Chocolate coconut oil bark

ilovethesea

I was looking for a way to eat more coconut oil for its weight loss and anti aging benefits, since I can only have a teaspoon in my carrot salad and I don't like it in coffee. These are super simple to make and are an easy way to get a couple tablespoons of coconut oil per day.

http://thecoconutmama.com/2012/12/cocon ... #more-3905

Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars

Ingredients

2/3 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup coconut oil – Where to buy coconut oil
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey, maple syrup or simple syrup – Where to buy natural sweeteners
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Once it melts add the remaining ingredients. Stir and pour mix over a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for 2-4 hours, or until it is set. Once the chocolate hardens, break it up into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Dutchie

Ive tried making it once,but ended up throwing it away. I think it failed bc i didnt use a liquid sweetener but raw cane sugar instead. Maybe i should try to make the simple syrup of it first.
I also find it hard to measure cups or spoons of coconut oil/butter.

But i imagine you can make various taste varieties using spices,maybe fruitpuree and such.
Have you made&eaten it already?

OP
I

ilovethesea

Dutchie said:
Ive tried making it once,but ended up throwing it away. I think it failed bc i didnt use a liquid sweetener but raw cane sugar instead. Maybe i should try to make the simple syrup of it first.
I also find it hard to measure cups or spoons of coconut oil/butter.

But i imagine you can make various taste varieties using spices,maybe fruitpuree and such.
Have you made&eaten it already?

Yep I've made it several times now. I think you definitely need a liquid sweetener. Maple syrup is the only one I've tried. Sometimes it doesn't harden completely at the bottom but it still tastes good :)

HDD

Thanks for the recipe, ilovethesea! It is really good. I made it with honey. I didn't have parchment paper so I greased a cookie sheet with coconut oil. I also didn't have it level in the refrigerator. Some of it was wasted because I didn't use paper. It is a great way to consume coconut oil and cocoa. :D

Peata

I haven't tried making Chocolate Coconut Oil Bark yet, but you could try making a simple sugar syrup on the stove to go in this recipe.

I do that when I need a fruit filling for a cobbler recipe I have. An example is cooking strawberries, sugar, and water in a pan on the stovetop (I put in a little cornstarch too, to thicken). But I'm thinking you could just do the sugar and water to make a syrup.

Here's one from Food Network:

Yield:
1 1/2 cups

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Directions
Bring water and sugar to a boil and boil until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature and transfer to a jar. Store in a cool pantry or refrigerate.

Dutchie

I still have a can of skim milk powder,even though I'm cutting out the cowdairy but I don't want it let it go to waist.
So,I was thinking of using it to make a milk chocolate bar,but I don't know how many tablespoons I'd need to use of the powder in this recipe.

Anyone know,how many tablespoons I need to add to it? Anyone ver made milk chocolate?

Jennifer

Dutchie said:
I still have a can of skim milk powder,even though I'm cutting out the cowdairy but I don't want it let it go to waist.
So,I was thinking of using it to make a milk chocolate bar,but I don't know how many tablespoons I'd need to use of the powder in this recipe.

Anyone know,how many tablespoons I need to add to it? Anyone ver made milk chocolate?

I wonder if replacing some of the cocoa powder with milk powder would work given that they are both powders. If you added the milk powder in addition to all the cocoa powder without adding extra wet ingredients, it might turn out dry. So maybe adding extra liquid sweetener like the maple syrup or even your homemade chocolate syrup if you use the full 2/3 cup of cocoa powder?

Dutchie

Thanx,Jennifer! :)

I hadn't thougth about the fact that it migth become dry. I think I'll substitute and then go by the color (and possibly smell.).
I'm also thinking about substituting part of the coconut oil for cacobutter,so it's a mixed fat bark.