Are Topical Oils For The Skin A PUFA?

4peatssake

Stunning4keke said:
what is the best brand to get of coconut? thanks!

Ray has recommended Tropical Traditions "expeller expressed" coconut oil. He recommends expeller expressed over virgin coconut oil due to food sensitivities.

Ray Peat said:
Most cities have wholesale grocers that either stock it (in five gallon buckets) or can get it, and they usually charge about $50 per bucket. GloryBee in Eugene is one place I have bought it, and Tropical Traditions has a good one, called expeller expressed, non-certified, and I think it's shipped from Nevada.

Here is a link to the forum's extensive list of supplements which is a great resource and has links to where you can purchase Tropical Traditions.

viewtopic.php?p=595#p595

Here is a link to the expeller expressed coconut oil on their website.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expeller-pressed_coconut_oil.htm

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

so how can i find out exactly everything that is a PUFA for internal and external? is there some kind of PUFA list? i already saw the cooking oil list but i mean for external (skin)? and everything else like eggs, etc.

right now i am in the middle of throwing out all my cosmetics and lotions because they all have PUFA and i am having difficulty searching for things since i am an Esthetician and have a few different accounts with people, i am in kinda a bind here. but for myself, right now i am throwing things out.

now Arkofwellness (Ark) on this forum carries in her shop "Thorne Body Lotion" and the only PUFA in it is a safflower oil and the rest looks very good. i am assuming that is okay since she seems to really be into all of this and not using PUFA but wanted to make sure?

lastly, is sea buckthorne oil, carrot oil, kukui oil, grapeseed oil all PUFA? and i think RP did say that jojoba oil is okay to use.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

and is apricot kernal oil a PUFA? i've looked all of them up on Wikipedia and couldn't find if those are PUFA?

apricot kernal
sea buckthorne
carrot oil
kukui oil
grapeseed oil
?
thanks!

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

and is lecithin considered PuFA?

so it's
lecithin
apricot kernal oil
sea buckthorne
carrot oil
kukui oil
grapeseed oil

and is the thorne lotion okay if it only has the sunflower seed oil?
thank you!

Beebop

I'm surprised to see Ark of Wellness selling/endorsing that body lotion. Aside from sunflower oil it has xanthan gum, guar gum, glycerin, rice protein, and carrageenan. Avoid.

Maybe she has a good reason to use it...? :|

I would also avoid everything on that list.

Mittir

Stunning4keke said:
right now i am in the middle of throwing out all my cosmetics and lotions because they all have PUFA and i am having difficulty searching for things since i am an Esthetician and have a few different accounts with people, i am in kinda a bind here. but for myself, right now i am throwing things out.

Instead of throwing away all your beauty products containing PUFA, do you think you can make your own solution by adding PUFA containing lotion to high saturated fat oil like coconut oil, a diluted solution with a better ratio of PUFA and saturated fat. I would not worry about small amount of PUFA in essential oil. In future you can make your own skin care products with better oil. I could not find good scientific information on oil absorption rate through skin. This is the only article gives some scientific explanation

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/mama- ... ch-gets-in

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

thank you both Beebop and Mittir,

i did a hard search about carrot oil and could not find that it had any linoleic or olecic (spell check)? so i think carrot oil is a safe oil to use.
i don't know why Ark uses the Thorne lotion? maybe because it states that it is estrogenic and gluten free.? and the only PUFA in the Thorne is the sunflower seed oil so maybe it's okay?

i think this lotion is okay too--and it's one that i have always loved and used. here are the ingredients of the Green Tea
Agua (Distilled Water), Jojoba Beads, Milk Caprilic/Capric Triglycerides , Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Paraguay Tea Extract, Ivy (Hedera Helix) Extract, Violet Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Hawaiian Seaplant Extract, Borage (Borago Officinallis) Seed Oil, Macademun (Ternifolia) Nut Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, D-apha-tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vitamin E Lanoleate.

the only ingredients that i don't like are the Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Borago Oil, Kukui Oil and sesame oil. the macademun is pretty low on the PUFA list.

and maybe it's like Mittir says that a better ratio of PUFA and saturated fat. but what is a saturated fat?
i was thinking of asking RP about ingredients when i purchase something again so maybe i will ask him about both the Thorne and Green Tea.

thank you for the link!

pboy

lol...I just have to ask, why carrot oil? Do you want to smell like carrots?

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

it happened to be an ingredient in one of the skin care lotions i love. and i just wanted to know exactly what was all a PuFa and i'm annoyed that i can't use the things i loved for so long and i'm going to have to find other alternatives.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

so i asked RP about some skin care lotions i love using and the ingredients and he hasn't gotten back to me about it when he usually does right away.

any idea how i can word the question about the skin care lotions to him.

for instance, i asked him if this skin care lotion was safe to use even though there are some oils in it/like is the ration okay?

Green Tea Lotion:

Agua (Distilled Water), Jojoba Beads, Milk Caprilic/Capric Triglycerides , Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Paraguay Tea Extract, Ivy (Hedera Helix) Extract, Violet Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Hawaiian Seaplant Extract, Borage (Borago Officinallis) Seed Oil, Macademun (Ternifolia) Nut Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, D-apha-tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vitamin E Lanoleate.

jyb

Its loaded with nut/seed oils and thus pufa so use at your own risk?

pboy

when people get near you they'll be like 'dam she stinks, she smells like PUFAS'

Id just be direct and honest with Ray..."Do these oils penetrate the skin? Could they be more harmful than good over time? Are there any potential antioxidant benefits?" Maybe ask about some of the carrier mediums. That's all I can think of...I remember him saying that copper (as in wearing a bracelet) wouldn't be absorbed unless there was sufficient friction and heat...like if you were moving and sweating while wearing it, or possibly in a hot shower...and that even if some did get absorbed it wouldn't ever be very much

HDD

"when people get near you they'll be like 'dam she stinks, she smells like PUFAS' " :rolling

Or in my case, small dogs trying to lick the coconut oil off my legs.

HDD

I apologize Keke, I wasn't meaning any disrespect. Just got a laugh out of his comment

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

all right all right--very funny now. now you must give me the link to those rolling on the floor emoticon's.

pboy, i want to construct a good email to RP. like i said he usually gets back to me the next day but he hasn't on two occasions when the emails were more intricate. but i do wish to ask him about the above Green Tea ingredients and this
Pumpkin Lotion:
Agua (Distilled Water), Glycerides, Glycerol Stearate, Desert Cellulose, Super Concentrated Pumpkin Extracts, Glycolic Acid, Beta-glucosamine, Beta-fructan, Pumpkin (Cucurbita Pepo) Seed Oil, Pumpkin Enzymes, D-alpha-tocopherol (Vitamin E), Essential Oils, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract.

would you help me construct an email for him with these two lotion ingredients in mind?

and should i go by stunning or keke? i can't decided ;)

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

pboy, what do you think about these ingredients for this body lotion? i don't think it's too bad.

Hydrosols Aqua: **neroli citrus aurantium, *rose rosa damascena. *Aloe vera aloe barbadensis. ***Shea butter butyrospermum parkii. Plant oils: *jojoba simmondsia chinensis, *coconut cocos nucifera, ***kukui aleurite moluccana. CO2 extracts: *seabuckthorn hippophae rhamnoides, *carrot daucus carota, *rosemary rosmarinus officinalis. ***Vitamin E tocopherol [non-GMO]. ***Neroli citrus aurantium wax. Proprietary blend * **essential oils. **Grape vitis vinifera alcohol. Vegetable cellulose.

it really only has 2 PUFA's. and it's $50.00

pboy

When looking at spices and herbs and things like that, some have good ratios of minerals, some are slightly off...but overall the main things in the diet completely trump this because of the sheer amount. I've never emailed Ray myself so I wouldn't know the best way to get a response quickly, but I assume he receives a lot of emails and has limited time...so he probably scans for the ones he has good answers for and are relatively short to answer first. Maybe start with a simple email with just 3 questions, try to get an answer, then depending on what he says you could later ask more detailed questions. As for the above ingredients, they all look fine to me (its basically herbs in grape alcohol with a little cellulose it looks like, and vit E as a helper preservative). I'd ask..."Are herbal extracts generally safe to use on skin (in fragrance and lotion)?" "How safe is alcohol as a carrier medium when used on the skin?" "Should I worry about PUFA's in my essential oils or lotions, or is this dependent on the specific ingredients used?" Hope you can eventually find a good answer to this keke, sorry I can't help more in this regard

Godiva

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that coconut oil isn't the only non-PUFA oil which you can use. Tallow (beef fat) has traditionally been used for skin care and it works very well. It sounds gross, but if you think about it, were animals, not plants. The oils which our skin produces naturally are animal fats. Our skin cells require a large amount of saturated fat for cellular integrity. I know coconut oil is also saturated and I do use a tiny bit of it on my hair, but it didn't do much for my seriously dry skin. Tallow completely cures it. The only time I get dry again is if I take a shower and forget to re-apply it. I'm still young (under 30), but due to my eye shape and tendency for dry skin, I was already experiencing drooping eyelids. With a homemade tallow balm and nothing else, they have completely corrected. My skin is soft, smooth, and even. I don't have to use foundation anymore. I use it head to toe and also on my girls. It is pretty greasy at first but it soaks in quickly, or if you're in a rush or just don't like the feel, massage it in (after a shower is best), wait a minute, then wipe off the excess with a towel.

This may be a hard sell for your customers though. Most people are thoroughly grossed out by the idea of using animal fat thanks to all the vegans pushing companies away from animal based products. (Many lipsticks still contain tallow though so you could point out that they have probably already used it) Even my husband who is pretty relaxed about most things gets a little icked out every time I make it. He does admit that it makes me softer than anything else I've used and so he tolerates it :lol: I would keep both tallow and coconut oil on hand for if you have vegan clients.

You can buy it at http://vintagetradition.com/ or if you want you can try making it yourself. It's easy and cheap. I can make about a 2 month supply for 3 people for less than 4 dollars. They have instructions on there but I can give you mine (slightly different) if you like. Just let me know.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals