Crust recipe

Philomath

Finally, a gluten free, Peat friendly crust! I recently ran across this while watching Unique Sweets on the cooking channel.

CRISPY CRUST LAYER:
1 3/4 cups crisped rice cereal
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup (or each cup of light corn syrup in a recipe, substitute 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup water)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For the crispy crust layer: Put the cereal in a large bowl and set aside. Lightly spray a paper towel with nonstick cooking spray and use it to rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking pan.

Into a small saucepan, pour 1/4 cup water. Gently add the sugar and corn syrup (do not let any sugar or syrup get on the sides of the pan) and use a small wooden spoon to stir the mixture until just combined. Put a candy thermometer in the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, 235 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and pour the mixture over the cereal. Working quickly, stir until the cereal is thoroughly coated, and then pour it into the prepared pan. Using your hands, press the mixture into the bottom of the pan (do not press up the sides). Let the crust cool to room temperature while you make the next layer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've greased my baking dish with coconut oil when I make masa harina bread and flourless chocolate cake. It would probably work for this recipe too.