A1 Vs A2 Milk - Is The Devil Really In The Milk?

An old 1992 article:

A Naturally Occurring Opioid Peptide from Cow’s Milk, Beta-Casomorphine-7, Is a Direct Histamine Releaser in Man

Abstract

β-Casomorphine-7, a naturally occurring product of cow’s milk with opiate-like activity, was studied for possible direct histamine liberation activities in humans. It was found to cause concentration-dependent in vitro histamine release from peripheral leukocytes of healthy adult volunteers. Intradermal injectionof β-casomorphine-7 induced a wheal and flare reaction in the skin similarto histamine or codeine. Oral pretreatment with the H1 antagonist terfenadine significantly inhibited the skin responses to β-casomorphine-7. The intradermal injection of an opiate receptor antagonist, naloxone, inhibited in vitro histamine release and skin reactions only in a 100-fold excess over β-casomorphine-7. These findings suggest that β-casomorphine-7 can be regarded as a noncytotoxic, direct histamine releaser in humans. The clinical relevance of these findings deserves further studies.
A Naturally Occurring Opioid Peptide from Cow’s Milk, Beta-Casomorphine-7, Is a Direct Histamine Releaser in Man
I agree with this. Since upping my milk intake, I have classic histamine/allergic reactions.

Dr. B

Thank you for posting that link.

Well, I tried my first glass of A2 milk this morning. Yep. Snuffy nose symptoms. Not as bad as regular milk but still noticeable congestion and stuffiness. And my stomach feels a bit queasy. So, now for me (sigh) it’s on to trying goat’s milk.
was it raw? what brand, what ingredients, any added vitamins?

bornamachine

I've never had issues with milk until I was about 21 and got thyroid issues and then had itchy irritation and small amounts of blood any time I drank milk.

Over the years I tried different milks including raw but noticed same issue.

After that I largely avoided milk because of the irritation it brought, I think at some point I even tried raw goat milk and had issues.

Fast forward like 10 years and I buy 3 gallons a week of low pasteurizef milk that gets consumed weekly by my wife and 3 children, me pretty much nothing.

She still boils the milk but it's def the best tasting milk of all milks we tried, better then all the raw as well at half the cost at current $7.39 a gallon.

But, recently, I tried drinking a full cup of this milk and had no issues, the only diff. Is that I warmed the milk up on the oven before I drank it, I've tried it several times since then and had no side effects! I think I've tried cold again and had issues.

I've heard of the a1/a2 debate before, too much info to make a def. Claim but I'm willing to try it to see if it makes a diff.

I found an a2 producer in Cali thats all organic no additives etc etc they sell their 55lb dry milk at $488 which comes out to roughly $7 a gallon.

Has anyone had experience with dry a2 milk?

bornamachine

My wife says in Africa nobody ever drinks cold milk, all milk always brought to a boil and then drunk warm and never cold (yet it's always warm there it's not like they could toss it in the fridge before :/ ) but anyway, given my drinking warm milk positive experience there might be something to it. Would be cool to see if others tried this experiment.

My milk is low pasteurized non homogenized milk made by tunawerth.
Fyi: local authorities made them take off the low pasteurized label recently and they can now only write "pasteurized" even though they use the low pasteurization process! What BS

bornamachine

Disclaimer, this is anecdotal with a small test subject and gene pool size.

For the past ~3 years I have averaged 2+ gallons per day ( then before that, 1 gallon for about 3 years, so 6+ years straight with at least 1 gallon of milk per day), wife about a quart, and daughters 1/2 gallon each. I've done A2 cows milk and Goat milk experiments with myself, wife and daughters for over a months time with each. The only differences we noticed was cost of food went up, and A2 makes my belly feel icky. But obviously others have had different results, so self experimentation is important.
Thanks for the input

Dr. B

I've never had issues with milk until I was about 21 and got thyroid issues and then had itchy irritation and small amounts of blood any time I drank milk.

Over the years I tried different milks including raw but noticed same issue.

After that I largely avoided milk because of the irritation it brought, I think at some point I even tried raw goat milk and had issues.

Fast forward like 10 years and I buy 3 gallons a week of low pasteurizef milk that gets consumed weekly by my wife and 3 children, me pretty much nothing.

She still boils the milk but it's def the best tasting milk of all milks we tried, better then all the raw as well at half the cost at current $7.39 a gallon.

But, recently, I tried drinking a full cup of this milk and had no issues, the only diff. Is that I warmed the milk up on the oven before I drank it, I've tried it several times since then and had no side effects! I think I've tried cold again and had issues.

I've heard of the a1/a2 debate before, too much info to make a def. Claim but I'm willing to try it to see if it makes a diff.

I found an a2 producer in Cali thats all organic no additives etc etc they sell their 55lb dry milk at $488 which comes out to roughly $7 a gallon.

Has anyone had experience with dry a2 milk?
is that azure standard dry milk organic powder? they arent able to clarify if their milk is fortified with vitamin A and D so i am not sure. it tastes decent ive tried the skim milk powder (mixed in juice) its hard to mix, clumps a lot

heated milk seems to taste better than raw, for the same reasons eggs, meat seem to taste far better cooked than raw

gerson

Hey guys,
I was thinking about starting a new thread about this, but I figured I could try asking it here.

It's about this study: (PDF) Evaluation of b-casein variants in Egyptian goat, sheep and cattle by allele specific PCR and relevance to b- casomorphin.

They find that cattle contains more of the A1 allele, but sheep and goats still contain it also.

Why then is cow milk generally regarded as A1 milk and goat milk as A2 as goat when they actually both have it?

From the study:
Table 2: Genotypes and allele frequencies of the used animals
A1A1 A1A2 A2A2 A1 A2
Goat 4% 80% 16% 0.44 0.56
Sheep 4% 78% 18% 0.43 0.57
Cattle 22% 64% 14% 0.54 0.46

So the prevalence of A1A2 is clearly the biggest in sheep, goats and cattle. Does A1A2 genotype produce A1 or A2 milk or what am I missing here ?

Amazoniac

A resident bear of ours reminded me to post:

- Degradation of β-casomorphin-7 through in vitro gastrointestinal and jejunal brush border membrane digestion

Abstract said:
This work aimed to study the opioid peptide β-casomorphin-7 (BCM7) degradation or stability during digestion using human gastrointestinal (GI) juices and porcine jejunal brush border membrane (BBM) peptidases. Synthetic BCM7 was subjected to in vitro digestion by GI fluids obtained from human volunteers for 180 min, and to downstream degradation with porcine BBM vesicles. The BCM7 was sampled at 4 time points over 24 h after BBM addition. The digests were profiled by HPLC-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (ESI/MS) to monitor BCM7 during GI digestion, and intact BCM7 through BBM digestion was quantified by reverse-phase (RP)-HPLC. We found that BCM7 was partly digested with human GI enzymes, as 3 proteolytic fragments in addition to f(60–66) YPFPGPI were detected: f(62–66) FPGPI, f(60–65) YPFPGP and f(61–66) PFPGPI. The RP-HPLC analysis revealed that 42% of the initial peptide was degraded after only 2 h of BBM digestion, and as much as 79% was degraded after 4-h digestion with supplementation of BBM. In conclusion, this study showed that most of BCM7 was degraded during GI and BBM digestion, although a small amount (5%) was still detected after 24-h digestion. It remains to be studied whether the small amount of intact BCM7 detected after in vitro digestion is transported via active transceptors in the human intestinal epithelial cells and enters blood circulation.

mosaic01

PS: a funny coincidence happened only 2 months after the documentary "White misschief" got broadcasted. Howard Paterson, the billionnaire new zeland businessman who had decided to proceed full steam ahead in the marketing and sale of A2 milk met a very unfortnuate death at 50 years of age alone in his hotel room: he died by choking on his food....

"A deal that would have seen Fonterra help market A2 milk as a first step to switching all New Zealand's milk supply to A2 was sealed with a handshake in 2003.
But within two weeks one of the parties, A2 Corporation head Howard Paterson, died suddenly and the deal was off."

Sadly, no one is allowed to go against the system, no matter how rich. A drugged population is easier to control.

Dr. B

"A deal that would have seen Fonterra help market A2 milk as a first step to switching all New Zealand's milk supply to A2 was sealed with a handshake in 2003.
But within two weeks one of the parties, A2 Corporation head Howard Paterson, died suddenly and the deal was off."

Sadly, no one is allowed to go against the system, no matter how rich. A drugged population is easier to control.

You’re saying they intentionally want new zealand on A1 milk to harm the populations health?