Wow-what A Difference!

OP
C

caroline

HI. Have bunch of tests coming up. The latest is: like a dog with a bone--sorry, it's a cliche, but it fits--me being the dog--I have circled back to potatoes again.

I definitely am not in the mindset of someone who says, Oh that doesn't work for me, and then I never try it again. It is OBVIOUS when things don't work for me, but I continue to try those things that I would LIKE to be able to consume, every so often and see what happens.

So the latest is potatoes. Rice seems to work okay, but I really wanted to try potatoes again. The problem before was: joint pain, which I get from anything that doesn't work. It's not really joint pain per se--I mean it DOES bother my joints, but its sort of an immune response with inflammation. Which goes away as soon as the thing I ate passes out of my system.

Anyway, so far so good. Did not wake up with aches, but it also appears (potato in particular) as isolated weird pains in fingers, knees, etc. sometimes, so we'll see. Also, I have to do yoga yet, so when I do it, I may find the requisite potato ache in my hips. If not, yay, another food I can consume. That's it for now!

OP
C

caroline

Did super well on my exams. Almost perfect score. Clearly, consuming mainly milk, orange juice, and cheese, gelatin, sugar is not injuring my learning capabilities. I way upped my milk consumption so I get more protein. I often have like 5 or 6 shakes a day, blending OJ and milk, etc. And then in my coffees as well.

Tried rye bread (no weird gums, nasty oils or nuts in it) and made a grilled cheese and had ZERO hip pain, aches, bloating, etc. And I actually ate TWO of them. Cooked in piles of coconut oil. Also, I am definitely NOT on the low-fat plan as the cheese I eat has tons and tons of fat in it and I eat gobs of it-brie, gruyere, goat cheese, etc. etc.

Lately, I am pretty much doing orange juice/milk/sugar or honey in it, blended, coffee when I remember and am not too lazy to make it, and then cheese. I am totally over the instant coffee, but may try it again. It tastes gross to me. The beans taste so much better.

Also, loved the rye I tried. That's why the bread was exciting b/c I am completely sick of rice. It doesn't make me feel bad, but I'm tired of it. But I don't put the "fancy" cheese on the bread. Just the cheaper more melty cheese. And again, I would NEVER AGAIN get low fat cheese as I first did when I first tried cheese. NASTY. And I do NOT like the parmeggiano reg. that is recommended. It is the only cheese I have not completely consumed during which time I have probably gone through 30 different wedges of cheese. It's still sitting in the fridge. Yuck. It tastes bad. And it is not a salt issue b/c all my cheese has piles of it. It is the only cheese I got that I didn't like. And I have had stinky cheeses, brie cheese, cheddar cheese (also not a big favorite of mine), goat, sheep, gouda, fontina, swiss, etc. etc.

Also, strangely enough, despite the zillion mg of sodium I must have been getting from my cheese, and with the big increase in fluids I am now consuming (primarily liquid except for cheese and chocolate and some sort of starch--but the main things I consume are liquid)--it appears I still need some salt.

Also, I am over fruit. I hate having to peel it, pick it out, and like being able to just pour milk and orange juice in a blender (sometimes I buy other juice flavors to add to it) and drink it. I just don't generally like a lot of fuss over food unless it's really late at night and then I cook to stay awake while studying. I liked it for a bit,but just got sick of picking it out. I know this must sound SUPER lazy, but it is SO much easier to just buy orange juice.
Lst, there was a last but I can't remember--hmm, oh, still eating very little meat. My sleep habits are very strange still, but not b/c I cannot sleep. It is b/c I study very late and like to keep at it and then I like to relax sometimes by watching things on t.v. while drawing anatomy and processes from whatever I'm studyng. I find that relaxing. If I am crazed with work, I only study and don't watch anything at all.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Congratulations on your exams! I'm glad things are going well. :D

CoolTweetPete

InterrogaOmnia said:
post 34097 Bananas are pretty notorious for being upsetting and hard to digest

Sorry to resurrect a dead post, but why are bananas notoriously difficult to digest?

I ate a couple of bananas yesterday (I usually just eat one in a day) and drank some high pulp OJ. The result was a massive stomach ache, and I wasn't sure why until I read this thread. Fiber usually doesn't give me such a crazy stomach ache. It kept me up at night.

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight.

:hattip

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

caroline

Hi,
To answer the above question, I tend to ignore details about why exactly until I eat something and feel bad. I don't know why, but they make me itch, get a super coated tongue, sniff, get bloated, etc. I don't eat them b/c this result NEVER varies.

The latest is I am actually getting a grasp on what I need to do, to stay comfortable. I am doing very well with cottage cheese that is completely rinsed. I also found that potatoes, which are very convenient for me, seem to work if I eat them with minimal protein at night. I can tell b/c I ate them last night and had my best morning since, which for me, means no or very little joint pain. This is always the key for me. If I get it, I've done something wrong. Parmesan cheeses seem to be working great. I also got disgusted with getting store OJ since it tastes bad. It was more convenient than going to Trader Joe's but I got their fresh squeezed yesterday and this tastes much better. I don't want nasty enzyme packets in my juice. If it tasted delicious, which it does NOT, I probably wouldn't mind.
Am eating virtually no meat. Eggs still seem to have a VERY bad effect, similar to wheat, or bananas. I am hoping this will change. I got the fancy pastured ones but still wake up with joint pain. Doesn't matter whether I eat just a raw yolk, fry it, etc. Protein type seems to be the issue for me. I did ask around about what juicers people were using for potatoes, but no one responded. I got annoyed and decided I would just try to eat potatoes again b/c I do not want to spend that much effort peeling, juicing, etc. Also, I have been boiling kale for 3 minutes as Ray suggests, and drinking the juice. Last, I just tried mushrooms as he mentioned this. I don't see the point of having carotene in carrots and this does not make me feel good when I eaat it. I also tried bamboo shoots but am skeptical that it is not poisoned since I have no idea about how these things are being packaged, etc. as they all come from China. I do not prefer to get foods that have traveled that far. Anyway, last night I had mostly potato, with gobs of coconut oil and salt, and I slept great and have no pain. This is great b/c I have been concerned about protein. Also, I eat a lot of gelatin and make it into oj/honey/lime/salt squares and also put it in my coffee. Coffee works great for me. And I now do 2% since skim tastes vile to me and has less protein.

EIRE24

caroline said:
post 111095 Hi,
To answer the above question, I tend to ignore details about why exactly until I eat something and feel bad. I don't know why, but they make me itch, get a super coated tongue, sniff, get bloated, etc. I don't eat them b/c this result NEVER varies.

The latest is I am actually getting a grasp on what I need to do, to stay comfortable. I am doing very well with cottage cheese that is completely rinsed. I also found that potatoes, which are very convenient for me, seem to work if I eat them with minimal protein at night. I can tell b/c I ate them last night and had my best morning since, which for me, means no or very little joint pain. This is always the key for me. If I get it, I've done something wrong. Parmesan cheeses seem to be working great. I also got disgusted with getting store OJ since it tastes bad. It was more convenient than going to Trader Joe's but I got their fresh squeezed yesterday and this tastes much better. I don't want nasty enzyme packets in my juice. If it tasted delicious, which it does NOT, I probably wouldn't mind.
Am eating virtually no meat. Eggs still seem to have a VERY bad effect, similar to wheat, or bananas. I am hoping this will change. I got the fancy pastured ones but still wake up with joint pain. Doesn't matter whether I eat just a raw yolk, fry it, etc. Protein type seems to be the issue for me. I did ask around about what juicers people were using for potatoes, but no one responded. I got annoyed and decided I would just try to eat potatoes again b/c I do not want to spend that much effort peeling, juicing, etc. Also, I have been boiling kale for 3 minutes as Ray suggests, and drinking the juice. Last, I just tried mushrooms as he mentioned this. I don't see the point of having carotene in carrots and this does not make me feel good when I eaat it. I also tried bamboo shoots but am skeptical that it is not poisoned since I have no idea about how these things are being packaged, etc. as they all come from China. I do not prefer to get foods that have traveled that far. Anyway, last night I had mostly potato, with gobs of coconut oil and salt, and I slept great and have no pain. This is great b/c I have been concerned about protein. Also, I eat a lot of gelatin and make it into oj/honey/lime/salt squares and also put it in my coffee. Coffee works great for me. And I now do 2% since skim tastes vile to me and has less protein.

Caroline, did your skin problems improve? If so, how did you go about improving it?

tara

Nice to get an update.

caroline said:
post 111095 I don't see the point of having carotene in carrots and this does not make me feel good when I eaat it.
I have to rinse my grated carrot till the water is almost clear to be able to keep on eating it. I assume I wash away a lot of the carotene, and keep the useful fibre.

Glad the spuds are treating you well. :)

OP
C

caroline

Hm. EIRE24: Can't figure out how to reply to a person directly. No, the milk possibly seems to make me flakier than ever. I am like a lizard. They definitely have NOT improved on Peat. They are about the same, if not worse. But digestion seems very good. Also, I saw really nice duck eggs and read that they are considered more of an "animal" than chickens, etc., by someone on the site. Didn't bother to look up why, but I am going to try those and see if I can tolerate them.

Tara, maybe that would help. I think the mushrooms aren't good for me either. I got a runny nose. Also tried onions, boiled them, crystallized them etc., but those really don't not work either. I will try carrots some more. The problem is that it's a hassle to use the peeler. Takes too much work.
Potatoes seem to be okay for me to eat, but I am not going to do those every day. I still do best without the starch.

Also I made gelatin recipes last night: chocolate chips, milk, gelatin blended together in my frother thingey that I use for heating milk. I actually hate the frother and just use the warmer b/c the frother seems like a waste of milk to me, and I don't like all that foamey stuff. Recipes:

chocolate chips, milk, gelatin, salt, two shots of espresso
then also: milk, gelatin, condensed milk, cinnamon, vanilla (yes, I know it's carcinogenic even Ceylon, in large amounts. I used a little.)

I am greatly enjoying my fresh squeezed OJ from TJ's. I decided not to bother with trying to strain out pulp. It doesn't seem to bother me and seems like a waste of money. I can drink endless amounts of orange juice without any issues.

And I noticed the vinegar does seem to remove starch from potatoes when I use it in boiling. I stopped removing skin b/c again, I don't want to lose nutrients. I take it off when they're done. Also, it's a lazy factor for me. I then broiled the potatoes in tons of coconut oil and noticed it took forever for them to crisp. I am using redskin ones which are way less starchy but seem to be much better for me than the white russet ones that are recommended.

Integral

I had an hour long chat with the practitioner I was working with about how I felt there's been a quantum leap in my brain function since Peating. My mind is now so focused and clear, it's able to grasp difficult concepts and make connections. It feels bloody awesome. I remember struggling during the first two years of Uni because of poor brain function. Massive relief to have it sorted.

tara

caroline said:
post 111427 . I will try carrots some more. The problem is that it's a hassle to use the peeler. Takes too much work.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I got out of the habit for a few months, but I'm happy to have picked it up again the last while, at least most days. Nowadays I grate enough for 3 or 4 days at a time, rinse well, and store in the fridge. Then mix in other stuff when I want to eat a portion. Gets me over the reluctance to grate more easily. Last time I had to make do with whole carrots I couldn't stand te taste by day 3.

OP
C

caroline

Good idea, Tara. Thanks! I also copied off your previous mention of rinsing. Finally remembered to do that yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions. I started on greek yogurt. I do get a tiny sniffy. This is way easier for me to reach my protein amount. Also, I hit well over 100 grams the other day and that was way too much. I felt bloated and not good. So yesterday I was closer to 80. Much better. Just goes to show that some broad statement like, you need 100 grams, does not mean it works. I can tell because I feel better with less. I think the yogurt is easier to digest than the cottage cheese. Also, early in the morning and afternoon it seems I can eat much more protein more easily. Got parmesano etc. at Trader Joe's and I don't think it's nice quality. I'm going to stick to the local store. They have animal rennet in what I got but also cheese cultures. I am unimpressed with their cheese quality. Everything tastes stale to me. I also tried two caffeine pills this morning (400 mg to try and hit 1200) instead of coffee b/c I was full from the yogurt. I didn't bother to add sugar to it b/c I was too lazy. I had orange juice.

It appears I have no problem eating potatoes. Yay! And this is with them swimming in coconut oil to the point that it is overkill. I boil and add vinegar to the water and salt. It does appear to reduce starch b/c ever since I started doing this, I can put the potatoes on broil after, with gobs and gobs of coconut oil and it will not burn or turn brown. I have been using red potatoes and also yukon. I know Peat recommends russet, although I am not sure why, but so far, I like the others. No aches whatsoever, which is a miracle. Eggs are definitely out. I had ice cream earlier in the week. Very good brand with no junk in it, and I had inflammation and aches the next day. This diet is working great for me. The key is that I don't do well with meat at all, and the most obvious signal is that my breath was TERRIBLE eating meat, whether low fat or high fat, and it is very nice quality, so that's not the issue. Cut out all meat and voila, problem gone. Also, no bubbles in pee. Which to me, means I am actually digesting protein. Also, I am BROILING after eating the greek yogurt. I wish I could dump water over it to rid the lactic acid some more, but I guess it's not like cottage cheese. The cottage cheese is a pain. I hate having to rinse it. Greek yogurt has 22 grams for 1/2 cup. Much easier to deal with. Also, I do gelatin as well. And, last night I did an experiment after reading something else my guru Haidut (kidding, sort of, but that's whose info. I look at) said about caffeine promoting liver function. I had coffee at night, but had twice the amount I would normally have. I do cold press, but make my own. Not very grain-less b/c I just use a fine sieve and again, am too lazy to be bothered with cheesecloth. I don't want to put that much effort into eating. Anyway, I did not wake up and felt more "drained" when I peed, if that makes sense, in the morning. I am going to start doing coffee at night, but a larger dose, which makes me sleepy.

OP
C

caroline

Oh, and I am finally interested in exercising for the first time in like 8 months. Well, exercising for me, which is rolling around on the floor with these intense rollers with pokey things coming out of them, which I like. I do a little movement where I resist my own body. I do not hang there limply like a noodle and overstretch already long tendons and create more of an imbalance. I find that to be a nonsensical way to exercise. I still have no interest in huffing and puffing to exercise. Can't think of anything more unpleasant and I used to be a chronic and obsessive exerciser for years. No interest in this whatsoever. OH, and my appetite is very balanced. I do, however, need to eat various points in the day and do not wait until I am hungry. When I did no carb, I was always STARVING. Never full. Ever. Now, I never feel that way. Also, I do not binge on chocolate or sweets. Again, I remember with the no carb thing, the obsessive and strange "sugar is evil" commentary by no carbers and how people would remark that it was some sort of trauma if heavens forbid, they ingested sugar because they would eat it non-stop. Hmmm, maybe you want it because you need it? Anyway, just goes to show that this way of eating must be doing something. I don't even think about it now, but if you asked me years ago if I could have sugarey items in the house, c hocolate, etc., without binging on all of them, I would have said, "No way." Not the case now. So anyway, it is going well. Still doing niacinamide regularly. Haidut mentioned theanine, but I sort of cant remember why. I did try it once and it felt like I couldn't breathe. I looked this up and some people have this response. So I'm not particularly eager to try again but I may look and see about that. Also, doing aspirin. And liquid kale water boiled today for 3 minutes.

OP
C

caroline

Integral said:
post 111443 I had an hour long chat with the practitioner I was working with about how I felt there's been a quantum leap in my brain function since Peating. My mind is now so focused and clear, it's able to grasp difficult concepts and make connections. It feels bloody awesome. I remember struggling during the first two years of Uni because of poor brain function. Massive relief to have it sorted.
That's great. I notice this, too. Actually, what I noticed was that since I have been in the process of applying to schools and was stressed, I was self-medicating with wheat. Bloated, puffy, and dulled, though more calm, which tends to be an issue for me. Stopped wheat and blammo--my statements became infinitely better. Today, I am noticing a huge brain jump with my 400 mg of caffeine. They are the pills b/c I was full from that yogurt this morning. I don't particularly care for it, but wanted to "get my protein in" so then I was too full for coffee. I will see how the upping of caffeine goes. I agree with you. I am always happy to see my brain function improved. I definitely was WAY DUMBER for lack of better words, on wheat. Only noticed when I came off it.

OP
C

caroline

Fage yogurt works much better than what I got at Trader Joe's. No sniffing, no gas, no stomach upset. Much MUCH less sour. I only realized this after getting it at my grocery store and comparing and then reading how sour thing is related to lactic acid. Again, I am interested in details like this only when I notice I have more or less discomfort. Also, did caffeine at night again to see how it helps me. Seems good so far. Doing the 1200 mg now. Two pills, and aeropress. I don't want to have to drink piles of it. Also, I only do Aeropress. I hate coffee. Like shots with milk. And I am exclusively using condensed milk as my sweetener. Think I have the formula down now. No gross tongue stuff, no aches. I had potato with coconut oil and the very sweet coffee last night. Just have to get some liver. Not clear on whether boiling kale works. And I saw 3 minutes recommended by Peat, which is doable. Seems easier to just do 3-6 ounces of liver once a week or so. Since I am doing aspirin. 1 mg a day. I also had yogurt at night. I like it WAY better than cottage cheese. I don't like cottage cheese. And I made the farmer's cheese but why bother when I have to go through all that milk to make a little bit. Seems expensive and like a hassle. Also doing LOTS of cheese. All hard cheese. Seems to be the key. I think the one I got at TJ's is fine. It was the Greek Yogurt I got there that was a problem. Still, I like the nicer, more fresh one with only animal rennet that I can get at my local store, better. It isn't stale. All of this, is pretty much because I just copied off of Haidut. I wanted the most protein for the least amount of effort. However, unfortunately I am still not able to do meat and eggs. I am going to try hen eggs soon from my local store and see if I can do that. Will just add that and I will know if it works or not because I get horrible joint pain from eggs each time regardless of raw, egg yolk only, etc. But I will see if I can do it now that I can do potatoes without pain.

OP
C

caroline

Experiments: Caffeine pills in the a.m. plus niacinamide and aspirin have the equivalent effect of putting me into a coma. However, a caffeine pill last night plus niacinamide and aspirin last night---I slept all the way through the night.

Areas I am not convinced about despite recommendations:
1. Protein. More as in trying to get 100 grams or close to this, does not make me feel better, energized, or good. I feel worse. I am going back to doing the amount I feel like. I have not seen Peat recommendations anywhere to do like 40 or 50, or 60, but this seems to be better for me. I can tell when I feel worse or better, and jamming that much protein in, makes me feel worse. Cheese is the easiest way for me to get more, but I can only eat so much salty cheese and I am not going to act in eating-disordered manner, and force myself to eat more to meet some magical protein number.
2. Yogurt. Jury still out on whether this is fine. Milk seems to be easy for me to drink in endless amounts with no problems. At worse, when I get "nicer" (Strauss) milk, I get more gas. Not so with Trader Joe's milk.
3. Hard cheese. Can eat lots of this with little issue. Fatty or softer cheese seems to be problematic, as in it makes me feel constipated and get weird breath.
4. Coffee. I do aeropress. No problem with coffee. Caffeine pills are a different story.

Today I had two caffeine pills, but had way more sugary milk volume with cocoa. I feel much better. I did not have any niacinamide or aspirin.

5. Potatoes. Seem to be okay. If boiled, etc.
6. Orange juice and fruit. No problem eating this. Just a hassle, because Trader Joe's is the only place I can get normal, non-flavor packet orange juice.

I can tell when I feel better because I can read all sorts of complicated, typically boring (for most people) things, have lots of energy to support my creativity and ideas. And I feel like exercising. I like the caffeine pills because they seem to do detoxing. I had breath problems prior to reducing meat protein. Reducing and eating mostly milk, cheese, and non-meat source protein, seemed to have fixed it. I did have maybe 5 ounces of meat last night and woke up with no weird breath, so this was great. It is high quality, grass-fed meat. Gelatin is a staple in general for me.

OP
C

caroline

Latest:
Doing all whole milk. And in glass bottles. I like it better. No additives. Doing goat milk and whole milk. And raw milk as well.
Also I am going to Whole Foods now instead of Trader Joe's. I've had it with their orange juice spoiling. I got the organic with no pulp and it tastes fine.
I also discovered that potentially, stimulants have a very opposite effect on me. I do not think it is this "adrenals" business. I don't feel tired without caffeine. I tried just pills at night and slept fabulously. I won't do quite as much as I did (800mg just for fun to see what would happen), but I think I'm going to stick to tiny tiny bits of caffeine with my milk if I do them at all during the day.

Eating piles of cheese. Cannot bear to look at Parmesano Reggiano even if it's the most expensive stuff. Tired of it. I am liking mushier goat and sheep and buffalo cheeses. Still not convinced that meat works that great for me. I did try wheat again but took a lot of magnesium supplements. Don't have pain today. However, I made these biscuits myself with butter, baking soda, salt, sugar, milk, and no eggs. Then I dump maple syrup on them and butter and eat this before bed. Potatoes I am still not sure about. Also, it's annoying to me because they take too much time.

I feel like whole milk leads to best digestion for me. Also I am full for very very long periods of time doing a lot more fat. It feels better. I don't like having to eat so often. It feels better to eat a lot more fat. Also boiling kale and drinking that for magnesium, doing aspirin, and niacinamide. And I got Martinelli's clear apple juice instead of the cider b/c while I love it, it gives me gas and I know it's not as optimal. That's it for now. Energy seems to be really good drinking piles of milk and eating lots of cheese. Also, thanks to people on here, I found milk chocolate at Whole Foods really cheap without nasty soy lecithin. I really dislike dark chocolate now so it was nice to find the millk, which seems to be harder to find without lecithin.

I am not a weight-gaining prone person, so perhaps I'm not a good example, but it appears to make me skinnier to be drinking more whole milk products. I stopped with the yogurt. Even though it was greek, I still got stomach aches a bit, and also, felt exhausted after I ate it. I notice no such thing with milk, but I've gotten very picky about the taste. That's it for me. I haven't met a nice milk I didn't like. Raw, goat, whole--all taste good to me as long as they taste more rich and not like nothing as the others did that I was getting. It is a little more expensive, but I don't care. It tastes way better, and is more satisfying and I drink less of it because it is so satiating.

OP
C

caroline

I am slowly moving toward all my eating goals. In each case, I progressed with troublesome foods (give me joint pain) by starting with what appeared to be the most digestible form and then increased the complexity (what typically gives me more issues).

Yogurt. Could not do to begin with. Then greek whole yogurt was sort of (still had gas) okay. Moved from whole milk to low fat and now to non-fat. Most protein. I do NOT restrict fat. I had stopped eating coconut oil and notice substantially increased sense of well-being and cognitive alertness with coconut oil added back in so I make a point to do this. I add it but want the most protein out of my dairy products. All these things I was not doing caused me digestive upset, joint pain, and fatigue to begin with. Not any more.

Milk. Whole milk. No problem. Now down to 2%. No point going lower because the ones I buy do not have greater protein content with skim milk. I stopped bothering with the fancy milk because it spoils more quickly. I am getting organic because I do NOT want to have giant breasts, but I just don't care at this time if they add vitamin A and D to it.

Eggs. Started with just raw yolks. Only pastured, grass-fed, etc., which is very easy to find and not really very expensive with all the choices in this very expensive city with choosy shoppers. Then progressed to whole raw egg. Now hard boiled which I like the best. I don't like fried eggs; I like plain hard-boiled. No problems with this. Do at least two each day.

Protein. Upped so it is at minimum 100, and often well over 100.

Still working on: Getting sugar ratio (carbs) greater than protein by 3:1. Not really there yet. However, my new discovery of white sweet potato will be helpful.

Wheat: Massively raises my "stupid-meter." Makes me feel sort of dulled into calm but my brain shuts off. I forget words and am muted. It is not optimal for me. Rice makes me ache. Corn makes me ache. Regardless of the Peat hierarchy, these foods all make me feel rotten. It is always obvious for me because I get aches. And no, I am not implying that Peat thinks starch is really wonderful, in general. I just meant that the preferred starches do not work for me. Bully for everyone else if they work for them. I am aware that "no starches" is/can be "easiest" for digestion. But hell if I am going to drink liquids all day every day. Seems eating-disordered to me. I prefer liquids, but I like a little solid, too. Tried kale really well cooked in coconut oil. Was sort of okay.

Aspirin: Taking. Love it. Too lazy to dissolve it now. Making plenty of boiled kale juice to counteract.

Potatoes: No visible improvement whatsoever, no matter how long they are boiled, then cooked in coconut oil, eaten plain, etc. I also hate the taste. No matter what I do, I have terrible joint pain the next day. Enter THE JAPANESE WHITE SWEET POTATO. Tried this last night. Did not bother with that whole irritating 40 minute boiling thing. Long and boring to do and hate the way the potato tastes. I peeled it into peeler slices so they are very skinny. Baked it on super high. I actually enjoy it even plain. Added a little coconut oil. A little Kerrygold. And salt. Came out like chips. I had no pain this morning. I slept great. And they warmed me. And I like them. I will need to keep trying to see if this is a fluke or I can eat them. But no pain is a good sign.

Very little meat. Seafood primarily. Do not like fish. Again, a pain to make. I like shrimp, oysters, and scallops. That's pretty much it.

Cheese: Not sold on this. Expensive (at least, with my taste), and I feel, a bit constipating.

Gelatin: Will do 30 grams at once sometimes, to up my protein when I am not eating some sort of oysters, scallops, a bit of my husband's ground grass-fed beef. I do gelatin throughout the day.

Sugar: Orange juice no pulp. Without enzymes or flavor packets (gross). Maple syrup in coffee.
Milk chocolate from whole foods without soy lecithin (gross). Also rediscovered coconut water. Love it. Feel great from it. Was doing what I call "crack"le juice (i.e. fermented apple juice). I know this stuff is not optimal. Have to not buy it anymore. Coconut water is a slightly distant second but will do.

Plotting food: I started doing this because I wanted to make sure I got more protein. This coincided with my feeling better, wanting to exercise for the first time in like 5 years and also it teaching me what it means to eat at least 100 grams of protein. I upped the caloric ratios to like 6500 because it irritates me every time it thinks I want some 1600 calorie diet. So I ignore those stupid warnings that expect I will gain 800 pounds in a month because of the way I am eating and strictly use it to make sure I have minimum amount of protein I want and optimally more carbs. I am a bit anal, more than I realized, so I love plugging things in and seeing what they amount to. Do the same with a meditation app. I like seeing my consistency. It makes me happy. Plus, I see that I am meditating with thousands of people all over the world at the same time which also makes me happy. I just checked how much fat it says I am consuming. Honestly, I sometimes don't track once I see I've hit my protein but fat is well over 100 the past few days. Sometimes much more.

Last: Breasts became ENORMOUS, which while my husband really liked, I do not. I don't like that; it makes me feel self-conscious and it is uncomfortable. I suspected FAGE and looked up and lo and behold it has GMO. I switched over to organic, which is not really more expensive, and is actually cheaper at Whole Foods and breast swelling is gone! No more GMO yogurt for me.

FAT: Many tablespoons of coconut oil

PROTEIN: Seems easiest to pack it in early. And the 30 grams thing doesn't seem to really matter for me. What I mean is that I saw on the forum how people mentioned about that amount (30) was the comfortable limit one might absorb. But as I got more used to protein and wanted more, I went with what I wanted, which is more protein in the morning. So if I have 40 grams at once and feel fine, it seems to be fine for me. I do over that in the morning and feel just fine.

Protein amounts vary with my taste. For example, on one day I did 230 grams of protein. Yesterday, 130. It's not very hard. What I do notice is that as much protein earlier in the day is much better for me. Sugary at night optimal rather than protein for me. A little yogurt seems to be fine. Also I have been making this "dish" with cubed cucumber (I remove all seeds) in the yogurt, added balsamic vinegar (lemon tasted bad and so did rice vinegar) and salt. I love it. Also, I am experimenting with actively trying to eat more carbs and see how this changes my satiety. I can't be certain but it seemed I was much more satiated being close to 100 grams of protein yesterday but with the sweet potato and fat at night.

I can sit with my legs folded behind me and the dorsal (top) part of my feet folded completely under my legs now. I could never do this before without getting hideous cramps. That says something for this "diet."

OP
C

caroline

Also, tellingly:
EXERCISE: This is the first time in years that I actually WANT to exercise. I started doing my Ashtanga yoga practice, which is fairly vigorous, because I have been in the mood since I upped my protein. That is definitely new. I never bothered to exercise anymore, because I didn't feel like it. I like this practice because I meditate while doing it since it is led by the breath.

OP
C

caroline

p.s. Ha. Not exactly high on brevity.

The reason why I "switched" to greek yogurt is based on Haidut's comment regarding more protein with less liquid. It is much easier for me to hit my minimum 100 grams with greek yogurt since it has more protein. Then I just make milk with my chocolatey coffee but don't force myself to drink more than I want. I rarely, if ever, drink water. This way of eating is great for me because I have never been one of those people who liked drinking water and am rarely thirsty.

haidut

Forum Supporter
caroline said:
post 119247 p.s. Ha. Not exactly high on brevity.

The reason why I "switched" to greek yogurt is based on Haidut's comment regarding more protein with less liquid. It is much easier for me to hit my minimum 100 grams with greek yogurt since it has more protein. Then I just make milk with my chocolatey coffee but don't force myself to drink more than I want. I rarely, if ever, drink water. This way of eating is great for me because I have never been one of those people who liked drinking water and am rarely thirsty.

Another benefit of Greek yogurt is that it is almost entirely casein, which has anti-stress effects. This is unlike the acidic whey, which Peat has spoken several times against.

Last edited: