PUFA Detox And Long Term Well Being

Mittir

@SaltGirl
Your hypothesis is exactly what RP recommends. It is the ratio of Saturated fat
to PUFA that matters most than just the absolute amount of PUFA.
RP recommends saturated fat ( Short chain and medium chain are the best)
with every meal to change the blood ratio of SAT to PUFA. Saturated fat
temporarily lowers the PUFA's access to cell.

Saturated fat also improves glucose metabolism by stimulating pyruvate
dehydrogenase enzyme and PUFA does the opposite.

RP has also mentioned that one can improve the SAT to PUFA ratio by
making extra saturated fat from carbohydrate. Gaining some saturated
fat by eating extra sugar/carb is protective for a person with bad ratio
of SAT to PUFA. RP has also mentioned that once PUFA is depleted then
there is no major thyroid stimulating benefit from eating coconut oil.

Mittir

Amazoniac said:
Mittir,

How do you know for sure that the gradual improvements you notice were from strict PUFA avoidance. And why, in your opinion, it happened in this staircase pattern. I would expect either one:
- A big sudden improvement after some time of restriction. And just one.
or
- A slow improvement following a smooth curve, and not the stair pattern.

I know almost nothing about physiology and biochemistry of human body.
It is just a mare observation. I can not be sure about anything.
It could be a seasonal thing, season changes every 3-4 months.
May be it takes 3-4 months to make a considerable change in ratio of
SFA to PUFA, 3 month is 1/16th of 4 year, where it usually takes 4 years
to reflect dietary change in stored fatty acid ratio. I do not like to
speculate on things i have no idea about.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Amazoniac said:
Mittir,

How do you know for sure that the gradual improvements you notice were from strict PUFA avoidance. And why, in your opinion, it happened in this staircase pattern. I would expect either one:
- A big sudden improvement after some time of restriction. And just one.
or
- A slow improvement following a smooth curve, and not the stair pattern.

I know almost nothing about physiology and biochemistry of human body.
It is just a mare observation. I can not be sure about anything.
It could be a seasonal thing, season changes every 3-4 months.
May be it takes 3-4 months to make a considerable change in ratio of
SFA to PUFA, 3 month is 1/16th of 4 year, where it usually takes 4 years
to reflect dietary change in stored fatty acid ratio. I do not like to
speculate on things i have no idea about.
Although you don't like to speculate, and I completely understand why, I think that is very consistent with many of our personal experiences. I appreciate the observation.

Ewlevy1 said:
arinryan,

If you don't mind me asking, what were your health issues that went away after 3 years? (If it's not personal of course) I wonder because I am 6 months into being a peatarian and my health issues are still not gone yet.

Butting in here, in my situation (serious health issues, most are listed in my log), it has taken the better part of ONE YEAR to see major health improvements. I'm a middle-aged woman, so your mileage may vary especially if you aren't strict. At my six month mark I had seen some improvements, but still struggled with some huge issues and felt like I would never heal and wanted to quit....so GLAD I didn't!!!

I have been quite strict in my approach to Peat's dietary recommendations and have "cheated" only occasionally while taking notes and paying close attention to what happens when I stray, I like to experiment that way. I can say for absolute certainty that eating too much PUFA makes my skin break out. And if I don't get enough protein (for me that's 100 grams, sometimes more) and sugar (at least double what I eat in protein) then my liver struggles with it's ability to detox estrogen. Endotoxin from the gut seriously hampers the liver's job. When I first started Peating my liver was tender and ached all the time, that has since gone away. My skin has cleared up. I no longer have menstrual or sleep problems either. These are permanent improvements and there are more, but I won't bore ya'll with details.

Strict PUFA AVOIDANCE has been critical for my long term well-being. I truly can feel the difference when I eat too much. Again, keeping the intestines happy has been a huge factor and eating dense nutrition to help my liver.

I'm excited to see the difference three more years will make....

Amazoniac

I'm curious about the noticeable improvements derived from PUFA restriction in practice..
So, for those who have been restricting for long enough to notice health improvements, what did you notice? Along with that, are there possible (and common) side effects that one must expect before the positives?
I know there are a lot of logs in this forum about improvements from following Dr. Peat guidelines, but in this case I'm really interested in hearing specific from PUFA restriction..

Note that the real cool stuff starts happening below four grams a day. Any time I get fifteen or so from a restaurant or whatever, I lose that "edge" for a couple of days.

Amazoniac said:
If you don't mind sharing, what's your story regarding PUFA restriction?

About a year of strict George Burr kind of diet.

Amazoniac said:
Have you noticed any negative effects before the improvements?

Just some excess adrenalin for one week. Coming off two months of interval training it's hard to feel any worse.

Amazoniac said:
Did you also notice the gradual improvement (that can be attributable to PUFA restriction)?

No, because I'm doing so many different things!

gretchen

I've been detoxing PUFA 2 and a half years. I'm less tired and fatigued overall than I used to be.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Gretchen,

About how long until you started feeling better? I'm 7 months in and still not even close...the more I dial in my peat nutrition the more fatigued I become. Did you experience this? Wonder if it could be PUFA detox? Let me know if you can relate. If anyone else can relate please chime in.

I took one drop of Progest-E yesterday and I have low energy, stone cold feet. I can take one gram of pregnenolone no problem. I really wonder about people who take a bottle per week. Anyway if I am running on stress now I wonder what I was running on five years ago!

narouz

You're the only poster I remember having that Progest-E reaction, Such.

I wonder what clue that might provide?
Diagnosis by treatment:
Some here have had very energizing and apparently effective results from lisuride.
It made me very fatigued the first few times I took just a little bit.
I've been wondering what that means.... :D

I guess you don't have Parkinson's then! To be fair the Epsom salt from days back started cold feet. The libido is also annoying, like you are smelling the hormone off yourself or something.

arinryan

Ewlevy1 said:
arinryan,

If you don't mind me asking, what were your health issues that went away after 3 years? (If it's not personal of course) I wonder because I am 6 months into being a peatarian and my health issues are still not gone yet.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply... :oops:

I started being able to eat carbs without blood sugar issues, lost weight without really trying, and didn't have dark circles under my eyes. My period was closer to a normal cycle (for me, a 24 day regular cycle was good.) My skin stopped being so reaction-y (acne went somewhat away, and I wouldn't sunburn as easily). My hair got much healthier too.

Some of those things came back unfortunately... :roll:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals