Skilled Relaxation

Rachel

Skilled Relaxation by Walt Stoll

The only proven way to reverse the effects of chronic hypothalamic stress-effect.

Because I have received many requests for clarification of what "Skilled Relaxation" is about, I am offering this:

Biofeedback research, over the past 20 years, has demonstrated that the common denominator, which determines the effectiveness of ALL types of relaxation techniques, is that the technique must produce an Alpha or Theta rhythm in the brain. It seems that, when the brain rhythms are 4-12 cycles/second (cps), the body/mind discharges the stored readiness of "fight or flight stress-effect" 24 times faster than sleep does.

The usual, awake, thinking rhythm is Beta (14-20 cps). The asleep rhythm, when muscular control is lost, is Delta (2-4 cps). Alpha is 8-12 cps while Theta is 4-8 cps. Students of expanded brain function ascribe different effects to different rhythms. If you want to get into it, I would suggest you read The Awakened Mind by Maxwell Cade and Nona Coxhead, published by Delacorte Press; as well as Megabrain by Michael Hutchison, published in 1986 by Beech Tree Books. Although these are probably out of print, your library will be able to find you a copy through their electronic lending network.

For our purposes here, suffice it to say: it matters not a whit what technique you learn to use. Unless it produces "The Relaxation Response (4-12 cps)", it will not do all the wonderful things that you have been hearing about that have been ascribed to "skilled relaxation." Biofeedback, Meditation (all forms), Self Hypnosis, Silva Mind Training, Autogenics, Breathing Techniques, etc. are commonly effective forms you should include in your consideration. Herbert Benson, MD, from Harvard Medical School, has brilliantly described The Relaxation Response in his book by that name; if you need to know more about what the Conventional Medical System is being forced to finally acknowledge.

The only way yet known to discharge the chronic stress-effect storage, which is behind so many of the chronic, so far Conventional Medically unexplained diseases, is to discharge the garbage faster than it is being accumulated. See my explanation under Modern Medical Interpretation of Stress here on the web site. The only technique proven to do this is to evoke the 24-1 advantage of the 8-12 cps brain rhythm 20 minutes twice a day. Even with this advantage, it takes the average person in this culture 6-12 months to discharge the majority of this "constant readiness". That is not to say that people will not see great benefits MUCH sooner than that. However, to get permanent reversal of many chronic disorders, most must get back "far enough from the edge of the cliff" to allow the body/mind to heal itself.

One of the great benefits of BIOFEEDBACK is that it can scientifically establish whether YOUR technique is producing the Alpha or Theta rhythm. That way you don't have to waste your time practicing something for months before finding out that it isn't working.

The most effective self-help book to learn these techniques is The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook, Edited by Davis, Eschelman and McKay, published continuously since 1980 by New Harbinger.

http://askwaltstollmd.com/articles/relax.php

MrMoose63

Awesome Post Rachel.... I have attempted a few Meditation Techniques, but have not always gotten the relaxed results I've been shooting for. It sounds like this book is right up my alley! Thank you

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rachel, that is some really kick butt information again. Thank you!

I did not realize that the stress is not really being "discharged" while sleeping. It must be done during waking hours. More reason to make sure to get those 2 meditation sessions in a day. I have been slipping lately, but really need to shape up and ship out the stress. I would love to get out of this "constant readiness" stressed out state.

OP
Rachel

Rachel

You're welcome, and thank you, Charlie and MrMoose63!

I am totally guilty of being inconsistent with relaxation sessions. :roll:
MrMoose63 said:
I have attempted a few Meditation Techniques, but have not always gotten the relaxed results I've been shooting for.
Which ones have you tried?

Ray-Z

Very interesting! :thumbup:

W. Stoll said:
The only way yet known to discharge the chronic stress-effect storage, which is behind so many of the chronic, so far Conventional Medically unexplained diseases, is to discharge the garbage faster than it is being accumulated. See my explanation under Modern Medical Interpretation of Stress here on the web site. The only technique proven to do this is to evoke the 24-1 advantage of the 8-12 cps brain rhythm 20 minutes twice a day. Even with this advantage, it takes the average person in this culture 6-12 months to discharge the majority of this "constant readiness". That is not to say that people will not see great benefits MUCH sooner than that. However, to get permanent reversal of many chronic disorders, most must get back "far enough from the edge of the cliff" to allow the body/mind to heal itself.

The 2X20 mins/day prescription is consistent with my experience. I find that I generally need around 40 minutes of meditation (or similar activities) per day just to "tread water," and not feel more scatterbrained or agitated than usual.

I also like the metaphor of accumulating garbage a LOT. It suggests -- again, consistent with my experience -- that the benefits of doing extra "skilled relaxation" today can persist for a few days, until the garbage piles up again, and that the effects of not doing enough "skilled relaxation" one day can also persist.

narouz

Rachel-
Sorry to be a low-attention responder or whatever,
but...
with the biofeedback:
I've always wanted to try that.
But don't they hook you up to some gizmo,
some "black box" thing?
(I remember hearing like 20 or 30 years ago
about Pete Townsend kicking cocaine
partly, at least, by doing biofeedback therapy.
And in the article I read, he referred to the gizmo at "the black box.")

OP
Rachel

Rachel

narouz said:
Rachel-
Sorry to be a low-attention responder or whatever,
but...
with the biofeedback:
I've always wanted to try that.
But don't they hook you up to some gizmo,
some "black box" thing?
(I remember hearing like 20 or 30 years ago
about Pete Townsend kicking cocaine
partly, at least, by doing biofeedback therapy.
And in the article I read, he referred to the gizmo at "the black box.")
Narouz,
They do hook you up to a gizmo in biofeedback.
It's monitoring things like changes in body temperature, muscle tension, and brainwave activity.
The "black box" thing that Townsend used is something altogether different.
It used a type of CES - cranial electrotherapy stimulation.
it's funny that you brought that up because I was planning to do a post on CES for stress reduction.
I guess I better get to it!

:mrgreen: