Chocolate Syrup

Destiny

I made chocolate syrup today as a topping for ice cream, free of HFCS and the cocoa tastes lots better than commercial Nestle or Hersheys too :)

I used raw/untreated cocoa from Penzey's which is available in the US.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Combine the water, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt together in a saucepan over low heat; whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Remove from heat and stir the vanilla into the sauce. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until serving.

crX

This looks good. I've been thinking of making some of my own ever since I read the ingredients on the syrup I got from Trader Joe's (funny how nothing seems safe anymore). I imagine it keeps a while in the fridge too. Thanks.

cliff

I think you messed up on the measurements.

I do 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup cocoa powder, dash of salt. Heat at medium and mix constantly for 3-5 minutes.

AnnB

Add some coconut oil to syrup of your choice and use it as 'hard shell' ice cream topping.

Coconut oil is what is in the commercial hard shell toppings to make it hard when cold. Keep this syrup in the refrigerator or on the counter. Reheat (coconut oil hardens below 76 degrees) if necessary and shake or stir before next use. Or just make enough for single use or family night.

Ann B