A List Of Peat(ish) Junk Foods

seeyeff

Nobody's perfect. Sometimes you need some cheat foods. Here are a few junk food items that still don't contain much or any PUFA:

• Captain Crunch Berries: cereal, uses coconut oil
• Trader Joe's Bread Sticks: packaged food, uses olive oil
• Bugles: corn chip snack, uses coconut oil (this is probably the only non-PUFA bagged snack you can buy at a QuickTrip)

Oh and I've got a PUFA-avoidance trick to share:

• use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for mayonnaise — not as good, but still has that tanginess and a somewhat similar texture — man, do I miss mayonnaise...

I know there is a thread of commercial Peat-style foods, but these junk foods are a little different. They're "mainstream" foods, available at regular 'ole grocery stores, of a food category that typically features lots of PUFA, but somehow non-PUFA versions also exist.

Do y'all know of any others?

4peatssake

I forget the name of the brand, but I can occasionally find potato chips made with olive oil. I like the salt and vinegar ones.

Aspekt

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/

This mayo recipe is amazing, you'd just have to limit intake since the olive oil has pufa, which would probably be hard to do because it's so good and works with any meat. Haven't made any since I stopped paleoesque eating.

Attakai

Does anyone know if there are any fast-food, or at least chain restaurants that are somewhat peaty?
On the weekends I'm usually out with my friends and always end up going to some fast-food place like chipotle or In n out.. But I'm trying to cut back on PUFAs and since these places almost always cook their foods in the worst types of vegetable oils I would love to have some healthier fast-food alternatives.

I never had any issues at the gas station (half gallon of milk, beef jerky and chocolate bar).

messtafarian

Jackson's Honest Chips, at health food stores or you can order online. Ingredients -- organic potatoes ( Jackson owns the farm they come from), coconut oil, salt.

RAP protein gummies -- has some junk in it but is essentially made of whey, gelatin and sugar. They're at 711 and Walgreens. These have replaced protein bars for me.

If you are not worried about gluten, sourdough bread is usually ALWAYS fat free unless for some reason someone has dumped some weird oils in. At the bakery, fresh, it usually has only three ingredients.

Meringue cookies: egg white and sugar.

Angel food cake: fat free. If you are not celiac and willing to eat white flour.

Beef Jerky, Slim Jims, stuff of that ilk usually has no PUFA but some soy. Also you might be a little leery of what condition that beef was in before it became a truckstop snack.

Not the first time this has been mentioned but gummy bears, the haribo ones and some others -- gelatin, sugar, coconut oil.

If you are very lucky and live in the southwest US, you can sometimes find tortilla chips made with masa harina and coconut oil. Look for packages that are labeled in spanish and look like they are from very small producers.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
seeyeff said:
• Bugles: corn chip snack, uses coconut oil (this is probably the only non-PUFA bagged snack you can buy at a QuickTrip)

Last year I went on and impromptu camping trip for the weekend and did not have anything prepared for food. So I grabbed my normal cheese sticks, milk and juice of course, and stopped by the store and got like 5 bags of Bugles. :P Was happy. :mrgreen:

lindsay

I made this the other day, but just bought a bag of frozen mango, in leu of peaches. It was so delicious, I could have eaten the whole batch in one sitting:

http://www.marthastewart.com/1074358/peach-sherbet

P.S. I used organic sweetened condensed milk - no additives aside from sugar and milk.

messtafarian

Charlie said:
seeyeff said:

Last year I went on and impromptu camping trip for the weekend and did not have anything prepared for food. So I grabbed my normal cheese sticks, milk and juice of course, and stopped by the store and got like 5 bags of Bugles. :P Was happy. :mrgreen:

I'm always glad to see these and used to eat them pretty often but you know, they make me feel gross. In fact I also feel that way about Jacksons Honest Chips, which should be brilliant but somehow...I would rather have fruit, cheese, souped up coffee, beet salad with chevre, smoked oysters, selzer, salted homemade tortillas fried in coconut oil, slowcooked beef and homemade chocolate mousse with condensed milk, gelatin and coconut oil. Nothing makes me happier than a breakfast of coffee, fruit, cheese and honey and blancas for lunch :)

Dutchie

Bugles over here aren't made with coconut oil.
If I remember correctly they're made with sunflower oil....as are most chips/crisps here.

tara

The occasional independent fish and chip shop still cooks in beef fat around here - these are the ones I agree to my kids eating from time to time. But many have switched to vege oil - I guess a combo of cost, perceived health benefit, and pressure from vegetarian sector of the market.

4peatssake

tara said:
The occasional independent fish and chip shop still cooks in beef fat around here - these are the ones I agree to my kids eating from time to time. But many have switched to vege oil - I guess a combo of cost, perceived health benefit, and pressure from vegetarian sector of the market.
We still have a beachside burger and french fry joint that's probably 50 years old or more and they have a big sign that says something like, "We use beef tallow as we have done since we opened our doors in" whatever year it was.

Sea

I think the marshmallow dream bar at starbucks is very healthy:

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/bake ... -dream-bar

At In n Out the cheese burger should be fine if you order it without the spread. They have told me that their bun and burger do not contain vegetable oil, but their spread does.

Dan W

This thread is making me hungry.

Walker's has cookies with far fewer objectionable ingredients than most brands.

There's also the candy bar thread with some tasty sounding options. I really want to try the mint chocolate crunch bar.

cout12

it seems to me like peat thinks almost all junk food is safe, except nuts, wheat and porc & chicken. You just need to prepare it yourself because all premade food will have vegetable oils and additives.

You can make cake from rice flour (maybe even potato flour?) and coconut oil. Ice cream & cheese are safe on their own. Milkshakes. You can make fries and chips from potatoes and coconut oil. You can make cookies, jello and so many deserts from gelatin, sugar and coconut oil. You can make chocolate syrup from cocoa powder and sugar. You could even make super shitty pizza and bread from rice flour.

OP
S

seeyeff

Attakai said:
Does anyone know if there are any fast-food, or at least chain restaurants that are somewhat peaty? On the weekends I'm usually out with my friends and always end up going to some fast-food place like chipotle or In n out.. But I'm trying to cut back on PUFAs and since these places almost always cook their foods in the worst types of vegetable oils I would love to have some healthier fast-food alternatives.

You just gotta know where the PUFA is in order to pick the "least bad" option at whatever place. There's PUFA in everything that has fat, but some foods have mostly saturated fat. What makes it so hard is that vegetable oil is everywhere.

Fried chicken is going to be fried in vegetable oil. Same with french fries. Most Chinese-style food is practically glazed in vegetable oil, you can tell just by looking at it.

Chipotle unfortunately cooks their rice in vegetable oil. But you could skip the rice and get tacos with just meat and cheese and whatever else you like. Apparently, authentic Mexican tacos don't even have cheese and definitely don't come with rice. There will be some veg oil in the tortilla/shell but at least its going to be a small amount compared to something fried in it or a sauce based on it.

A cheeseburger should actually be fine. Beef's fat is mostly saturated. Same with the cheese. The bun is probably going to have veg oil just like your typical loaf of white bread, but its a much smaller amount. And maybe you can get it on sourdough which shouldn't have veg oil.

If you need an alternative to french fries and have a Culver's near you, they serve mashed potatoes which I think is just potato if you order without gravy and then you could add butter, salt, and sour cream to taste.

Where they really get ya is the sauces and dressings. Mayo, ranch, and probably their "special sauce" are all going to be veg oil based. So either go without, or go with something like BBQ sauce or sour cream (which shouldn't have veg oil, and should have a fat composition just like all dairy) for less PUFA.

If you just get something with beef and cheese you should be fine. The bread or taco shell or whatever is unavoidable. And then stick with sauces/condiments that don't have PUFA: ketchup, BBQ, sour cream, salsa. So basically I'm describing burgers and tacos, and maybe pizza depending on whether they put oil in the tomato sauce — which, I don't know how common that is.

seeyeff said:
Attakai said:
Does anyone know if there are any fast-food, or at least chain restaurants that are somewhat peaty? On the weekends I'm usually out with my friends and always end up going to some fast-food place like chipotle or In n out.. But I'm trying to cut back on PUFAs and since these places almost always cook their foods in the worst types of vegetable oils I would love to have some healthier fast-food alternatives.

You just gotta know where the PUFA is in order to pick the "least bad" option at whatever place. There's PUFA in everything that has fat, but some foods have mostly saturated fat. What makes it so hard is that vegetable oil is everywhere.

Fried chicken is going to be fried in vegetable oil. Same with french fries. Most Chinese-style food is practically glazed in vegetable oil, you can tell just by looking at it.

Chipotle unfortunately cooks their rice in vegetable oil. But you could skip the rice and get tacos with just meat and cheese and whatever else you like. Apparently, authentic Mexican tacos don't even have cheese and definitely don't come with rice. There will be some veg oil in the tortilla/shell but at least its going to be a small amount compared to something fried in it or a sauce based on it.

A cheeseburger should actually be fine. Beef's fat is mostly saturated. Same with the cheese. The bun is probably going to have veg oil just like your typical loaf of white bread, but its a much smaller amount. And maybe you can get it on sourdough which shouldn't have veg oil.

If you need an alternative to french fries and have a Culver's near you, they serve mashed potatoes which I think is just potato if you order without gravy and then you could add butter, salt, and sour cream to taste.

Where they really get ya is the sauces and dressings. Mayo, ranch, and probably their "special sauce" are all going to be veg oil based. So either go without, or go with something like BBQ sauce or sour cream (which shouldn't have veg oil, and should have a fat composition just like all dairy) for less PUFA.

If you just get something with beef and cheese you should be fine. The bread or taco shell or whatever is unavoidable. And then stick with sauces/condiments that don't have PUFA: ketchup, BBQ, sour cream, salsa. So basically I'm describing burgers and tacos, and maybe pizza depending on whether they put oil in the tomato sauce — which, I don't know how common that is.

Suspect everything, my friend :mrgreen:

Potatoes, Mashed : Potatoes, Skim Milk, Margarine (Partially Hydrogenated And Fully Refined Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Mono And Diglycerides And Soy Lecithin, Sodium Benzoate Added To Help Preserve Freshness, Artificially Flavored, Vitamin A Palmitate Added), Disodium Pyrophosphate (Added To Maintain Color), Salt And Potassium Sorbate (Added To Maintain Freshness).

Chicken Gravy : Water, Chicken Fat, Roasted Chicken Meat and Chicken Broth, Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Sugar, Onion Powder, Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Dextrose, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Xanthan Gum, Spice, Polysorbate 60, Turmeric, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Natural Flavoring.

Dan W

Boulder Canyon now has coconut oil potato chips. I don't know how widely distributed they are yet (nor what their exact ingredients are), but they might be worth looking for in your local store. They're at Sprouts in my area.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals