Struggling With Coffee?

answersfound

For the longest time, I could not drink coffee. After a couple sips, I would get this tired/wired feeling with my heart racing. I drank it on a full stomach with cream all the time. That was just not enough. Ever since I came across "bulletproof coffee" I have had no problem with drinking coffee. The guy who created the recipe claims you get tired because you are using low-quality coffee, but that is just his pitch to sell his own coffee. Obviously try and use the best quality coffee you can get, but I have seen success using Trader Joe's instant coffee. The key is using a lot of fat. I started out struggling with the bulletproof recipe, still getting the tired/wired feeling. I just wasn't using enough butter at only 1-2 tbs. Don't be shy with the butter. It helps delay the release of caffeine, so it doesn't hit you at once. And also, I had plenty of sugar, unlike the recipe he recommends. Good luck!

Here is the recipe:

At least 2tbs Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter (I like up to 6 tbps, or 80g or 88 ml).
1-2tbs of MCT oil (15-30 ml)
2 cups (~453g or 500ml) of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans (like Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee) using a paper filter (Hario V60 pourover is my favorite brewing method, and it’s only $10).

Here's my recipe:

3 tbs Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter
1-2 tbs of refined coconut oil
1 heaping tbs of instant coffee
6 oz. of water
White sugar to taste

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I remember reading about him during my paleo days. He claims that his coffee is low in mycotoxins which he discovered he was sensitive to .... I'm not sure about mycotoxin sensitivity and I've never purchased his coffee but I did add Kerry gold butter to my own coffee sometimes back in my low carb days and it wasn't bad. Currently if I want an on the go coffee meal I will do the primal egg coffee with a lot of honey or sugar. It's surprisingly frothy and good.

I remember reading about him during my paleo days. He claims that his coffee is low in mycotoxins which he discovered he was sensitive to .... I'm not sure about mycotoxin sensitivity and I've never purchased his coffee but I did add Kerry gold butter to my own coffee sometimes back in my low carb days and it wasn't bad. Currently if I want an on the go coffee meal I will do the primal egg coffee with a lot of honey or sugar. It's surprisingly frothy and good.

Yes this is true about the mycotoxin. He claimed that his didn't have any/low amount. Joe Rogan was talking about this one day and was disturbed by the fact that most coffees actually do not have mycotoxins in it. Needless to say he no longer buys bulletproof coffee.

I've heard that bulletproof coffee is helpful, so is it helpful or not?
as in overall helpfulness I have no idea. As far as the bag of bulletproof coffee beans goes I don't believe you are getting any extra benefit buying bulletproof beans vs other brands especially in the area of mycotoxins

Luann

It's just expensive coffee beans with added butter at home. So whether you follow that road down all the way is on you.
If you don't like drip coffee, try cold brew (the mason jar room temperature method), super easy and aPPAREntly, has less caffeine for more of the "vitamins" in coffee. It can take a headache away that's for sure.

dbh25

At least 2tbs Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter (I like up to 6 tbps, or 80g or 88 ml).
1-2tbs of MCT oil (15-30 ml)
Yes, Joe Rogan and Antony Colpo have opined on mycotoxins and coffee. I just look for organic coffee. I'm more curious about how it feels to take in 600-1000 calories of added fat in a beverage? Is this a meal(s) replacement? I may eat 600 fat calories over the course of a day (butter, milk, cheese, etc). Are you trying to gain weight or lose weight?

Maretch

as in overall helpfulness I have no idea. As far as the bag of bulletproof coffee beans goes I don't believe you are getting any extra benefit buying bulletproof beans vs other brands especially in the area of mycotoxins
You think so, i just heard something like this, not sure yet!