Ray Peat Carrot Salad

Amazoniac

sueq said:
After a couple of weeks, even rinsing the grated carrot, I go off it and cannot face it for a while. An inevitable aversion builds up. A slightly soapy taste. This time it's been 5 weeks +. The carotene explanation seems to fit.

It's expected if you were eating the same food everyday, non-stop.. Maybe you've built tolerance to its toxins.
But after a while, if you enjoyed it, the craving might come back.

The bitter taste might be the reason why it's healthful raw and in small amounts: for its antibiotic properties. Very commercial, conventional produce lack this bitter taste more and more often.

narouz

janus said:
narouz said:
But now, on the Peat diet, and experiencing some difficulties on it,
the carrot tastes/feels kinda repulsive...just instinctively.
Especially if I add the vinegar to it.
It feels like my gut is already too acidic or something,
and that acidy vinegar and the fibrous carrot just are very unappetizing.
I think I tried to force the issue when I first ran into that repulsion
and it did cause diarrhea....

(I'm hoping this leads into another involved discussion of poop and all of its many forms. :D )

I prefer parsnips or bamboo shoots. All taste, no carotene.

I've never tried the bamboo.
Or the parsnips.
Never heard Peat mention them in this context
but they do seem very carrot-like.

Another thing Peat did mention as having those antibiotic properties
is mushrooms.
On a fairly recent interview.
He said in the case of mushrooms
they should be cooked first.
As with bamboo.
Can't wrap my brain around it but that's okay.

So I'm thinking Peat would say a parsnip should be eaten raw.
I've never tried that. :)

janus

narouz said:
I've never tried the bamboo.
Or the parsnips.
Never heard Peat mention them in this context
but they do seem very carrot-like.

Another thing Peat did mention as having those antibiotic properties
is mushrooms.
On a fairly recent interview.
He said in the case of mushrooms
they should be cooked first.
As with bamboo.
Can't wrap my brain around it but that's okay.

So I'm thinking Peat would say a parsnip should be eaten raw.
I've never tried that. :)

I usually have a raw parsnip as an occasional munching food. Tastes similar to carrot, confers certain nutritional advantages.

IDK what Peat's angle is on mushrooms as antibiotics. I certainly don't object - I eat 'em often. It wouldn't be the same mechanism as the carrot, as mushrooms are fungi and not all that fibrous.

tara

I don't usually like or eat acidy vinegar on my carrot salad. Occasionally I've added lemon juice. Also got averse quickly if I didn't rinse the grated carrot till the water ran clearish. I'm trusting my taste on this.

There's no additional benefit to grating the carrot compared to just munching it like a rabbit before or after a spoon of coconut oil. Much more convenient and simple.

narouz

I'd wondered about that.
But now you've solved it definitively and finally.

pboy

sigh...you see, this is why people fail at the 'PEAT DIET'....they simply don't follow it correctly. You can be doing everything else he says right, yet if you don't pre slice the carrot longitudinally...at a 32 degree angle, all else is for naught....siiigh

and the carrot must be exactly 6.2-6.4 inches long

narouz said:
I'd wondered about that.

No worries.

If I can save you years of confusion, just let me know.

And If you're still confused about the word 'diet' just shoot me a PM, I'll also solve that definitively and finally :lol:

narouz

cantstoppeating said:
narouz said:
I'd wondered about that.

No worries.

If I can save you years of confusion, just let me know.

And If you're still confused about the word 'diet' just shoot me a PM, I'll also solve that definitively and finally :lol:

I'm so ashamed of my drivel and nonsense.
Thank you for opening all our eyes to it.
Will you be running for President?

narouz

pboy said:
sigh...you see, this is why people fail at the 'PEAT DIET'....they simply don't follow it correctly. You can be doing everything else he says right, yet if you don't pre slice the carrot longitudinally...at a 32 degree angle, all else is for naught....siiigh

:D

CoolTweetPete

Can someone explain the aversion to carotene? I thought carotene was converted to Vitamin A in the body (albeit at a low conversion rate).

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

forterpride

pboy said:
post 78244 sigh...you see, this is why people fail at the 'PEAT DIET'....they simply don't follow it correctly. You can be doing everything else he says right, yet if you don't pre slice the carrot longitudinally...at a 32 degree angle, all else is for naught....siiigh

lol. This was funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLightMan

This is quite a comprehensive article on the carrot salad: https://redlightman.com/blog/ray-peat-carrot-salad-recipe/

Like many in this thread, I really developed an aversion to carrots after a few months. White rainbow carrots are nice to avoid carotene.

Mixing up with cheese, honey, lime juice, meats, etc., really did help.

YuraCZ

:)
[bbvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XZiA_OSD4[/bbvideo]

PeatThemAll

Charlie said:
post 93863 If carotene does not get converted into vitamin A, it then gets stored in the body. And Ray Peat says it acts like PUFA when stored.

edit to add: http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... hyroidism/

Although a certain portion of her beliefs aren't Peaty, Lierre Keith's description of obligate carnivores (at 29min55sec+ in this interview) makes sense.

In essence, if your ancestors were of the coastal / fish-eating populations, over time they lost the genes required to assemble together vitamin A from its plant source precursors. So animal-based sources are lifesavers for these people.

Last edited by a moderator:

supercoolguy

Shredding length wise increses the surface area, then salting pulls moisture out of the fiber. Let stand. Add your CO or what ever. I go a step further. When i chew i spit the juice out.( I think the salt helps in the gut too).

BUT i sure would like an EAISER way to squeeze the carotene out after salting. Parsnips might have to fill the gap until i buy a press or something?

tara

I find rinsing the carrot a few times after shredding gets rid of a lot of orange stuff - I assume it's a good part of the carotene. Easy.

Has anyone confirmed that parsnips do the same job, or is this a guess/assumption based-on them being carrot-shaped umbrelliferae (sp?)? There is no tradition here of eating them raw - they are usually roasted (yum), which would not do the sweep function.

Barry Obummer

Bodybuilders live off of yams. Then again, they (many of them) don't have to produce their own testosterone.

Well, Peat does frequently mention carotene as a potential problem.
First thing to bear in mind with this
is that Peat thinks most (or at least a lot of) people
living in modern cultures
have hypothyroid issues.
Peat says carotene can act like PUFA,
inhibiting the thyroid and the metabolism.
For those reasons somebody relying upon, say, yams/sweet potatoes as a big part of their diet
could get into trouble...

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals