Peat Girl's Logger

Peat's_Girl

I already detailed my sob story here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4666

My version of Peat will probably be very different. I'm trying to get away from obsessive eating (or undereating) and for the most part I eat fairly clean. (That said I log consistently to make sure I get enough nutrition.)
I intend on incorporating some of the Peat principles but not all of them. Right now I have trouble getting used to eating sugar and lots of fruit. I have trouble digesting dairy. In fact the only dairy I can have without ill effect is ice cream! <-- See, no one would believe me on other forums! ;P

I haven't been eating tons of PUFAs (from nuts and seed oils) in the last couple of years. Once I got the okay to eat butter I never looked back.

Reading Dr. Peat's articles is very rewarding for me (his writing style reminds me of how my bf talks; they both have a mistrust of public institutions and are lovers of obscure historical anecdotes). I was warned that his writing is dry and confusing but I actually find that he's a very effective creative writer. Aside from googling some chemical compounds and processes (or asking my bf), I never lose his train of thought or get bored.

My temperature before sleep was 37.3C (99.14F). Today before rising it was the same. I believe it's a little higher than usual, but correct me if I'm wrong. My pulse is also elevated most of the time (according to my bf). Why is that? I think I might not have low thyroid after all, but the more Peat I read the more I think I have estrogen dominance.

Speaking of, this is day two of Progest-E. Yesterday I got a scratchy feeling in my throat before sleeping. I got a bit nauseous on the second dose and had stomach pangs (from too much dairy, I think) but other than that I felt fine.

I'm on the run today so had coffee and half a sandwich. I have to say, a little bit of wheat or "off limits" food would automatically trigger lots of cravings and binging and I've noticed in the past few weeks, incorporating more of Peats, a feeling of calmness and serenity when it comes to food.

Enough for today... :)

Baby steps....you will get to exactly where you want to be.

I too get the scratchy weird feeling with Progest-E.

I'm so glad you're here! :woo

schultz

Hello!

A few things that helped me when I first stumbled upon Ray Peat were...

1. I started using cronometer.
2. Listening to all the audio interviews with Ray. I think these are valuable for the beginner.
3. If weightloss is a goal, buy a food scale.

I did the "diet" for 6 months and stayed the same weight the whole time (which was overweight), but I felt much better. Then I decided that to really make a difference in my health and well-being I would have to slowly shed my stored fat. I looked at cronometer and according to my height, 6 feet, and weight, 206lbs (not that fat but still uncomfortably so), my maintenance calories were something like 2,650. I'm not sure how accurate that is because it didn't take into account a bunch of variables, but I had to start somewhere so I just decided to be in a minor deficit. I decided to try and eat around 2,200.

I did this from October 10th 2013 to around April 2014 and went from 206 to 164lbs. I took a break from counting calories and recently started doing it again (August 1st) and will continue until I am satisfied with how I look. It is a very easy to follow and consistent way to lose weight.

It has been hands down the best, easiest and most comfortable way of eating for me. I've tried a lot of different things (except veganism) and I feel the best on this approach.

Anyway, I hope you are successful with this endeavor!

PS You mentioned you are Canadian? I am from Ontario.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

thebigpeatowski said:
Baby steps....you will get to exactly where you want to be.

I too get the scratchy weird feeling with Progest-E.

I'm so glad you're here! :woo

Thanks D, I wouldn't be here without you hunting me down and dragging me over here ;D

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

schultz said:
Hello!

A few things that helped me when I first stumbled upon Ray Peat were...

1. I started using cronometer.
2. Listening to all the audio interviews with Ray. I think these are valuable for the beginner.
3. If weightloss is a goal, buy a food scale.

I did the "diet" for 6 months and stayed the same weight the whole time (which was overweight), but I felt much better. Then I decided that to really make a difference in my health and well-being I would have to slowly shed my stored fat. I looked at cronometer and according to my height, 6 feet, and weight, 206lbs (not that fat but still uncomfortably so), my maintenance calories were something like 2,650. I'm not sure how accurate that is because it didn't take into account a bunch of variables, but I had to start somewhere so I just decided to be in a minor deficit. I decided to try and eat around 2,200.

I did this from October 10th 2013 to around April 2014 and went from 206 to 164lbs. I took a break from counting calories and recently started doing it again (August 1st) and will continue until I am satisfied with how I look. It is a very easy to follow and consistent way to lose weight.

It has been hands down the best, easiest and most comfortable way of eating for me. I've tried a lot of different things (except veganism) and I feel the best on this approach.

Anyway, I hope you are successful with this endeavor!

PS You mentioned you are Canadian? I am from Ontario.

Hey Schultz!

I've been in deficit for the last 2 years! I'm trying NOT to count calories for a while and focus on protein intake instead. If that doesn't work maybe I'll have to deficit again.

I (unfortunately) live in QC, but originally from Toronto! So :rockout

As for your tips:
1. Done!
2. On it!
3. Maybe in the future. I do use measuring cups from time to time and tend to exaggerate food intake and undereat.

I'm glad it worked for you so well! I've got a lot of weight to lose, and it's much easier for you guys, it almost seems like the odds are stacked against us gals.
Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQgsr5tR48

;D

OH CRUEL FATE!!!!!!!!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

99.5 today and yesterday evening.
Trouble sleeping.

ProgestE is annoying because it makes my throat scratchy. Getting some OJ, (Goat's) milk and meats today at the store. Ate my daily carrot ;D

I'm breaking out REALLY bad. I haven't been breaking out like this since I was 19. ProgestE? Milk? What gives?

4peatssake

Peat's_Girl said:
99.5 today and yesterday evening.
Trouble sleeping.

ProgestE is annoying because it makes my throat scratchy. Getting some OJ, (Goat's) milk and meats today at the store. Ate my daily carrot ;D

I'm breaking out REALLY bad. I haven't been breaking out like this since I was 19. ProgestE? Milk? What gives?
Use it topically perhaps? With a little coconut oil to thin it out some. Or use it only on the lips and avoid swallowing.

:welcome2 to the forum!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

4PTSK, love your name ;D
I use it on my gums and don't swallow (uh oh, that's what she said!). It feels too gross on the lips. (same joke here)

They didn't have goat's milk... Wow. What else is new Quebec? Oh yeah, shitty Amazon buyers from QC who try to screw you over... Cortisol skyrocketing, feeling helpless all the time. ;/

Constipated lately... But usually it's the big D plaguing me during the week, so maybe it beats the alternative.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Feeling really sick today. Lethargic and have no energy.
Did I get sick? My temp is 37.8C now! (100F I think)
It is quite warm in my room and my body temp often reflects the environment than its own warmth.
That is, if the place is cold, my body will be cold and if the room is hot my body will be hot.
I heard it should be the opposite...

I can't find the thread that talks about body temperature and how to tell if you're hypo.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Augh.

I guess this is take two.

I really don't want to be here...

I don't understand Peat and I don't believe it can work for me, because nothing has worked,
and some stuff has worked but stopped working... But I have nothing else... and this is the only thing left...

After my first few posts and trying to read Peat's I couldn't wrap my head around eating sugar...
I don't know if it's my Paleo brainwash not letting me move on, but even following Paleo stopped working for me so it's cracking the foundations of my belief system and I have nowhere else to turn.

I thought I hit rock bottom but it got so much worse...
Heh, it can always get worse...

I lost my appetite completely.
I would eat maybe once a day at most and sometimes go for 24hr+ without food.
It could be mental stress, because we're not doing well financially so it was an excuse not to eat.

I've been exercising for two months now and barely eating but actually gained weight.
My strength isn't improving and every time it's a huge struggle to do it. (I did HIIT for 15-20m and Callanetics, so bot strength stuff. But every time I walk I get tired and carrying things is hard... I'm surprised at how weak I am...)

My insomnia is at an all time low......................
I cannot fall asleep AT ALL.
Like, it used to be that I would go for 20hrs and eventually just pass out.
Now I can't even fall asleep then. I can get a strange feeling of wakefulness all of a sudden even if I haven't slept for an entire day or more. I think the most was 4 days.

I tried sleeping pills, and they don't work.
Actually a lot of drugs don't work on me at all and doctors need to give me x2 or even x3 the dose sometimes. I used to think it was cool but now I'm thinking that perhaps I can't digest/ absorb things well
which means I can't do the same for food and vitamins and supplements! (No wonder, most of them don't seem to work...)

I started breaking out like a teenager. I used to get some acne here and there if I ate "badly" but now it's intense. I get it on my shoulders especially and under my chin (not typical for me) my skin looks completely dried out and wrinkled and I feel like I look really really old for my age.

I can't afford to eat beef or get my tests done so I'm basically fumbling in the dark here, but it seems like thyroid... I also don't have a lot of access to fruit (especially really good quality).

What's worse (aside from not sleeping) is my brain fog and memory loss. I have a hard time remembering things and sometimes speaking (tongue heaviness).

Basically... I don't know what to do...
I started drinking whole milk with some gelatin but I'm really scared to put sugar in... I put some honey but it's too sweet... and I don't put that much.
I don't have a kettle yet but I got a coffee press...
I'm not sure how much and how to eat in these circumstances... Sometimes money has to determine what we eat and in most cases it's Hamburger Helper... (lol)

I'm looking over the forums but everyone's advice is inaccessible... They use weird abbreviations or come from a place where everyone is on the same page...
This is why reading Peat (or writing or doing anything really) is so taxing... I feel like I'm losing my mind...
I need someone to explain things to me as if I were a child. (I have the attention span of one sometimes..)
I used to be so smart :(

I guess all I can do is keep trying, but some part of me thinks I will never be beautiful or healthy again. Like at 26 that ship has sailed and I will just get worse/older and fatter and more tired...
I hope I'm wrong.

SQu

You will get better. If I can at 50, you can at 26. You can eat ice cream you say? Can you get a good one? Or make your own? I'll try find the relevant link. It's excellent for brain energy. Which sounds low to me. So I'll keep this short. I'd suggest stopping the exercise and focusing on getting nourished asap.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65&hilit=ice+cream+recipe

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

sueq said:
You will get better. If I can at 50, you can at 26. You can eat ice cream you say? Can you get a good one? Or make your own? I'll try find the relevant link. It's excellent for brain energy. Which sounds low to me. So I'll keep this short. I'd suggest stopping the exercise and focusing on getting nourished asap.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65&hilit=ice+cream+recipe

Thanks Sue :D

You never need to shorten your posts with me, I like reading and as you can tell my posts are quite epic... :)

I can get Haagen-Daaz, that one's my favourite. We have some strange varieties here (Canada, QC) but most of them have gums and carrageenan.
They have a gelato version of cappuccino that basically has cream, milk, sugar, instant coffee and egg yolks-- It's like Peat has made the recipe himself :D
Did you try that one?

I stopped exercising (usually if I skip a day I punish myself to do more the next day... but I'm pretty sure that's not working................)

How do you suggest I get nourished? I'm gonna do some independent grocery shopping today.
So I'm taking requests for my shopping list :D

So far I got:
-OJ
-Milk, whole
-Icecream
-Apple sauce
-Frozen berries

Jennifer

Hi Peat's_Girl,

I second sueq's suggestion of ice cream. I wasn't tolerating much else other than ice cream so it really was a savior for me to get the calories in. Ray has mentioned that sugar helps with digesting milk for those who have trouble with it so this may be why you and I tolerate it better. And just a thought, if you can't get goat's milk in the store, but still want to try it, another option is ordering powdered goat's milk online, say from iherb.com or vitacost.com?

I'm going to be experimenting with goat's milk to see if I digest it better than cow's milk. I just found a study that showed "goat milk has shorter coagulation time, less resistance to heat treatment, curd firmness is weaker and cheese yields are less which might explain significant differences to cow and other milk digestion by infants and patients which traditionally have been explained by the "homogenized" nature of goat milk fat." I'm assuming if a person has low stomach acid or intestinal inflammation/damage, this might be why some report digesting it better than cow's milk.

The brain fog, memory loss, dry skin ect., I would put my money on the lack of food in your system so please don't feel like all is lost, especially at 26. The best is yet to come! The acne could very well be related to your digestion. If you're having a hard time digesting anything, like milk for instance, any undigested food is food for bacteria.

You bring up a good point about many of us abbreviating in our posts and how that can be confusing for others who are new here. I'm long winded and try to cut down my words by abbreviating, but I'll try to stop that. And never hesitate to ask what an abbreviation means or have a forum member explain something you don't understand, okay!?

Your list looks good! I live in New Hampshire and our fruit selection isn't stellar either so I've relied heavily on frozen fruit during the colder months. Anyhow, if you enjoy and tolerate eggs and strained yogurt (Greek, skyr ect.) those are another option to add.

Oh and you're 6 feet tall? Impressive! I'm thinking you don't have to climb the counters to reach the top cupboards, huh? Lucky girl! :)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
Oh and you're 6 feet tall? Impressive! I'm thinking you don't have to climb the counters to reach the top cupboards, huh? Lucky girl! :)

Whoa!!! Where did you read that?!
Could it be that my brain fog is worse than I thought...
Maybe I said it with irony?... Im 5'2! So I actually need a stepping stool to reach the kitchen cupboards...
But, can you imagine? If I was tat tall and was 50lbs overweight?
I could be a quarterback :D

I'm so so so scared of eating... I'm reading on the forum that a lot of people are having trouble losing on Peat's and some are gaining (reading Peata's thread now).

How can I be under-nourished and fat...? So confusing...

And I actually moved to the city now and I can get goats milk.
Did you try it? AUGH it tastes like a GOAT BARN! No thank you! How can you stand it?!
Whenever I drink cows milk my mouth waters and I feel this heavenly tasty feeling :D
(Paleo and dairy avoidant for too long when milk is my favourite thing!)

I found that my tolerance for milk has improved dramatically.
I experience no discomfort or bloating from drinking it and I drink 1-2 glasses every day now with gelatin.
I think that if you're adjusting to consuming dairy after a stint with Paleo you might have false symptoms of intolerance because you're not used to it.

Have you tried lactaid? What does Peat say about it?
I eat A LOT of starch (it's cheap) and haven't gone off grains completely yet.
My only worries are about having no access to bones and gelatinous cuts, inability to afford beef and getting enough calories in the absence of starch.

My biggest worry is gaining more weight :/

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
Whoa!!! Where did you read that?!
Could it be that my brain fog is worse than I thought...
Maybe I said it with irony?... Im 5'2! So I actually need a stepping stool to reach the kitchen cupboards...
But, can you imagine? If I was tat tall and was 50lbs overweight?
I could be a quarterback :D
Oh geez! I read that in schultz's comment and thought I read it in yours. Pay no attention to me. I'm delusional. LOL

Peat's_Girl said:
I'm so so so scared of eating... I'm reading on the forum that a lot of people are having trouble losing on Peat's and some are gaining (reading Peata's thread now).

How can I be under-nourished and fat...? So confusing...
The premise is, when you're starved of the nutrients you need for proper cellular function/bodily maintenance and repair and/or your body senses deprevation/food is scarce, it will hoard fat to keep you alive and/or to make necessary repairs, like building back muscle, bone and organs. So if you come from a history of nutrient deprivation/yo yo dieting, there's a chance your body will put on healing weight, but that doesn't mean it's there to stay.

If the goat milk tastes like a goat barn, it wasn't handled properly. Meaning, the bucks weren't kept away from lactating does or the milk wasn't kept chilled ect. It should taste sweet and clean just like cow's milk. I finally came across a farm in Vermont and their milk tastes just like cow's milk. But since your tolerance for milk has dramatically improved, no need to concern yourself with that.

I've been drinking cow's milk for 6 years now after my stint with fruitarianism (80/10/10) so I should be adapted by now, I would think. My issue isn't bloating or diarrhea from it so it's not the lactose, but the actual protein, I suspect. Ray has written about the study that was done that showed lactose intolerance can be overcome in two weeks and his strategy is to reintroduce milk slowly.

Gelatinous cuts or gelatin are to balance out meat's amino acids so when you can tolerate getting a lot of your nutrition from dairy, fruit and an egg or two a day, you could keep meat/shellfish to only a couple times a week. Or how about potatoes? Since you eat starch, potatoes are a good source of protein and nutrients so you wouldn't have to worry about beef, gelatinous cuts and bone broth unless you really enjoy eating them.

Yeah, with the weight gain, I can understand your concern. There really is no way of knowing what your body will do. I refed and gained 50 pounds, but it all came back off once I no longer had extreme hunger so I think it's a matter of giving your body time to heal.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
If the goat milk tastes like a goat barn, it wasn't handled properly. Meaning, the milk wasn't kept away from the lactating doe after milking or wasn't kept chilled ect. It should taste sweet and clean just like cow's milk. I finally came across a farm in Vermont and their milk tastes just like cow's milk. But since your tolerance for milk has dramatically improved, no need to concern yourself with that.

Aww shucks... I don't have access to farms right now, the only one I tried I bought at the store. I guess they don't handle their milk well. But I always thought the goaty flavour was what people liked...
I might pick some up today and try it again. (I used to hate lamb for the same reason but now I love it!)

I do love meat and gelatinous cuts of meat! But they just sell muscle meat in the stores and beef is out of my price range so I just get chicken and pork. I will have to shop around, maybe in Asian stores. Funny, as an (ex-) frutitaritarian this is probably a lot of meat for you, but for me this is as close to vegetarian as I can be :D

Do you have a journal? Id like to read what you did to lose the weight!
I have quite a bit to lose...

Off to do my soppin!

Btw, are baby carrots just as good as regular carrots in Peats eyes?...
(Silly questions, I know!)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

wow........... great spelling...

my laptop has some water damage and the G, H don't work well... so keep that in mind when deciphering my posts ;D

Jennifer

Yeah, maybe they like that goaty flavor in goat cheese or perhaps they're not use to properly handled goat milk so they've come to expect that flavor, but from the reviews I've seen, it's that barnyard flavor that turns many people off from drinking it.

LOL I was only fruitarian for a little over 2 years, but before that I was eating meat. I tried fruitarianism in the hopes of overcoming depression and putting on some much needed weight at the time. Unfortunately, it almost took me out of the game of life.

I do have a log, but mine is about my recovery from near death. It's sort of a "Jennifer's life and what's in her head" log so there's also a lot of rambling in it besides health talk. It's probably a mess to follow so if you attempt reading it, you're a brave soul! :)

If you prefer baby carrots, those are good too!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

I don't have much to do right now anyways... Just moved into a new apartment and my bf is at work all day...
I'm lonely :)

It's wonderful you've survived something so debilitating! I'm sure it has made you much stronger and cooler ;D