Ray Peat Diet / Protocol Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer

lindsay said:
Open the bottle and take a whiff - you'll know :) I hated the smell of it - it might be part of the reason I had no appetite for 3 weeks, but it worked well. I could eat anything and it would pass through without making me feel horrible. The diarrhea was only in the morning, and as I said it was likely due to the coffee intake. I had so much energy despite having surgery!! I hope it will help and I think it's good you are taking the stuff - I might have avoided my appendicitis if I had known something was up beforehand. I should have known.....

P.S. My dairy cravings (for cheese) were insane following antibiotics (still are)..... which leads to this:

The fall off of the drug is not a happy one - watch out for urinary tract infections - I had issues after I finished my antibiotic doses. But I also had a catheter, so that could be why. I was able to mitigate it with cranberry extract. Also, oranges and OJ have become my friends - they are on par with antibiotics in my book. And I have to limit starch - not avoid it entirely, just be careful. But I still eat bread in very small amounts :) I think my dairy cravings were for the good bacteria - fermented dairy has fantastic benefits (hence my cheese cravings - my Austrian friend pointed this out).
My minocycline came in blister packs like Benedryl so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in regards to the lack of a strong sulphur smell? Now I'm curious where the heck that rotten egg smell came from. :? That's what I get for living in the sticks. LOL

I remember you craved dairy. Me too! I just don't have much of an appetite for anything other than ricotta and mozzarella. Back when I could eat more freely, I use to go to this little Italian pasta shop and get mozzarella with sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil. So good! I'm going to give it a week of taking the antibiotic and then try milk and also OJ. I wish I had energy like you had though. The minocycline is really making me dizzy and knocking me out. I took a 2 hour nap yesterday. Can we even call it a nap at that point? LOL

I'll keep an eye on any possible UTI. I've never had one before and I've used antibiotics my whole life, but I'll be cautious. Thanks for the warning.

One good thing I noticed, after only two days of taking the minocycline, my tongue is very pink/red again. I had noticed my tongue was getting very pale, almost grey in color so when I was brushing my teeth this morning, I was shocked at the color change in such a short period of time. Powerful stuff!

Thanks again for all the info, Lindsay! I really appreciate it! :)

HDD

Jennifer,
This is from the minocycline thread.

Charlie said:
Do not drink milk with an antibiotic, I repeat, do not drink milk with or even near the time of taking an antibiotic. The calcium will bind with the antibiotic and lessen the effect.

And
Peatarian said:
Again, Charlie, I am really sorry. I thought it was common knowledge to not use antibiotics within half an hour of drinking milk. I should have mentioned it again.....

Charlie, I think the headache and the dizziness come from low blood sugar. Always eat something sugary before you use the minocycline.

Jennifer

HDD said:
Jennifer,
This is from the minocycline thread.

Charlie said:
Do not drink milk with an antibiotic, I repeat, do not drink milk with or even near the time of taking an antibiotic. The calcium will bind with the antibiotic and lessen the effect.

And
Peatarian said:
Again, Charlie, I am really sorry. I thought it was common knowledge to not use antibiotics within half an hour of drinking milk. I should have mentioned it again.....

Charlie, I think the headache and the dizziness come from low blood sugar. Always eat something sugary before you use the minocycline.

Oh, thank you so much for letting me know, Diane. I saw the precautions to not to drink milk or have any food with the minocycline. I've been taking it right before bed and usually I would be eating something, but have gone to bed hungry the past couple nights. That would explain the dizziness. I need to remember to eat around 8pm so that I don't continue to go to bed hungry.

Thanks again, Diane! I appreciate it! :)

lindsay

Jennifer said:
My minocycline came in blister packs like Benedryl so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in regards to the lack of a strong sulphur smell? Now I'm curious where the heck that rotten egg smell came from. :? That's what I get for living in the sticks. LOL

I remember you craved dairy. Me too! I just don't have much of an appetite for anything other than ricotta and mozzarella. Back when I could eat more freely, I use to go to this little Italian pasta shop and get mozzarella with sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil. So good! I'm going to give it a week of taking the antibiotic and then try milk and also OJ. I wish I had energy like you had though. The minocycline is really making me dizzy and knocking me out. I took a 2 hour nap yesterday. Can we even call it a nap at that point? LOL

I'll keep an eye on any possible UTI. I've never had one before and I've used antibiotics my whole life, but I'll be cautious. Thanks for the warning.

One good thing I noticed, after only two days of taking the minocycline, my tongue is very pink/red again. I had noticed my tongue was getting very pale, almost grey in color so when I was brushing my teeth this morning, I was shocked at the color change in such a short period of time. Powerful stuff!

Thanks again for all the info, Lindsay! I really appreciate it! :)

What color are the pills? I had ones that were two shades of green..... or maybe is was reddish. I can't remember. I think they were red. But I had a bottle for ten days worth. Had to take them every few hours. I took two kinds, though. One was odorless. Pretty sure my surgeon said one of them was Minocycline and I think it was the smelly one. I need to keep my prescriptions for future recollection :P

That's funny about the Mozzarella - all I ate for about two weeks was tomato and mozzarella salads with basil and balsamic glaze :) Eventually I started craving eggs too. And that's when I started making Zapekanka (Russian cheese pie with ricotta and eggs and sugar!)

Regarding energy, I should note that I could barely stand up for a few days. I laid in bed for almost a week post surgery and then when the fever stayed down consistently and my bowel movements picked back up (pain killers bind you right up post-op), it was like I had all this pent up energy to use. But it came in spurts and usually required regular naps :) I would do things like go for a short walk, and then I needed a nap. I started working 3 weeks after my surgery and would need like two days to recover after shooting a wedding - lol. So take it in strides and let yourself have those naps and fight the infection - that's probably why you are tired. Because the body is fighting.

As I said, the UTI for me could have been due to the appendicitis or catheter, but I was going to go back to the doctor and then I looked online and found that it is common after antibiotics, when the bad bacteria try to creep back in. So I immediately bought the cranberry stuff and it helped a lot. I'm going to try making this stuff soon - http://earthweareone.com/this-is-the-mo ... -the-body/

My friend sent me the recipe link and it looks pretty legit. I've been doing quite well lately - I attribute it to eating sushi, which is super nutritious and easy to digest. I haven't been eating a whole lot, but the oranges and sushi have seemed to help the digestive issues from creeping back in (I was getting super bloated).

How many days are you on the antibiotics?

Glad to hear your tongue is pink!! I never look at mine :P Keep us posted as to how you progress!!

Jennifer

Lindsay said:
What color are the pills? I had ones that were two shades of green..... or maybe is was reddish. I can't remember. I think they were red. But I had a bottle for ten days worth. Had to take them every few hours. I took two kinds, though. One was odorless. Pretty sure my surgeon said one of them was Minocycline and I think it was the smelly one. I need to keep my prescriptions for future recollection :P
Mine are green on one side, white on the other. I was prescribed 100mg, once per day for 30 days. I see my doctor in 2 1/2 weeks to see how I'm doing and if all looks good, she's putting my mom on it as well since she has all the same symptoms as me.

Lindsay said:
That's funny about the Mozzarella - all I ate for about two weeks was tomato and mozzarella salads with basil and balsamic glaze :) Eventually I started craving eggs too. And that's when I started making Zapekanka (Russian cheese pie with ricotta and eggs and sugar!)
Ooh...Lindsay, that sounds delicious! You have the best traditional Russian recipes. All I was doing was mixing up ricotta, sugar, salt and a touch of milk to thin out the consistency and eating this three times a day. I miss it so. :(

When I can have dairy again, I'll try making Zapekanka. I miss baking. I was really good at it, but there hasn't been much use for those skills with what I can tolerate currently.

Lindsay said:
Regarding energy, I should note that I could barely stand up for a few days. I laid in bed for almost a week post surgery and then when the fever stayed down consistently and my bowel movements picked back up (pain killers bind you right up post-op), it was like I had all this pent up energy to use. But it came in spurts and usually required regular naps :) I would do things like go for a short walk, and then I needed a nap. I started working 3 weeks after my surgery and would need like two days to recover after shooting a wedding - lol. So take it in strides and let yourself have those naps and fight the infection - that's probably why you are tired. Because the body is fighting.
That makes a lot of sense. Okay, you convinced me! From now on, I'll nap without feeling guilty. :)

Lindsay said:
My friend sent me the recipe link and it looks pretty legit. I've been doing quite well lately - I attribute it to eating sushi, which is super nutritious and easy to digest. I haven't been eating a whole lot, but the oranges and sushi have seemed to help the digestive issues from creeping back in (I was getting super bloated).

Glad to hear your tongue is pink!! I never look at mine :P Keep us posted as to how you progress!!
I'm glad the sushi and oranges are helping. That's a good sign!

I notice the color of my tongue because of brushing it. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have noticed the color. But yeah, I'll keep you posted. Thanks! :)

purbec

johns74 said:
Kasper said:
But then he says to watch out for too high phosporus/calcium ratios and too much cysteine/methionine and too little glycine.

Well then you end up with only bone broth from beef or lamb with lots of gelatin. Or a beef/lamb steak with added gelatin and calcium.

Wrong, you can add a little cheese, or if you don't have issues with it, mashed potatoes, or even cooked veggies high in calcium, and you fix the calcium/phosphorus ratio. See, you have three options there. 1 for the most strict, 2 for the not so strict.

