Jennifer's Recovery Log

sunmountain

Congrats Jennifer!

I also had dizziness on Mino, and insomnia if I took it at bedtime. I assumed that was related to the need to eat more, thinking Mino requires extra nutrition. I didn't connect it with die-off.

I'm really happy for you!

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Blossom said:
I'm so glad to hear your appetite is back Jennifer! It's a very life confirming and healing sign to regain your lost appetite. I'm sure it will serve you well.
Thank you, Blossom! I'm definitely enjoying eating my way back to health. :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

sunmountain said:
Congrats Jennifer!

I also had dizziness on Mino, and insomnia if I took it at bedtime. I assumed that was related to the need to eat more, thinking Mino requires extra nutrition. I didn't connect it with die-off.

I'm really happy for you!
Ah, yes! I had the same experience. The Mino was dropping my sugars during the night and causing me insomnia too. I started making sure to eat as late as possible before taking the Mino and going to bed. I've been sleeping through the night ever since.

Thanks so much, sunmountain! :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow just wow. So happy for you, Jennifer! :claporange

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thank you so much, Charlie! :)

Here I am on a Ray Peat forum and can finally eat foods Ray recommends. YAY! I was starting to feel like a Ray Peat flunky. LOL

Great update Jennifer!

I'm finding it curious that I have the same symptoms of insomnia and needing to eat CONSTANTLY (feeling low blood sugar) when I was taking the standardized olive leaf extract. I also needed naps, felt flu-like and like my head wasn't attached to my body for the first few days.

I wanna try Mino! How long will you be on it Jennifer? SOOOO GLAD you're feeling better!!!

lindsay

yay!! you can eat dairy!! I think the body craves it during antibiotics because of its "good" bacteria. If I go without my cheese, I don't quite feel right. how long are you on the antibiotics for? I think I took them for two weeks after my appendix was removed - and I had another one that I can't remember.

Keep us posted!

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
Great update Jennifer!

I'm finding it curious that I have the same symptoms of insomnia and needing to eat CONSTANTLY (feeling low blood sugar) when I was taking the standardized olive leaf extract. I also needed naps, felt flu-like and like my head wasn't attached to my body for the first few days.

I wanna try Mino! How long will you be on it Jennifer? SOOOO GLAD you're feeling better!!!
Thanks, BP! :)

Hmm...so it seems the olive leaf probably works similar to the Mino. Dr. O put me on it for a month just as a starting dose and sees me in two weeks and will adjust from there. She also mentioned that if I did well on it, she would put my mom on it. Looks like my mom will be getting the Minocycline treatment too. :)

This hunger is insane, though. I can't get enough chicken, ricotta and apple juice. Did you have strong protein cravings too?

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

lindsay said:
yay!! you can eat dairy!! I think the body craves it during antibiotics because of its "good" bacteria. If I go without my cheese, I don't quite feel right. how long are you on the antibiotics for? I think I took them for two weeks after my appendix was removed - and I had another one that I can't remember.

Keep us posted!
Haha! Yeah, it's a miracle! The dairy gods took pity on me. :)

I was put on the Mino for at least a month. Gosh! My infection must have been pretty bad if I'm on it longer than you were and you had an appendectomy.

lindsay

Jennifer said:
lindsay said:

Keep us posted!
Haha! Yeah, it's a miracle! The dairy gods took pity on me. :)

I was put on the Mino for at least a month. Gosh! My infection must have been pretty bad if I'm on it longer than you were and you had an appendectomy.

I'm not quite sure how the antibiotics did for my gut bacterial issues - as I said, I felt great when I was taking them but then I had a slow return of gut and UTI issues which I still have to keep track of (but part of that could be due to thyroid and gallbladder issues, plus I had a catheter in the hospital). If I had been on them longer, it might have been better - I'm not sure what my dose was either. I would definitely keep eating good diary if you can and eat some oranges or drink OJ. For some reason, I feel this helps. The fermented dairy cravings happen for a reason, I think.

Then again, it might be that having my appendix removed was the best thing to stop the infection to begin with (requiring a shorter dose of antibiotics). BigPeatowski said she was in the hospital for quite some time and had to take antibiotics for quite some time.

Jennifer said:
This hunger is insane, though. I can't get enough chicken, ricotta and apple juice. Did you have strong protein cravings too?

Yes, exactly this. I couldn't get enough meat and OJ, it was insane. I had to eat constantly and it made it difficult to get immersed in a project (like painting) and get anything done.

lindsay

thebigpeatowski said:
Jennifer said:

Yes, exactly this. I couldn't get enough meat and OJ, it was insane. I had to eat constantly and it made it difficult to get immersed in a project (like painting) and get anything done.

Maybe I took a different antibiotic then - I had no appetite for at least a week and then after that, it still took awhile for me to venture into foods beyond cheese and fruit. I ate a lot of custard too, I remember.

No, I definitely recall Minocycline, but the other one might have been the doozy.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Phew! I'm glad to know it's not just me. My mind just feels so odd. I got worried that it was the addition of dairy causing brain fog again, but I don't have a fog today and I've had plenty of dairy.

I was worried because I actually wanted to start painting (furniture) and we just had a snowstorm and I wanted to get out and snowshoe on the trail by my house, but my head feels so out of it.

Amazoniac mentioned getting vitamin C so I'll pick up some OJ from Whole Foods since they're the only ones I've found that carry a truly ripe unpasteurized one. I've been drinking lots of apple juice and I have to say it's really hitting the spot.

tara

Fantastic news Jennifer. :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thank you, tara! :D

Hey Jennifer, I'm wondering if your doc has discussed the need for repopulating your gut flora after you finish the Minocycline. Is it possible to get a permanent colony...is it even necessary? Or will getting rid of the rogue bacteria naturally leave more room for the beneficial/desirable flora to take hold....if there IS such a thing. My understanding was that the "good guys" crowd out the "bad guys", but maybe that was just a sales pitch I read to get me to purchase probiotics? Just curious if you have had that talk with your doc yet?

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
Hey Jennifer, I'm wondering if your doc has discussed the need for repopulating your gut flora after you finish the Minocycline. Is it possible to get a permanent colony...is it even necessary? Or will getting rid of the rogue bacteria naturally leave more room for the beneficial/desirable flora to take hold....if there IS such a thing. My understanding was that the "good guys" crowd out the "bad guys", but maybe that was just a sales pitch I read to get me to purchase probiotics? Just curious if you have had that talk with your doc yet?
All great questions, BP! I wish I had definitive answers for most of them, but unfortunately I don't. :|

Dr. O said the plan was to get rid of the bad bugs with the Minocycline and then after that, she wants to work on repopulating the good bugs. Amazoniac has kindly given me lots of helpful information and I've also kept in mind what you had told me in the past about mango and artichoke.

As of right now, my digestion is doing awesome. All I'm doing is following my cravings and keeping in mind Ray's dietary advice, which just so happens to be exactly what my cravings lead me to. Dairy, meat, eggs, fruit, chocolate and I add in a daily raw carrot for good measure.

My focus has been to KISS. To "Keep It Simple Sunshine!" :)

Do you feel the probiotics benefited you and if so, were the benefits you gained lasting ones?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer, would you mind sharing your maple syrup chicken recipe?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals