Peat Girl's Logger

Blossom

Forum Supporter
To measure your pulse you can use a stopwatch or second hand and put your index and middle fingers over the pulse on your wrist just above the thumb. Count the number of beats for 15 seconds and multiply that number by four to get your pulse rate. You can do it for 30 seconds and multiply by two if you prefer. As soon as you wake up is a good time to measure and again about an hour after breakfast. Some people measure through out the day. Take temps at the same time.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Blossom said:
To measure your pulse you can use a stopwatch or second hand and put your index and middle fingers over the pulse on your wrist just above the thumb. Count the number of beats for 15 seconds and multiply that number by four to get your pulse rate. You can do it for 30 seconds and multiply by two if you prefer. As soon as you wake up is a good time to measure and again about an hour after breakfast. Some people measure through out the day. Take temps at the same time.

Great advice, I just got a thermometer and I'm gonna measure my pulse and temp every morning and after breakfast.
Do you know if it matters if the breakfast is solid or just milk/ juice?
Technically shouldn't right?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peat's_Girl said:
Blossom said:

Great advice, I just got a thermometer and I'm gonna measure my pulse and temp every morning and after breakfast.
Do you know if it matters if the breakfast is solid or just milk/ juice?
Technically shouldn't right?
I don't know if the breakfast being solid or liquid matters actually. I've never read anything about it mattering.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

I got caught up with reading Danny Roddy's blog, and the works of others he mentions...
I'm not sure why I keep delaying actually delving into Peat's articles but I find myself side-tracked.
I wish Danny's idea of energy metabolism was as easy as it seemed.
But I seem to not be able to eat anything without suffering.

Anyway, I can't think of a way to put myself on an elimination diet. In Paleo terms it would be greens and meats and very little else, but in Peat's terms?... I don't know.
I have no access to healing bone broths. I've literally looked everywhere, including Asian stores! There are no nearby butchers, only giant stores and smaller Indian/ Asian owned convenience stores. Neither sell bones...
Can't expect much else from the Vegan capital of Canada...

What else could go on my elimination diet? Dairy would make it literally impossible for me to get my protein. The knox gelatin only has 4g of protein per packet and it refuses to incorporate into my milk.
If I remove starches and dairy it would basically guarantee that I eat no more than 300kcals a day in gelatin and orange juice...

But the insomnia is coming back and the bloat is getting ridiculous. I even have a running joke of being pregnant (cause I sure look like I'm about to pop).
My BMs are set at 1 per day and they're usually really dysfunctional looking... Between completely watery to the whole process feeling like I'm birthing a watermelon (hey, don't lecture me about TMIs, this whole forum is obsessed with poop!).
And yesterday I found what looked to be blood again... :(

Maybe Peat's isn't for me?

My skin isn't great (I've lost hope anyway; my skin was utterly frightening looking since I was 16) and I have bouts of complete nonchalance towards food and ravenous hunger. The problems could lie in the fact that I overeat. My calories for the day are rarely over 2,000kcals but sometimes I eat more than I can handle per meal. This usually happens with meat and fat and sometimes starches (if there's fat on them). Basically I crave the opposite of Peat's and what more closely resembles my previous WOE. I would eat some and know that the meal was large enough to satisfy me but I want to eat more. So I do, and at that point its too late.

I don't know what to do. I just want to feel normal again...

Jennifer

I'm sorry it's not going well, Ally. I completely sympathize with you. :(

Okay, let's see what we can tackle...

For bone broth, I keep this stocked in my pantry:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults. ... ne%20stock

It contains 14 grams of protein per cup so that would get you lots of protein.

There's also the option of the potato protein soup for an easily digestible protein source. You take pounds of potatoes and juice them. You're looking at a minimum of 8 pounds to get any significant amount of juice for the day. With this, you're extracting their keto acids. It can be done without a juicer if you have a blender. I just blend the potatoes in my Vitamix and use a mesh bag to squeeze out the juice. I let the juice sit in a clear container and the starch falls to the bottom. I scoop out the liquid portion avoiding the starch and cook this on the stove. Any remaining starch will curdle up while cooking and then I take a coffee filter and place it in the opening of a large mason jar and pour the cooked soup in it and let the juice filter through. This gives you a perfectly clear juice like that of filtered coffee.

How did you do with the apple juice? No luck?

What you're going through sounds just like what I and others like sunmountain have dealt with. I wonder if it would help you to drop the starch and focus on dairy, fruit juice, honey and/or white sugar as your carbohydrate sources and supplement with the Pacific bone broth, meats, eggs (though, I think you mentioned not liking them?) and well cooked veggies?

tara

HI Peat's_Girl,

Blossom's description of measuring pulse is good. If you have trouble finding your wrist pulse, I sometimes find my throat pulse easier to count.

If I had blood in stool, I'd be consulting dr. May be mechanical trouble rupturing small blood vessels, which is annoying and worth trying to sort out, but it could also have more serious causes, which would be worth knowing about ASAP, from my PoV. Maybe you've already had this checked out.

I'm with you on that quote about not avoiding everything. If I avoided everything that's been suggested to me for my condition, I'd be (worse) starved.

Also thought I'd stick a note in your log regarding what you wrote on Jennifer's about Mg bicarb water.

I've made the Mg bicarb water a few times. I don't think you can just mix it in a cup, because the reaction that turns the combination into Mg bicarb occurs best under pressure (and cold and with some shaking). Without pressure the carbon dioxide might escape before it reacts. Without the cold and the shaking it it's likely to take days instead of hours to react. If it's not fully reacted, you get some of white powder settling to the bottom.

I make up the concentrated Mg bicarb water using Mg 3tsp hydroxide powder in a 1.25 or 1.5 litre bottle. I pour out a little of the soda water first to give some space so that it doesn't waste by fizzing out the top before I can get the top on to retain the pressure. Then shake, and if I've got space in my freezer I stick it in there for an hour or two to cool it down more.

Once it's reacted (the bottle caves in, and there's no white powder settling to the bottom), I just add a little to plain water to taste. I never drink it straight. If yours tasted terrible, I'd suggest just try putting a little in a glass and diluting with plain water till it tastes good. You might not need a full 400mg MG in this form.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

I got really sick the last couple of days.
The less sleep I get the worst I feel, which is weird.
I was always functional regardless of how much sleep I got. Today I literally could not get out of bed and felt cold/flu like symptoms (headache, bone ache and fatigue).I felt like
a bus hit me and broke every bone in my body.

I've never felt this bad on any diet and I've done some crazy ones.
I just don't get what's happening... I'm doing everything I can... I'm afraid that without milk a Peat-like diet is not realistic
and I would have to return to Paleo-ish with some more fruit. I don't want to admit defeat.
It's almost like this diet is for those who need to gain weight than to lose it...

I don't wanna give up especially since the science makes so much sense to me (but hey, so did paleo), but lately from everything I've been reading it seems that Peat proponents advocate low-fat and I just cant go back to that.

If anyone's still reading this... I'm wondering about agave syrup. Peat said it could be allergenic if heated... Does that mean raw agave better or that I should avoid it completely since it would all have to be processed? I just know I used to love the stuff and it's almost pure fructose. Now that everyone's freaking out about it being bad for you it's a good time to get some for cheap...

Also, what about proper hydration? I couldn't find anything on the forum. Does Peat say anything about it? Is drinking OJ and milk enough? How much pure water should I be getting a day?
There's some debate about RO water and someone said "if you insist to drink water"... Implying it's not ideal? Can someone explain this?

Today I noticed my ENTIRE face is covered with breakouts! I didn't notice this because I evade the mirror as much as possible but what the hell...! Is it the dairy? The coconut oil? This is NOT acceptable.
I don't need to be both fat and pimpled.

My next course of action is to make weekly chicken broths and throw some gelatin in.
Then, get a cheapish juicer and try some fresh fruit. Maybe I don't tolerate juice as well.
Begrudgingly, I will try skim milk for a week or two. I wonder if my skin will be better for it...
But maybe it's just organic milk that's tolerable to my ****88 up digestive system.
Does that make sense?...
There's nothing that amazing about "organic" milk... I know the label of organic is nonsense... Is it in my head that I do better on it? Or maybe there are some hormones in the regular milk that break me out?

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

But they don't! http://www.albertamilk.com/ask-dairy-fa ... the-assum/

I don't live in Alberta (God knows I've been trying............) but it applies to all of us in Canada.
So what gives?
Coconut oil? But I'm sooooooooooooo dry after showering. I even reduced to showering twice a week...
And it's grossing me out. I like showering.
Anyone knows of a good water filter?

Yay for my new *albeit shittily made* humidifier!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Hi.

So I ate some PUFAs today in the form of potato chips... I felt much better.................
Maybe I need more calories to feel better.

I want to get a mandoline and make my own chips.

Want Want Want...
I also want a money tree.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Finally got my thermometer.

Yikes. 96.5 (ear) and 96.8 (oral).
Aren't I technically dead?...

This was upon waking, but I also woke up to the sound of a knock at the door and sprinted to dress up and open it. I couldn't find my pulse today... I tried the neck too and it's not working out. I'll stick with the temperatures for now.

Jennifer

Oh Ally! :(

So when you were eating a Paleo diet, how was your digestion then? Also, exactly what foods were you eating?

Do you have a blender? I'm only asking because if you did, as a trial before committing to juicing, you could blend up fruit and strain out the juice with a mesh bag and see if you do better with this juice as appose to bottled juices? If you do, then you know the juicer will be worth the time and investment.

Your temps look like what mine were a couple years back. I was alive, relatively speaking, so I think you can put a hold on haunting your noisy neighbors for the time being. If your pulse reads 0, definitely go have some fun. Maybe pace the halls yelling out "I see dead people!" That'll get em! ;)

tara

Agave: If you like it I'd say give it a go and see if you feel better or worse for it. It may be allergenic for some people, but not necessarily for everyone.

Hydration: Peat recommends drinking to thirst. If you are still thirsty after drinking all the milk and OJ you want, then you can drink water if you want. Needs vary according to metabolism, climate, activity, etc. You can also check the output - if you are peeing clear and often, then you probably don't need water. If dark and seldom, you could see if you feel better with more. Personally, my sense of thirst was deranged after years of drinking too much water. I still have to put water to my lips to be able to tell if I'm thirsty or not. I find how much water I want depends on how much of my food is coming from liquids - juice, milk etc, and how much is solid. I currently finding just a little of the Mg bicarb water in with plain water to be satisfying.

pboy

key cause of acne is too many acids in diet, might try skippin OJ, go with potatoes, and see how that goes. Seems like you might be overliquified also which is why potato can help you, and the chips probly did, and your temp will go up more than likely also

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Thanks guys! I will take all these into account and eat a bucket of fried of chicken.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

HAHAHA.

Just kidding.

I have been experiencing some heavy duty insomnia and so I've been reading Matt Stone's books.
He's a crackpot and a megalomaniac but he might be onto something.
HOWEVER.

His recommendation regarding limiting liquids and sticking to a meal schedule might be the thing.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to weather out my indigestion and eat some starches.
I've been peeing so frequently and so often I can't realistically stay asleep.
Not to mention the insomnia is back and these strange flu-like symptoms.

Let's give it a go.
I'm back to my whole organic milk and I'm trying a tropical concentrated juice, but I'll limit the juice to balance out meals with sugar and not drink it as is, like I've been doing.

Wish me luck!

sctb

I really wish you the best of luck! I'm a fellow Canadian
but have been living in the US for a couple of years now.

Another general recommendation I can make is to spend
some time reducing psychological stress. Digestion and
the gut are involved in a ton of neurological activity (both
local and cerebral!). Attacking only the food aspect could
leave you spinning your wheels and making it all worse
by pulling frustration into the mix.

I'm procrastinating working on this stuff for myself, so I
don't have any specific tools to recommend, although the
techniques that have crossed my desk in the past are
things like mindfulness, meditation, and CBT.

I know it sounds a bit wacky, but it's serious stuff! You
can find a lot by Googling things like "pubmed stress
digestion" or "gut-brain axis". But don't go overboard, it's
stressful in itself ;)

Cheers,

Scott

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals