Coffee Jello/Coffee Gelatin

4peatssake

Just making this now. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Coffee Jello / Coffee Gelatin
1/2 c cold water
2 cups strong coffee, hot. (Original author used two packages of Starbucks Via. The coffee needs to be strong. This isn't the time for Sanka instant. :)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
3 packages of Knox unflavored gelatin

1. Place 1/2 c cold water in a bowl.
2. Sprinkle 3 unflavored gelatin packets over the water. Let sit until the gelatin blooms, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the hot coffee and mix until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Stir in the can of sweetened condensed milk.
5. Pour into glass pan. Thickness of finished jello depends on the size of the pan. I used a 7 x 11 pan but a 9 x 13 pan will give you thinner pieces and an 8 x 8 pan will give you thicker pieces.

Note: The combo of coffee and sweetened condensed milk is inspired by Vietnamese coffee. You can probably adapt this to use coffee or espresso, cream and sugar (be sure to dissolve the sugar in the hot coffee and gelatin). I find that 1 packet of unflavored gelatin will firm up 1 1/2 cups of liquid to finger jello "strength" (according to David Lebovitz's "How to Use Gelatin" post you can mold 2 cups with one envelope - but I feel finger jello needs to be stronger).

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

4peatssake said:
Just making this now. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Coffee Jello / Coffee Gelatin
Just so you know, I had to restrain myself from drinking this before it sets! :lol:
I think this recipe will be reserved for a treat every now and again. :P
I made it with strong drip coffee but I think using espresso would be the bomb!

HDD

:P Thanks for the recipe! I tried to make one without recipe and it was blah, this looks good with the condensed milk.

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
:P Thanks for the recipe! I tried to make one without recipe and it was blah, this looks good with the condensed milk.
You're welcome HDD!
These turned out really great for me. Need to watch I don't eat the entire pan! :roll:

AmanitaVirosa

Hi there 4peatssake, I've also been mucking about with gelatine. I use 2 recipes.
Blackcurrant Jelly.....in a big bowl, boiling water added to Ribena blackcurrant concentrated cordial/juice plus a big dollop of Mexican honey and a small pinch of salt, stir in 3 sachets [= 35 grams of Dr. Oetker gelatine] after the gelatin starts to sink, then refridgerate. The honey flavour compliments the sharpness of the blackcurrant.
Cocoa Jelly.....using the same method as above i.e. the gelatine is always added last.....Cadbury's Bournville cocoa plus a generous amount of table sugar and a pinch of salt. To me the honey doesn't seem to work with the cocoa. Use measures according to your own taste. The only problem with Dr. Oetker gelatine is, it contains sulphur dioxide. I'm looking for a better alternative here in the U.K.
Can't wait to try your coffee recipe, sounds really good !