Argument Not To Take Vitamin D Supplements

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok,, so as most of you know my vitamin D levels are not too good. I have considered taking supplements for it, but for some reason I do not feel right about it. So I got to searching around and ran across this article on why this guy does not supplement with it.

http://gettingstronger.org/2012/11/why- ... pplements/

I also remember reading, I think it was Masterjohn, but not sure. He says we just dont know enough about supplementing to know whether it does more harm then good.

So, I plan on getting vitamin D the old fashion way. The sun. I will do as much as I can this season, and will ask my doctor to retest again when fall comes around to see how it went.

Another problem though. Jenn said that we need saturated fat in our skin to make vitamin D. Uggggggh. I have never heard this before, but, I imagine that I am still pretty replete with unsaturated. Does anyone think putting on coconut oil would actually help in making vitamin D?

J

j.

Another question is: what's the goal? I recently posted a study where they mentioned that reaching 35 ng/ml is good because it lowers PTH levels. After that, they go lower too, but at a much smaller pace. Keep in mind though that these studies were done with PUFA-replete people. I don't know if that makes a difference.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good question j.

I am at 26, so not too far off from 35.

Lucy

Charlie said:
Does anyone think putting on coconut oil would actually help in making vitamin D?

Someone (was it Weston Price?) wrote about certain groups of people in the tropics who believed applying coconut oil before exposing skin to the sun had some very special healing properties. I do that if I can, I'm sure it can't hurt, as CO also has a slight UV-blocking action... still need to move to the tropics though ;)

jyb

I think RP recommends applying D to the skin.

Maybe it would be worth asking him about this article?

Jenn

Getting enough sugar in the diet can eliminate symptoms of D deficiency, but I still feel better taking it in winter and in summer (when it's too hot, I can't handle the heat and stay indoors too much.) It's not as effective as making your own though.

Personally, I have not found coconut oil to be effective as a sun "block" but the ability for my skin to absorb and use the sunlight is better with a fresh application before going outside. Long term, I am a lot better off with or without a fresh application than I was a few years a go.

Jenn

Ok, reread the article again. Yeah, supplementing vitamin D is not a substitute for rebuilding health, but I fully believe it is beneficial until your are making your own. We would be getting it in the diet anyway if we had access to healthy animals products.

Gabriel

Thanks for posting that charlie. Also read is his linked article "The case against antioxidants" where he makes his case for hormesis and supporting your own antioxidant system instead of ingesting external antioxidants. I'm not yet so sure what to make of it though.

He supports low-carbing which makes me more sceptical.