Old Fashioned Cooked Salad Dressing (mayo Alternative)

ilovethesea

This is really good for a potato salad or anything where you'd want mayonnaise. I was looking for homemade mayo recipes and they all had various PUFA oils, so my mom dug up my grandmother's recipe. The flour and mustard are the only non-Peatish things but they are really small amounts.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp butter
Milk (1/4 to 1 cup, depending on desired thickness)

In top of double boiler or in heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Whisk in eggs, then vinegar and water.

Cook over simmering water or over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add butter once hot and stir until melted.

Let cool, stirring often. Add milk to reach desired consistency. Dressing will thicken when cooling.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 month.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Thanks! How does this taste?

It's like a tangy creamy yellow dressing. Not really like mayonnaise. I think it's more similar to Miracle Whip.

Just looked at Wikipedia and this recipe is what Miracle Whip was trying to copy when it was invented. Miracle Whip - Wikipedia Except they used soybean oil and chemicals...

Note: the sugar can be reduced if you find it too sweet. There are many variations...

Catcream

A similar version, super easy, with sweetened condensed milk, old school classic kiwi salad dressing recipe :

Ingredients
1 tin sweetened condensed milk ( 395grams)

½ tin malt vinegar

½ teaspoon fine salt

1 tablespoon dry mustard

Method
Mix 1 tablespoon of malt vinegar into the mustard powder to make a smooth paste then mix all the remaining ingredients until combined. It is nice refrigerated for an hour before serving. This will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for three weeks.

RawEel

This is really good for a potato salad or anything where you'd want mayonnaise. I was looking for homemade mayo recipes and they all had various PUFA oils, so my mom dug up my grandmother's recipe. The flour and mustard are the only non-Peatish things but they are really small amounts.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp butter
Milk (1/4 to 1 cup, depending on desired thickness)

In top of double boiler or in heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Whisk in eggs, then vinegar and water.

Cook over simmering water or over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add butter once hot and stir until melted.

Let cool, stirring often. Add milk to reach desired consistency. Dressing will thicken when cooling.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 month.
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this!

Have you tried substituting the flour with tapioca starch? I hope that works

Also, I didn’t know mustard is non-Peaty. How come?

OP
I

ilovethesea

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this!

Have you tried substituting the flour with tapioca starch? I hope that works

Also, I didn’t know mustard is non-Peaty. How come?
I can’t remember what the problem was with mustard. Must not have been a big deal because I didn’t stop eating it haha. I haven’t tried making this with tapioca but I think that would probably work! I’ll have to try that too.