Jennifer's Recovery Log

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thanks, sueq and Blossom! :)

After seeing a study that showed that goat's milk curdles much quicker and easier and the curd itself is softer than cow's milk, it finally made sense to me why it's easier to digest for those with weak digestion, like babies, the elderly and the ill.

But yes, it's definitely a good sign my tootsies are staying warm now. And this after only two days of cutting out the rest of the cow's milk and having nothing but goat's milk. It's silly how simple the solution was and how long it took to figure out. Story of our lives, huh? LOL

Blossom

Forum Supporter
At least you figured it out Jennifer! Think of all the people who suffer long-term because they do not figure these things for whatever reason. You're definitely a survivor.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
No, not really. I left Ukraine at 6. I only moved to Canada with my folks at 16.
Ah...yeah, I can see how having to get use to different diets could mess with your gut. Never mind if you were naturally a shy person, having to get use to new environments a lot would be stressful too, I would think.

Peat's_Girl said:
I don't wanna play the blame game, my mom surely did what she thought was good for me, but my mom was a vegetarian during my "formative" years, so 10-14.
My frame is quite large for my height, I think I was SUPPOSED to grow to at least 5''5, but I've stayed the exact same height since I was 14... I used to be the tallest girl in school and then I just stopped growing.
Oh wow! That's similar to me. All the time I was growing up I had really long limbs and was the second tallest girl in my class till around 12 when I stopped growing. My brother is around 6'4" and I only made it to 5'4". My height was predicted to be 5'7". I graduated from Catholic school and went to public school after that and the transition for me was hard, what with me being very shy and add to that wanting to keep my position as a flyer in cheerleading (really dumb, but it is what it is) and that's when I started restricting food. I became vegetarian and was meticulous about what I ate. I didn't eat extremely low calorie or go a day without eating, but I was very OCD with the kinds of foods I ate and ate below appetite which was definitely an energy deficit for me.

Peat's_Girl said:
Why am I telling you this? I don't know ;D
Because spilling our guts feels freeing? And slightly "why did I say that?" embarrassing at times. LOL But hey, we're keeping it real, right? :)

But yeah, my tastebuds are super sensitive too, along with my sense of smell. They were crazy heightened on 80/10/10. That's why when I notice even a hint of musk in the goat's milk, it turns my stomach a bit.

I was actually contemplating last night about going to the farm once a month and stocking up on the milk and freezing it. I can even pick up some of their whole milk to add a small amount of fat to the non-fat to help with digestability. Since goat's milk is naturally homogenized, the fat won't clump up into beads like they did with the raw cow's milk I use to freeze. I have a large freezer in the basement so I'll have plenty of room for it.

Oh, no! I know you weren't trying to imply anything. I understand where you were coming from. I know you of all people get what a nightmare it is having to avoid foods we love due to intestinal pain and are only trying to help me figure out a way to get more variety back in my diet. :)

Peat's_Girl said:
May I ask, why you choose to consume honey if it causes you hives? What about white sugar? According to Peat is the safest form of sugar for the metabolically challenged.
Because I'm a stubborn girl. I crave two things most...milk and this German honey I get. It's creamed honey that's as thick as pudding so you can eat it out of the jar with a spoon. It's divine! LOL I have a thing for anything creamy in consistency and I just want to be able to eat some of my foods and not drink all my calories, if that makes sense?

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Blossom said:
At least you figured it out Jennifer! Think of all the people who suffer long-term because they do not figure these things for whatever reason. You're definitely a survivor.
That's very true, Blossom! That's a wonderful perspective! And yes, we are all most certainly survivors and I'm hopeful we'll all become thrivers. :)

Peat's_Girl

JEN JEN JEN JEN JEN JEN!

That MoM thing... I don't understand why you can't double the recipe or multiply by 4 if you're doing 4L...
What's with the:

"To make 4 liters of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water with approximately 125 mg of
magnesium and approximately 625 mg of bicarbonate per liter and a pH of
approximately 8+ measure and transfer 1/3 liter of the concentrate (333 ml) into a 4-liter
container. Fill the container with 3 2/3 liters of plain or purified water, as desired."

What does that even mean?!

I have a 2L bottle of Canada dry and I'm not sure if I can just do 6TBSP or do something weird like that with the 4L... I know, these must retarded questions...................

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
JEN JEN JEN JEN JEN JEN!

That MoM thing... I don't understand why you can't double the recipe or multiply by 4 if you're doing 4L...
What's with the:

"To make 4 liters of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water with approximately 125 mg of
approximately 8+ measure and transfer 1/3 liter of the concentrate (333 ml) into a 4-liter
container. Fill the container with 3 2/3 liters of plain or purified water, as desired."

What does that even mean?!

I have a 2L bottle of Canada dry and I'm not sure if I can just do 6TBSP or do something weird like that with the 4L... I know, these must retarded questions...................
Whoops! Sorry, I missed that question.

Yeah, you can double the recipe. What you're doing is making your concentrate that you can then add to plain or purified water, which is what that quote above is refering to. So if you go by the quote, you're making 4L of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water from your concentrate, which in your case is the doubled recipe of 2L of Canada Dry and 6TBSP of MoM. Does that make sense?

Peat's_Girl

:( NO :(((((((((((

Do you make the concentrate, and then mix it with pure water? I don't get it.
Wouldn't it dilute the magnesium?
Say I want to get 500mg a day, and I got 2L of Canada dry... What do I do?

Am I stupid? ;D

Peat's_Girl

Can't I just take a TBSP of MoM and mix it with a cup?
Since that would give me 500mg in total. Or does it have to go through the weird mixing stages :S

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
:( NO :(((((((((((

Do you make the concentrate, and then mix it with pure water?
Yep! You got it!

Peat's_Girl said:
Wouldn't it dilute the magnesium?
Say I want to get 500mg a day, and I got 2L of Canada dry... What do I do?
Yeah, the magnesium in the concentrate will be diluted when added to the water.

A quote from the recipe:

"This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate."

You're doing double the recipe so you'll get a concentrate with approximately 3000 mg of magnesium and 15000 mg of bicarbonate.

So from the quote you referenced:

If you drink 4L of the mag. bicarb water, you'll get a total of 500 mg of magnesium.

I think the point with the mag. bicarb water is it is highly absorbable by the body and less is needed.

And no you're not stupid! If anything, I'm lousy at explaining.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
Wow. That was disgusting. I'll probably stick with the supplements ;D
The Crio Bru is sounding pretty good right about now, isn't it? LOL

I use to dissolve the magnesium bicarb concentrate in juice because I too wasn't thrilled with the taste. You could try it that way and see if you tolerate it? If not, there's always chocolate as a magnesium "supplement." ;)

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
Peat's_Girl said:
Wow. That was disgusting. I'll probably stick with the supplements ;D
The Crio Bru is sounding pretty good right about now, isn't it? LOL

I use to dissolve the magnesium bicarb concentrate in juice because I too wasn't thrilled with the taste. You could try it that way and see if you tolerate it? If not, there's always chocolate as a magnesium "supplement." ;)

Yeah, but gee, chocolate?... I mean I'm gonna have to give it some long, deep thought...

;P

Peat's_Girl

I just Crono'd it. To get a good amount, 400mg or so, you'd need to eat 2 giant bars of chocolate. The darker the better ;D

Might need to supplement anyway.

How come you stopped taking the oh so wonderfully tasting magnesium water? ;D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
I just Crono'd it. To get a good amount, 400mg or so, you'd need to eat 2 giant bars of chocolate. The darker the better ;D

Might need to supplement anyway.

How come you stopped taking the oh so wonderfully tasting magnesium water? ;D
LOL A few months back I was having at least 2 large bars of chocolate per day. I think I tried every soy free chocolate that Whole Foods and my local supermarket carry. I'm the reason we're facing a decline in the cocoa crop. The poor things just couldn't keep up. Seriously though, that's why I'm trying the Crio Bru, for a tasty concentrated magnesium source that doesn't anger my gallbladder.

I stopped the magnesium water and all other supplements except for the K2 (while on Minocycline) because I was trying to reduce the amount of variables possibly contributing to my allergic reactions and intestinal pain. Just recently, I've been testing out extracts like Pau D'Arco, one at a time, to get a good gauge on their benefits or lack there of. Other than that, I just feel more reassurance in getting my nutrients from food sources for purity concerns and my wallet. Add to that the pleasure principle. If I enjoy something, not only am I more likely to stick with it, I believe it has a positively profound effect on my overall wellbeing. Too many non-food "supplements" and I feel like a sick person. I'm sick, but I don't want my mind to think that. LOL

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thanks, Ally! :) I just posted in your log. I'm sorry you're dealing with the digestive issues and not being able to get bones to make broth. I'm hoping the Pacific brand of bone stock I linked you to will be a good substitute till you can get your hands on some bones or maybe even oxtail?

Peat's_Girl

No way I can get any bones, let alone oxtail!
But the Pacific is chicken broth which makes me think of making my one. I'll just buy a whole chicken.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

There you go, Ally! Good idea! I hope you had a better day today and your gut showed you some mercy.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

So I finally found a store that can order me the Oak Knoll dairy's non-fat goat's milk. :D After months of searching, emailing and calling stores and distributors with no luck, I was starting to resign myself to the idea that I'd have to either drink the odd tasting musky powdered milk, which by the way leaves a weird film on my teeth, spend almost 3 hours in a car to get Oak Knoll at the farm or buy a goat. Fun fact...I learned that some bucks can actually be milked. What do you think, estrogen in their drinking water or in touch with their feminine side? Either way...mind blowing!

But Monday morning I got an email from one of the distributors for Oak Knoll and they said that there is currently only one store in NH they sell it at. Coincidentally, the store is just minutes from Sunnyfield farm, the one I've gushed about before on the log. So I gave them a call and placed an order for two cases, enough to get me about 2 quarts a day. When I called to make sure the order came in before heading out there, I was told they only received one case because the distributor was out of stock. At least I'd have one case to try and when I got to the store, I spoke with an employee and set it up so that they'll order me 8 cases on a monthly basis and I can freeze it and that'll save me from having to drive there weekly.

The store itself is really nice. It's set in an old mill building so there's all this beautiful exposed brick, old hardwood flooring and lofty beams in the ceiling. It reminded me of my acupuncture sessions in the old mills of downtown Manchester. The sessions were done in a communal room with recliners all around the perimeter. The lights were always low and hardly a sound ever heard other than the occasional snoring. Once the needles were placed, it was shut eye. At least it was for everyone else. I'm too much of a daydreamer and would just gaze around the room at the old brick and stare in awe at the massively gorgeous beams above me, imagining the strength of the men who placed them or the time it took to build a city brick by brick.

So for about a week, my diet has been pretty much devoid of fat other than 1 large egg a day. I've been eating lots of honey, non-fat goat's milk, some fat-free sliced turkey breast (just to get me through till the rest of my milk comes in), scallops, fresh squeezed orange juice and filtered apple juice. The results...my mind and skin have been so clear and my temps, energy and mood up. I haven't had any gallbladder pains since my switch to the goat's milk. Yay!

Tonight's song...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals