Jennifer's Recovery Log

Jennifer

A friend would like me to share what I've learned through my health journey so I thought this would be a good starting point for my log. It will help remind me what I've learned just in case I forget every now and then.

So here's what I've learned so far...

If I have the courage to shine a light on my fears and insecurities and can shout them to the world, they no longer hold me captive.

The sexual abuse I suffered as a little girl doesn't define me. I'm nobody's victim.

Not every guy will reject me if I let him get close.

In almost dying, I finally came alive.

Trying repeatedly to walk day after day, only to end up on the floor in a puddle of my own urine was worth every humbling moment because at least I dared to move.

I define my recovery.

I may feel lonely at times, but I am never alone.

I can try to outrun myself, but my yellow brick road will always lead me back to me.

Even if I have nowhere left to turn to but down on my knees, I will always find my resolve.

Just believing in someone's ability to overcome their obstacles can change their life.

When I worried that no one would ever accept me, I needed only to look within and found it was me I feared most would never accept me.

Though my halo is a bit tilted, I never again want to force it to straighten.

Having faith is not just for the religious.

The light at the end of my tunnel is me.

I am a miracle.

We are all miracles and we don't need to do a single thing to earn it. We were born one and we'll die one. No matter if we get ripped or go soft, get our diet just right or screw it up completely, get in our own way or out of it, be the loudest cheerleader or the meekest person, climb a mountain or fall from grace, we'll still be a miracle.

Last but not least, I learned that if all else fails...dance! :D

Thanks for letting me share.

tara

Thanks. I especially like this bit:
Jennifer said:
The light at the end of my tunnel is me.

I am a miracle.

We are all miracles and we don't need to do a single thing to earn it. We were born one and we'll die one. No matter if we get ripped or go soft, get our diet just right or screw it up completely, get in our own way or out of it, be the loudest cheerleader or the meekest person, climb a mountain or fall from grace, we'll still be a miracle.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thank you, tara! :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Dutchie said:
Very courageous of you to share....and very valuable lessons learned.:)

Thanks! I was channeling my inner Dutchie. ;)

lindsay

Thank you for sharing Jennifer!! Your story and recovery process always encourages me to not give up on myself!! Keep up the good work!! And dancing :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Thank you, Lindsay. What you've been through and have overcome encourages me too. You are one strong miracle. :D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Today's log...

I fought the rash and the rash won so it's officially been almost a week since cutting out dairy from my diet. My depression lifted within a day, along with the rash. My spine is feeling pretty good so I guess it wasn't the dairy reducing the bone pain after all. My temps have soared to 98.6 degrees from a low 96.8 degrees. This is despite the fact that I haven't been taking much progest-e or NDT this past week. And oddly enough, the heartburn hasn't made an appearance since cutting out the dairy.

So lesson learned for this week, if my body rashes for 5 years straight from consuming dairy, listen to what my body needs and not what my brain thinks I need.

On today's menu we had...

Sweet crab meat.

Fried eggs. I'm craving them like crazy. Tally for today, 5. Oh you incredible edible delights!

Insane amounts of black mulberry juice a.k.a pie in a bottle. I added hydrolysate and sparkling mineral water to it and it was nice and frothy.

Cold pressed strawberry apple juice I picked up at Whole Foods. It reminded me of a strawberry Julius. I loved those growing up so this took me back to my happy place. I'll have to come up with a replacement for the dairy an authentic Julius contains. Perhaps coconut milk/cream?

I have a copy cat recipe so I'll do some experimenting and see what I come up with. I'll start with just adding sugar to the juice and blend it all with some ice in the Vitamix. Vita has been giving me dirty looks lately and I don't blame her. I've neglected her pulverizing capabilities for far too long. I'll probably need a chisel to remove the dust she's collected. Okay, I lied. I'm a recovering neat freak and have dusted her off faithfully every week. Please don't tell my sponsor. :pray

The calories have been pretty dismal compared to the 3,000 I usually put away, but I'm slowly working my way up with the new foods I'm adding in. My goal right now is to get out of my head and just listen to my body.

And for the song of the day, I shook my tush to this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFCW3PHBws

SQu

Jennifer, the way you empathized with and defended your mom and your aunt (I think) with weight problems was inspiring. I don't think I ever thanked you but if we ever had a highlights thread I'd vote for that post. Like you said yourself,
' Just believing in someone's ability to overcome their obstacles can change their life'
and just knowing there are at least some people like you out there makes me more hopeful.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

sueq said:
Jennifer, the way you empathized with and defended your mom and your aunt (I think) with weight problems was inspiring. I don't think I ever thanked you but if we ever had a highlights thread I'd vote for that post. Like you said yourself,
' Just believing in someone's ability to overcome their obstacles can change their life'
and just knowing there are at least some people like you out there makes me more hopeful.

Awe...thank you, sueq! That's such a sweet thing for you to say and I really appreciate the kind words. You don't know how much I needed to hear something like that today. I'm lucky there are people like you out there too.

I'm thankful for all of you. You guys/gals are the best! :)

But yeah, I do believe in all of us to overcome our hurdles, that's for sure!

I read people's stories on here and many other forums I've been lucky enough to be a part of and I just think it's amazing the courage people have to share their story. The fact that people can be so vulnerable and completely open with who they are and what they've been through, I admire everyone for having that kind of courage. Even on the web where no one knows you, it's still really hard to spill our guts.

Thanks again, sueq! :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Well, this log is going to be pitiful much like my calorie intake the past week, but I don't have a huge following so...hmm...note to self, convince Charlie to promote my log. :D

Today's find was really yummy Herbert's lemonade. I bought the watermelon and the strawberry. I'm pretty much drinking most of my calories because I'm thirsty all the time. It's most likely due to the fact that I got use to drinking a gallon of milk a day. Thank goodness I finally came to my senses and listen to my body or else I probably would have invested in a cow or knowing me, a dairy farm. Go big or go home!

I'm still on my egg kick, but now that I've found my heartburn freedom, I'm hoping to test out some creamer potatoes and my favorite Japanese sweet potatoes. Those things are insanely good with some coconut cream, salt and a bit of onion and garlic powder.

My temps are nice and high so something seems to be working. Finally! *raises arms in rejoice*

Today's song is inspired by my neighbor who was sporting his red boxing gloves while jogging this morning. Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwer1CiteBg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer, 200 views in 3 days is ain't too bad!

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Charlie said:
Jennifer, 200 views in 3 days is ain't too bad!

I'm trailing behind a turnip, Charlie! The Ray Peat and turnips post is at 467 views and counting. What does the turnip have that I don't have? Sure it has 95% water content with a slight amount of sugar and fiber (narouz, the answers #5), but is it filled with 100% love? No!

Something has to be done about this. I need to at least tie with the turnips or my self-esteem will be shattered.

Hmm...how to spice up my log? I could do cooking segments? Dance videos? Bribery? :D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Today was very busy and I was in and out of the house all day. This morning I went to pick up a Christmas gift and as I was getting off the highway, stopped in front of me at the light was a black SUV with a half eaten banana (in peal) on it's bumper. My first thought was Freelee the banana girl had been hit. This is when you know you've spent far too much time in the health scene.

Let's see...my temps have been consistently warm. My skin is looking really good and my mood, well, I feel like I got Jen back. I've been very happy and laughing a lot. This is a good sign. I know when I haven't laughed in a while, you know that deep belly laugh where you're gasping for air, if that hasn't happened in a while, I know I'm not aligned with myself. I've gotten off track.

Since I've been busting a gut lately, I know I made the right decision in switching up my diet. I feel a spark of creativity hitting me so I see some painting in my future. Not canvas, but furniture. I love furniture, especially anything hand carved. So much time and effort invested in a carved piece and it takes paint beautifully. Glazes, milk paints, waxes all make the piece come alive.

For food, today at the store I grabbed some frozen Goya brand papaya. I add a touch of salt to it and it really brings out the flavor. I also had a whopping 6 eggs! I was saddened to find my local health store no longer carries the Japanese sweet potatoes so I'm on the hunt for those. Maybe at Whole Foods?

Well, it's really late and I'm not even sure what I just wrote so it's definitely time for some shut eye. I hope Charlie's ultra sound goes well tomorrow and the apple cider vinegar works like a charm on his gallbladder.

Tonight's song's...

For those needing some healing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V3Mo61fJM

And we can't forget the banana:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ePIZugahFc

Dutchie

Hahaha,I had to laugh so hard about the Freelee thougth popping up in your head!....random thougths like that happen to me too.

Painting on furniture and stuff,'pimping them' is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your creations!:)
(Shoes like Converse or Vans types of models are also fun to paint,btw)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Dutchie said:
Hahaha,I had to laugh so hard about the Freelee thougth popping up in your head!....random thougths like that happen to me too.

Painting on furniture and stuff,'pimping them' is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your creations!:)
(Shoes like Converse or Vans types of models are also fun to paint,btw)
Okay, let's test this out, J. A man walks into a bar wearing Vibram five finger running shoes. What's the first thing that pops into your head? Just kidding!

Haha! I like that term "pimping" furniture. :D

I knew this woman who was a beautiful muralist and she started painting those Dr. Scholl's sandals, the ones with the wooden foot base. They were like a work of art on your feet.

I actually looked into sourcing clogs with a silk upper so that I could start silk painting them. I use to have a pair of clogs I loved and I thought of a few techniques that would look cool on silk. Maybe that can be my next project.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer said:
I'm trailing behind a turnip, Charlie! The Ray Peat and turnips post is at 467 views and counting. What does the turnip have that I don't have? Sure it has 95% water content with a slight amount of sugar and fiber (narouz, the answers #5), but is it filled with 100% love? No!

Well, narouz does have a gift for drawing people in. hehe :lol:

Glad you are feeling better, Jennifer!

Love Coldplay, thank you! Thats one of my favorite Coldplay songs. And thank you so much for sending me good thoughts, seems like its working!! :P

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

It is true! Narouz does have a gift. Okay, fine! Narouz, you can have this win. :lol:

Thank you, Charlie. :)

Aww...you're welcome! :) I just saw your post on your advice thread. So the music is healing! That or God finally got the message. I guess persistence does pays off! I prefer the method of wearing him down with my endless begging.

Hmm...maybe I should try that with potential followers of my log. Then again, if my other posts didn't win them over, surely my talk about lemon and it's effects on my poo will. :lol:

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

So an interesting thing happened over the past week.

After I dropped dairy from my diet, I found myself craving lemonade so I've been drinking strawberry and watermelon lemonade like crazy this past week. I really hadn't thought anything of it, but my poo is finally brown after six years of being practically every color, but blue and brown. Don't judge! You know you look at yours too! ;)

Bile salts are what give stools their brown color so I'm quite happy with the recent color change. When I was doing milk and sugar my stools were bright yellow, aside from that week I showed no mercy and went crazy with the activated charcoal. When I was put on an antibiotic, my stools were clay/white. I started to get a little concerned after my gallbladder started acting up again a few months ago. Luckily the apple cider vinegar with meals took care of it in under a week, but my stools still stayed bright yellow. When I did RBTI, the fresh lemon was considered the most regenerative for the liver so I guess in my case, it works.

Another cool thing, this past week I've noticed less and less hair shedding in my shower. Today's shower resulted in only 1 strand of my hair lost in the drain. Up until a week ago, I had been losing a fistful for months. It's a good thing my hair grows fast and was really thick to start with or I'd probably be bald right now and signing up for Danny Roddy's Hair Like A Fox program.

Last night I made up a big batch of tropical chicken so I had a bunch of that today, along with gelatin, papaya, eggs and strawberry/watermelon lemonade and limeade. The chicken gave me absolutely no gut pain or indegestion whatsoever. I'm kind of surprised since I figured meat would be harder to digest than milk and eggs.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, on to more important matters. Dancing!

Tonight's songs are inspired by the sunshiny lemon. Hope you have as much fun dancing to these as I did...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Vt4MlbM0c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

Aspekt

Hi Jennifer,

I have a persistent red rash across my cheeks which I haven't pinned down the cause of yet- I haven't tried to eliminate dairy in long time since I seem to tolerate it somewhat ok in steady doses, digestively speaking anyway, although my stool could be darker. Reading your enthusiastic words makes me think I should going off dairy for a while, do you mind elaborating on your rash, if that's ok; was it on your cheeks?