Do you have high Iron Levels?

Do you have high Iron Levels?

• You present with persistent health challenges?

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • In the course of you treatment had levels of Iron tested?

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • If Yes, did you have a Serum Iron test?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Did you have a Ferritin Test?

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Did you have a Transferrin Test?

• Did you have a Transferrin Saturation Test?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • In at least one of these tests, did it indicate a high level of Iron?

• At any point since the test have you had confirmation of Iron levels decreasing?

• Total voters

natedawggh

Posting a poll to see how much collective experience our community has had in dealing with Iron toxicity, and what the relation is to Iron levels and people seeking help.

tara

The few times I've been tested, I've been nearer the bottom end of their ranges. A couple of times I was prescribed iron supps. Pre-Peat, I tried them for a bit but didn't finish prescriptions. First time in case it would help my migraines (it didn't). Second time when I was pregnant (baby born slightly jaundiced).

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

tara said:
The few times I've been tested, I've been nearer the bottom end of their ranges. A couple of times I was prescribed iron supps. Pre-Peat, I tried them for a bit but didn't finish prescriptions. First time in case it would help my migraines (it didn't). Second time when I was pregnant (baby born slightly jaundiced).

Yes. If the body has a state of high Hepcidin, then tests would show a low level of iron, but it is misleading because the iron has been sequestered into other tissues and is in fact not low at all, because the body also does not excrete it when Hepcidin is high.

I think I read something Peat said recently that Iron causes Jaundice. Did you take the supplements before giving birth? This would indicate a high level of Iron present, which is ironic if the test did not reflect that.

tara

natedawggh said:
I think I read something Peat said recently that Iron causes Jaundice. Did you take the supplements before giving birth? This would indicate a high level of Iron present, which is ironic if the test did not reflect that.
Yes, since reading Peat, I now think the iron supplements I took during pregnancy are likely to have contributed to jaundiced baby. My guess is my iron levels were fine before (showing just above the lower end of the ranges), but the supplements pushed them higher than was good for either of us.
(The jaundice cleared fairly quickly - I was advised to give baby sun-exposure, which I did as best I could given it was the middle of winter.)

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

tara said:
natedawggh said:
Yes, since reading Peat, I now think the iron supplements I took during pregnancy are likely to have contributed to jaundiced baby. My guess is my iron levels were fine before (showing just above the lower end of the ranges), but the supplements pushed them higher than was good for either of us.
(The jaundice cleared fairly quickly - I was advised to give baby sun-exposure, which I did as best I could given it was the middle of winter.)

Yeah, most of my nieces and nephews have been born with Jaundice. It's crazy that no one knows.

SQu

I made the same mistake with a prenatal multi vitamin with iron. Both babies were jaundiced. A friend's pediatrician prescribed iron for her newborn baby causing great distress with terrible constipation. I suggested she stop but she had a kind of helpless inability to not follow doctor's advice to the letter even knowing what the iron was doing.

bornamachine

Iron.png

You are welcome.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals