unexpected but positive

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My purpose in starting a Peat inspired approach was to feel better physically when conventional and alternative medicine had failed. To my surprise after 20 weeks there has been other remarkable changes occur that I would like to share in case it inspires anyone out there who may be having doubts or going through a rough spot. Here is my list of positive changes: 1. Impoved hair growth and texture 2. Improved skin tone, texture and firmness 3.Improved nail hardness and growth 4. Improved strength of teeth 5.Improved mood and mental functioning 6. Impoved body composition 7. Increased breast size by one cup and firmness( sorry if anyone is offended) 8. Warm 95% of the time. I was so foused on gut issues and other physical problems in the begining that I didn't even consider that healing at the cellular level would result in so many positive changes! I think it just took a little time for the change in energy to reflect in a change in structure. Many women my age are declining and accepting that as just an expected part of life. I am so grateful to have found this approach. This is aging gracefully at its finest (or not aging). Some days I realize I haven't felt this good since my twenties.

4peatssake

Blossom said:
My purpose in starting a Peat inspired approach was to feel better physically when conventional and alternative medicine had failed. To my surprise after 20 weeks there has been other remarkable changes occur that I would like to share in case it inspires anyone out there who may be having doubts or going through a rough spot. Here is my list of positive changes: 1. Impoved hair growth and texture 2. Improved skin tone, texture and firmness 3.Improved nail hardness and growth 4. Improved strength of teeth 5.Improved mood and mental functioning 6. Impoved body composition 7. Increased breast size by one cup and firmness( sorry if anyone is offended) 8. Warm 95% of the time. I was so foused on gut issues and other physical problems in the begining that I didn't even consider that healing at the cellular level would result in so many positive changes! I think it just took a little time for the change in energy to reflect in a change in structure. Many women my age are declining and accepting that as just an expected part of life. I am so grateful to have found this approach. This is aging gracefully at its finest (or not aging). Some days I realize I haven't felt this good since my twenties.
Thank you Blossum. Your story is wonderful and inspiring.

Can you share with us the specific changes you made and how they affected you?
You mentioned focusing on gut issues. Has this improved as well and what foods, supplements or changes were most effective for you?

It is wonderful when people share what has worked for them and what has not.

I love especially your comment about aging women and not simply taking it lying down but participating fully in the process and doing it gracefully.

Kudos to you!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Last summer I started having some disturbing symptoms that seemed similar to a family member with MS. I had been doing a paleo type eating style recommended by a functional medicine practitioner for a little over 1 year at the time. Many won't be shocked to hear that a couple months into paleo I began to decline. Paleo seemed to cure my chronic fatigue syndrome that I supposedly had since '99 but the GI symptoms that I developed were off the charts. I read some Matt Stone and started researching furthur and found Peat's articles. The day I started reading his articles I understood finally what was happening in my body. I read everything on the internet I could find and implemented changes as best I could figure out. I wanted to speak with Peat but that was about the time he took his contact info off his web site so I scheduled a consultation with Benedicte MaiLerche PhD( whom I like very much) from his links page. I was very pleased to learn from her that I had indeed figured it out and what I was doing was right in line with repairing cellular metabolism. I come from a science/medical background so that may have helped me have a foundation for understanding, or maybe not. I do the following: OJ, milk(which took a bit to tolerate), cooked fruit like applesauce, gelatin, coffee, sugar and some pure fructose, liver, shrimp, honey, beef(with gelatin and coffee), some starch occasionally like masa or rice, dark chocolate and cheese. Supplements: progest-e(helpful for coming off bio-identical estrdiol), asprin, vitamin k, vitamin d, pregnenalone, niacinamide(stoped about 1 month ago but was helpful in the begining), cynoplus and cyproheptadine. I started the progest-e at about 2 weeks in, the cynoplus at the end of november and cyproheptadine 12/20/13. I've found the cyproheptadine probably the most helpful due to known high levels of seretonin in my gut from blood previous blood work. After I started the cypoheptadine I forgot all about the activated charcoal that I used to value so much! I even posted once that I would love to take it every day.I value all of the changes though because I believe they have had a synergistic effect. I work with the elderly and see first hand the degeneration process on a daily basis. My own mother who is disabled has been given 5 years to live at age 64. I desire a different outcome for myself and from my experience so far I believe I will have one. I really was impressed from the start but to see continued improvement and in areas I didn't expect is really the greatest gift in life- to be able to live life fully with health and increased beauty as a bonus. I don't mean to sound corney but I'm really passionate about this. If anyone ever talks to Ray please tell him thanks! I feel like his work saved my life or atleast gave me one worth living.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I realized I forgot some important things: cascara, red light, carrot salad, coconut oil and butter! They are all as important to me as those items listed above.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Eggs and bag breathing! I'm pretty sure that covers it.

SQu

Thanks for sharing and inspiring those of us who are going through a rough patch! It's wonderful when your efforts to find the truth and dig deeper are rewarded. I'm wondering why you stopped the niacinamide?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
After I started the cyproheptadine I started feeling so good that I kind of forgot about taking it. One day I remembered and I took one and felt cold, clammy and shaky. I'm open to taking it again but I think I will try to get the powder. The capsules I have are 500mg pure encapsulations brand but they include 50mg of alpha lipoic acid. They worked for me at one point but now I think it would be better to try the powder. I'm not sure what that reaction was about honestly so I just stopped taking it until I can obtain a better source and will probably try it again. If you or anyone knows if this is a good supplement to take indefinately I would love to know. I was under the impression that some of the supplements could be discontinued as health improved. I'm still learning as I go but thrilled to feel so good that I actually forget about some things and still see positive changes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
After I started the cyproheptadine I started feeling so good that I kind of forgot about taking it. One day I remembered and I took one and felt cold, clammy and shaky. I'm open to taking it again but I think I will try to get the powder. The capsules I have are 500mg pure encapsulations brand but they include 50mg of alpha lipoic acid.
500 mgs of Cyproheptadine?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@Blossom, This is really awesome! Thank you for sharing. :partydance

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Clarification: niacinamide I used was 500mg and cyproheptatine is 4mg, sorry for the confusion!

aquaman

Blossom said:
After I started the cyproheptadine I started feeling so good that I kind of forgot about taking it. One day I remembered and I took one and felt cold, clammy and shaky. I'm open to taking it again but I think I will try to get the powder. The capsules I have are 500mg pure encapsulations brand but they include 50mg of alpha lipoic acid. They worked for me at one point but now I think it would be better to try the powder. I'm not sure what that reaction was about honestly so I just stopped taking it until I can obtain a better source and will probably try it again. If you or anyone knows if this is a good supplement to take indefinately I would love to know. I was under the impression that some of the supplements could be discontinued as health improved. I'm still learning as I go but thrilled to feel so good that I actually forget about some things and still see positive changes.

So this post is about Niacinimide not C'tadine?

Thanks, really useful thread!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This week is my 6 months of peating anniversary and 3 people have told me I look like I'm in my 30's! I'm actually 44.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Today I got carded, no seriously carded for nicotine patches. So I gave her my I.d. which she examined thoughtfully looked at me and looked at the I.d. again. I asked her if she really thought I was too young to buy nicotine patches and she said if you don't look 27 we have to card you. I don't think she really believed it was my I.d. That was interesting! Although I do feel I look better these days 27 is a stretch. Maybe she needed glasses. Who doesn't love being carded over 40 though?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Today I gave blood for the third time since starting this approach. All went well until I sat in the chair and the phlebotomist thought my veins might be too small. It was looking like I might not be able to donate when after some manipulation he got the vein expanded enough to stick. I always had that problem when I was younger and the medical workers would have to use the veins in my hands. As I donated I thought back to the bulging vein post and how far it seems I have come. I think my veins are returning to a more healthy non bulging state and that is positive and unexpected! I originally posted this under the topic about lowering iron without donating blood but decided it would fit better here.

paper_clips43

Blossom said:
Today I gave blood for the third time since starting this approach. All went well until I sat in the chair and the phlebotomist thought my veins might be too small. It was looking like I might not be able to donate when after some manipulation he got the vein expanded enough to stick. I always had that problem when I was younger and the medical workers would have to use the veins in my hands. As I donated I thought back to the bulging vein post and how far it seems I have come. I think my veins are returning to a more healthy non bulging state and that is positive and unexpected! I originally posted this under the topic about lowering iron without donating blood but decided it would fit better here.

Thats awesome Blossom! I am happy that your veins have returned to more healthy state. What do you think are some important factors in getting them healthier?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Everything is synergistic to me but if I had to narrow it down I would choose diamox and Progest-e and not necessarily in that order. Those are the two that I've seen a visible difference with. I believe it was mittir that posted about that progesterone:estrogen ratio and then I read exactly what he was talking about in From PMS to Menopause. Now I use the veins in my hands as a guide among other things as to how my progesterone status is doing. When I added in diamox I noticed an immediate improvement but since CO2 is so important that really should not have surprised me. I still get surprised often to see things moving in a positive direction rather than the declining one I was so used to. We all experience that some days are better than others but any minor set backs are easily corrected for me on this approach. Here is an inspirational quote from Peat that I know is true from experience:"Regeneration seems to be the capacity of every tissue, given the right environment" From PMS to Menopause page 29

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just wanted to add that I don't think everyone needs diamox. I chose to use it because I work in a very oxygen rich environment. In my 'office' there is on average 1000 pounds of pure liquid oxygen that slowly evaporates into the surrounding air. Most of the people I work with are also receiving oxygen so in my case I felt it was important to balance that with abundant CO2. I will be happy to no longer take it when my work environment changes. Generally I'm sure buteyko and bag breathing are sufficient.

narouz

I was listening to an interview with Peat about a month ago,
must've been the KMUD "Altitude" one.

In it, Peat mentioned acetazolamide (Diamox)
as something he had recommended to friends who ski at Vale,
for altitude sickness.
He said it allows the body to hang on to more carbon dioxide, I believe.

That was as far as he went, about the drug.
I was wondering why he didn't go on and recommend it for general CO2 retention
(not just altitude related).
So it left me curious.

How did you get wind of Diamox--was it also from the same interview?
How do you use it, dosage-wise,
and what effects do you notice?

I believe you said you had positive benefits from lisuride.
You're saying Diamox (and Progest-E) had more impact?
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

aquaman

narouz said:
In it, Peat mentioned acetazolamide (Diamox)
as something he had recommended to friends who ski at Vale,
for altitude sickness.
He said it allows the body to hang on to more carbon dioxide, I believe.

I actually wrote this down word-for-word what the Doc' said, since I have assumed for a while I have sleep Apnea:

"Q: When we breathe through mouth rather than nose at night, this can get rid of too much CO2 and this is a problem?

Ray Peat said:
yes the medical analysis is that people don’t breathe enough at night, but when you look at the blood chemistry the usual thing is that they hyperventilate during the night, because as their blood sugar is pushed down to sleep, their adrenaline comes up periodically and this makes them have in effect higher estrogen, higher inflammatory hormones which drives hyperventilation and blows off too much Carbon Dioxide. Then they don’t breathe for a while so they wake up feeling like they have died or have not been breating enough . The best chemical for this is Diamox (Acetazolamide ) that causes the body to retain more carbon dioxide, it prevents the body from losing too much carbon dioxide which keeps it in the blood.

It’s well established as a cure for sleep Apnea, also used by skiers to prevent altitude sickness, because altitude sickness is a lack of CO2 not oxygen.

Q: is it more of a treatment than cure?

Ray Peat said:
Sometimes 2-3 days of a thyroid supplement is all a person needs, and their own gland will take over. Same with sleep apnea, sometimes they can get out of the stress, and reset. Usually though you have to work on finding why the hormones are going bad, especially at night, and get your blood sugar stabilized, get a good diet of enough protein and fruit and supplement the Thyroid as long as it’s needed.