Best Science Medicine podcast on food!

taesch

This podcast, which aims to look at the best evidence from all studies, confirms a few of Peats key positions in their recent series on food. They are on part 3 and were taking questions on their site which might be a great chance to chime in.

Suikerbuik

I haven't listen to any yet, but will certainly do. Looks like these are unbiased guys :) See the (short) summary of postcast episode 217, 218 for example!

OP
taesch

taesch

Just to summarize (from my memory) for those who have limited time to investigate these presentations-
part 1
The need for researchers to be experts at reading studies which many aren't.
The quality of all studies on food will never be ideal
part 2
Salt - too little salt in the diet is much worse than too much- contrary to popular dogma
breakfast - studies on skipping breakfast are not good to conclude...
eggs - best source of animal protein and has some bad biased studies which had stated that eggs were as bad as smoking.
fiber - no fiber is bad but benefit is the same with small amount or lots.
alcohol - 1-2 pints of beer or equivalent is beneficial
coffee - is protective the more cups taken 3-5 is great but benefits mount all the way to 9 cups a day!

part 3
Saturated Fat - is fine and sometimes beneficial contrary to popular dogma
Pufa - is fine and in some cases detrimental! It would be great to have someone from here reach out to them
fructose - not as evil as is recently attributed...but the research is very dense even for these guys.

anyways these are my cursory interpretations of the podcast and are meant as a guide for listeners who want to zero in on a particular area of interest.

kiran

Suikerbuik said:
I haven't listen to any yet, but will certainly do. Looks like these are unbiased guys :) See the (short) summary of postcast episode 217, 218 for example!

Would you also embrace their opinion on statins for instance? :D

Suikerbuik

I haven't read those, you only get what you for look for :D. (I also know next to nothing about statins to form any opinion. IMO most drugs are crap and a waste of your time and health)