Hypogonadism/insomnia please HELP!

tara

Sea said:
post 103826 Most supplements advised here work to increase your metabolic rate, and they won't really work if you are eating at a caloric deficit.

I agree. For instance, niacinamide tends to increase sugar oxidation. If not enough sugar is going in, this can case more stress. Some people get headaches etc from too much niacinamide, esp. if the carb supply is low.

Sea said:
post 103826 Pay attention to how all your foods are digesting, and stop eating any foods that cause bloating.
I agree that it's good to try to find foods that don't unnecessarily aggravate/bloat.
But you have to eat something, even if your digestion is struggling.
Completely avoiding digestive distress may be difficult/impossible during the transition to much more food. Worth a try, but not at the expense of continuing serious undereating. Some but not all find it improves after a few weeks of eating much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

princeamir

tara said:
post 103903
Sea said:
post 103826 Most supplements advised here work to increase your metabolic rate, and they won't really work if you are eating at a caloric deficit.

I agree. For instance, niacinamide tends to increase sugar oxidation. If not enough sugar is going in, this can case more stress. Some people get headaches etc from too much niacinamide, esp. if the carb supply is low.

Sea said:
post 103826 Pay attention to how all your foods are digesting, and stop eating any foods that cause bloating.
I agree that it's good to try to find foods that don't unnecessarily aggravate/bloat.
But you have to eat something, even if your digestion is struggling.
Completely avoiding digestive distress may be difficult/impossible during the transition to much more food. Worth a try, but not at the expense of continuing serious undereating. Some but not all find it improves after a few weeks of eating much more.

I understand. So nr 1 priorty should be overall calories .
I started to notice some things about certain foods that bloats me up. Like apples, certain kinds of cottage cheese. I actually do fine on milk and rice

jaywills

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full

This study should form the basis of your approach. You need calories.

The most pertinent line:

"Our experiments have shown that in an adult man no appreciable rehabilitation can take place on a diet of 2,000 calories a day. The proper level is more like 4,000 kcal daily for some months. The character of the rehabilitation diet is important also, but unless calories are abundant, then extra proteins, vitamins and minerals are of little value."

OP
P

princeamir

jaywills said:
post 104043 http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full

This study should form the basis of your approach. You need calories.

The most pertinent line:

"Our experiments have shown that in an adult man no appreciable rehabilitation can take place on a diet of 2,000 calories a day. The proper level is more like 4,000 kcal daily for some months. The character of the rehabilitation diet is important also, but unless calories are abundant, then extra proteins, vitamins and minerals are of little value."

Thanks, I never thought i will say this ever but i am really struggling to increase my calories for 2 reasons:

1. hunger : I stay full after meals for a long time. 5-6 hours. I have cut out all fibre and still
2. Bloated after meals and i have tried to eat more and my bloat just gets worse

tara

OP
P

princeamir

Just got my blood test results back:

Serum free T4 level: 11.7 pmol/L (12.0-22.0)
Serum TSH level: 1.74 mu/L (0.27-4.2)

It seems that my T4 is on the low side so the doctor described 50 mcg of Levothyroxine to take each morning before breakfast and i have a follow up blood test in 4 weeks.

I am not going to take the levothyroxine and instead start with 1/2 grain of NDT a day split in the morning and lunch.

Any advice is welcome please.