really hot water. I like it "nicely warmed" almost like a warm ocean water or pool water that's been warmed in the sun for days. So I start out with hot water to dissolve the Epsom and some of the baking soda and then add cold before I get in, then I just adjust as needed, adding more hot water to bath if it starts getting cold. I only fill the tub 1/4 of the way, maybe 1/3. I'm able to relax in it longer now.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'm definitely not going to use the citric acid anymore. I think it's too harsh and upsetting my pH.

OP
Peata

Peata

I think I've done 8 of the baths now, including one concentrated foot bath.

In the tub I use Epsom salt, baking soda, vinegar. The vinegar foams the baking soda the same as the citric acid, and no problem with my pH from the vinegar.

Philomath

Have you tried potassium bitartrate instead of citric acid?