Trying to have the right calcium phosphorus ratio all the time is more strict than people will need. The fact that Peat explains that having a good calcium phosphorus ratio is beneficial doesn't imply you should go nuts and have such ratio in every single meal. That's crazy territory, unless you do it for a specific disease, or if it takes you very little effort.

I know from horse nutrition that the calcium/phosphorus ratio is the foundation of their diet and if that is wrong then it doesn't matter how many expensive mineral mixes one buys, the horse tends to have issues due to this foundational ratio being imbalanced.
Correcting all problems with horses starts with first looking at the calcium/phos. ratio and going from there.

So i find it interesting that RP mentions this - although of course our needs DO vary from horses, i still found it interesting he noted the importance of this ratio for human health.

I haven't checked my ratio for this personally...i've just started using cron-o-meter, so it'll be interesting to see how my diet looks - today is 500 calories too little - amazing! I'm so stuffed too! I'm good with fat, need more protein and carbs.

I agree the word Diet holds too many connotations in this modern age and suggests more to most folk that it's restrictive, boring and therefore stressful.
I'm new to RP dietary philosophies but i've found it more liberating the more i read about it! Although, i'm easily pleased, anyone who says cheese is good will always get my vote! ha! ;-)

tara

purbec said:
I know from horse nutrition that the calcium/phosphorus ratio is the foundation of their diet and if that is wrong then it doesn't matter how many expensive mineral mixes one buys, the horse tends to have issues due to this foundational ratio being imbalanced.
Correcting all problems with horses starts with first looking at the calcium/phos. ratio and going from there.

So i find it interesting that RP mentions this - although of course our needs DO vary from horses, i still found it interesting he noted the importance of this ratio for human health.
Interesting.

Jennifer

freyasam said:
visionofstrength said:
Here are Ray Peat's suggested daily allowances --- which Jennifer has coined (earlier in this thread) as the RDA (Ray's Daily Allowances) --- for the various Peatian foods and supplements, gathered mostly from email exchanges.

This has probably already been discussed, but would Peat really recommend all this? He's stated in many places how he believes most supplements should be avoided.
Oh gosh! Just to clear up any confusion, I had "jokenly" suggested calling the diet "Ray's Dietary Advice" (RDA), not Ray's Daily Allowances. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

freyasam

Yeah, I wasn't concerned with the name, just wondering to myself whether RP would really recommend all those supplements, since I was under the impression based on several things he's written that he doesn't recommend most supplements. Once he told me he only uses oily vitamins topically to avoid ingesting the industrial contaminants, for example. I can't imagine him recommending people would take so many supplements.

I deleted my comment because I figured this issue has already been discussed, though. I haven't read the entire thread.

Thanks, freyasam. Can you find the email where he says that? I do remember Peat saying that he takes Vitamin D on the skin only.

The proposed "RDAs" (working title) are meant to collect from Peat's work and email a framework for self-dosing, but always based on one's own individual needs.

It's been thrown open to review by the members and so far the reviews have been mostly positive, but there's still work to be done.

freyasam

I asked him how much A to supplement and mentioned I get anxiety from Nutrisorb A.

RP: I use the vitamin A only on my skin, because I get intense symptoms from even a small amount orally.

Me: Do you recommend Carlson's A gelcaps if I'm unable to get enough from food?

RP: I think it's safest to use the oily vitamins on the skin.

Thanks! I don't think that's been reported about A anywhere I've seen before. I'd only seen it about D!

sm1693

freyasam said:
I asked him how much A to supplement and mentioned I get anxiety from Nutrisorb A.

Yeah I get massive anxiety from any type of supplemental Vitamin A. It brings on severe nightmares as well. I've tried 3 different brands, including 2 that are highly recommended here.

Jennifer

I asked Ray if he thinks an all fruit diet is safe and optimal, along with a fat-free diet and here was his response:

"I recommend a diet including milk, eggs, cheese, orange juice and some other fruits, sea food, certain meats (emphasizing gelatinous things), and occasionally liver. I usually recommend some butter, coconut oil, and some occasional olive oil (for example with a carrot salad). I think any active adult should get at least 100 grams of protein per day." RP

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Jennifer said:
I asked Ray if he thinks an all fruit diet is safe and optimal, along with a fat-free diet and here was his response:

"I recommend a diet including milk, eggs, cheese, orange juice and some other fruits, sea food, certain meats (emphasizing gelatinous things), and occasionally liver. I usually recommend some butter, coconut oil, and some occasional olive oil (for example with a carrot salad). I think any active adult should get at least 100 grams of protein per day." RP
:thankyoublue Thanks Jennifer

Jennifer

You're welcome, Blossom! :)

I love how simple his recommendations really are and not at all complicated or restrictive. It really is a freeing feeling compared to most of the dietary advice out there. Yay Ray! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals