whit

I'm interested!

Home made mayo:
3-egg yolks
2-tsp vinegar
1-tsp mustard
1/4-tsp salt
1-1/4- cups olive/mct oil.
Use hand held mixer or stick blender in a bowl or I like a mason jar.
The color isn't going to be pure white like store bought
-Enjoy

Revo

What kind of bread do you guys eat if you eat it at all. I seem a couple of comments about sourdough bread?

Or do i just look for bread that does not contain vegetable or soy oil?

whit

What kind of bread do you guys eat if you eat it at all. I seem a couple of comments about sourdough bread?

It's a good idea to avoid the unsaturared oils.
Most sourdough isn't really sourdough in the traditional sense either.
I generally avoid bread but organic flatbread or sourdough with good saturated fats is fairly tolerated.
Most grains can be problematic for the more sensitive among us.
Experiment and see what you can tolerate.
Bread is a splurge for me though mostly because of the starch and gluten.

CoolTweetPete

Most breads, including gluten free (usually come with PUFA oils and gums) cause me digestive issues.

If regular bread gives you trouble, maybe experiment with a sprouted bread. Unfortunately these also cause issues for me. :(

whit

Most breads, including gluten free (usually come with PUFA oils and gums) cause me digestive issues.

If regular bread gives you trouble, maybe experiment with a sprouted bread. Unfortunately these also cause issues for me. :(

Me too:arghh:
Unfortunately I think the issue with sprouted bread is the same as the whole grain bread.
They leave the hull in the mix as added bulk, not to mention the starch.
Quite a few use soy and other unsaturated oils as well unfortunately.
The freezer section is where most are found around here.
Reading labels in the freezer isle of the market can get you some glares.o_O:penguin:
Great place to cool of in the summer though.:cool:

Revo

There is a brand of chocolate at Walgreens that does not contain soy lecitin. It is a dark chocolate brand called De Lish. Very good. However it does contain palm kernel oil which should be good.

Also some of the soda stream sodas are made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. And a hell of a lot cheaper than Mexican Coke.

tara

Agent207

Home made mayo:
3-egg yolks
2-tsp vinegar
1-tsp mustard
1/4-tsp salt
1-1/4- cups olive/mct oil.
Use hand held mixer or stick blender in a bowl or I like a mason jar.
The color isn't going to be pure white like store bought
-Enjoy

What kind of mustard do you refer to? powdered spice... crushed seeds?

Last edited:

whit

What kind of mustard do you refer to? powdered spice... crushed seeds?
Generally any kind you can find. The fresher the better though as a general rule. The powdered can be used as a thickener. I've been working on a few recipes. I'll likely start sharing on my page but one of them is going to be mustard. It really comes down to your personal taste.

J

James IV

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but laffy taffy, and starburst, both use real sugar and the fats are fully saturated (hydrogenated Palm, and coconut)

L

lollipop

image.png
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but laffy taffy, and starburst, both use real sugar and the fats are fully saturated (hydrogenated Palm, and coconut)
I am not sure...look at the other scary ingredients in laffy taffy:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    840.3 KB · Views: 31

tankasnowgod

For those of you having issues with bread or wheat products- it might be an issue with the iron used to "fortify" the bread. I sometimes have issues with wheat and bread, but when I get non-fortified products, I have NEVER experienced an issue. It's still a splurge for me, but it is nice for occasional variety. If you look at the GI issues that people experience from iron supplements, they match up pretty closely with issues people have with wheat or gluten, so a side benefit (or maybe the main benefit) of going "Gluten Free" might be avoiding the added iron. When I eat wheat, I try and get refined and unfortified.

Trader Joe's has some cool pastas, pizzas, and things like cheese spirals that are imported from places like France that don't fortify their flour (big fan of the Frozen Raspberry Tart, personally). Check the label and give a try if interested.

When I'm doing a road trip, I usually get some Bugles and a real sugar Pepsi or Starbucks Frappacino type thing. Nice to have those options!

L

lollipop

The normal size ones, like they sell at 711, don't have all that stuff in them. Then again, I'm 20 minutes froM Mexico, so they might be coming from there.
That makes sense! I just saw a Mexican coke next to US coke and sure enough, BIG difference in ingredients...