Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Makes 1 generous cup

2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons unseasoned rice or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup liquid refined coconut oil (neutral tasting)
1/2 cup macadamia nut oil (or olive oil )

Put the egg yolks, salt, mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar in the food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to combine well. Remove the feed tube, if it is still in place. Run the machine and pour the oil through the feed tube in a thin (less than ¼ inch wide), steady stream until completely incorporated. The mixture will thicken as the oil gets worked in, and the sputtering will diminish by the time the sauce becomes super thick and creamy. It should take 2 to 3 minutes to add the oil.

If the mayonnaise seems overly stiff, work in water by the teaspoon. Taste and adjust the flavor for extra salt and mustard, pulsing the machine to blend the ingredients. Transfer to an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for up to a 2 weeks. To maintain freshness beyond 2 weeks, add 1 Tbs. whey (drained from yogurt)

Mastemah

uh the mac oil isnt really a good idea for regular consumption. You can use fractionated coconut oil for something you wouldnt eat a large amont of like a condiment.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mastemah, I am trying to find a better recipe for Mayo. If you or someone has one I will update the one above. Thank you for bringing the macadamia oil up. It's pretty high in PUFA's and we all know that's not good.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I just checked the PUFA content of macadamia nuts on the list below and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Actually is should be OK if you aren't using the mayonnaise as your main staple.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68

Last edited by a moderator:

ericrlepine

I'll second that Charlie... I've been using mac oil for years now as the only liquid oil that makes into our house and, only in my mayo recipe at that... The stuff is very high in monounsaturated fats, and even lower in unsaturated fats than olive oil... Plus, it's only for mayo, which by definition is a condiment i.e., used sparingly, right?!?! I do mine with only mac oil, and add pinches of cayenne, mustard seed and paprika. Gives it just a little kick :) Salt of course, and usually white vinegar, sometimes lemon juice or apple cider vinegar... Since I want it to last for a while, I also add some whey (extracted from the homemade greek yogurt I strain). I know, whey = lactic acid, which isn't optimal but, it's only a tablespoon or so and, instead of the raw egg mayo only lasting a week or so, it keeps for months on end... Which works great for dipping home-made fries cooked in coconut oil and grassfed tallow :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Eric, yep, I am glad I looked that up. I had forgotten that macadamias were really good for you. I think it has the same kind fat as coconut oil, but I am too tired to look that up right now.

Your extra additions would totally make that mayo recipe kick butt! Thanks so much for chiming in and welcome to the forum! :)

Mastemah

High in monofats can be dangerous like avocado consumption. You dont need the macadamia oil in the recipe... :)

Swandattur

How are monounsaturated fats bad? I thought macadamia nut oil would be better than olive oil since it has less PUFA.

TeslaFan

or you can just use melted butter, and make Hollandaise sauce instead... delicious! Especially with poached eggs.

4peatssake

Here's another recipe that looks good, although I wouldn't use pepper or whey myself and would use canning salt instead of sea salt.

Coconut Oil Mayonnaise

Makes about 1 1/2 cups mayo.
Ingredients:

1 whole, pastured egg
2 pastured egg yolks
1 T dijon mustard
Juice of ½ small lemon
½ teaspoon sea salt
Pepper to taste (I like a few shakes of white pepper)
½ cup quality olive oil (find it here)
½ cup coconut oil, extra-virgin or refined (find it here)
Secret ingredient: 1 T plain whole milk yogurt, plus an additional 1 T whey (optional)

Instructions:

In a blender or food processor, mix the eggs, yolks, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Melt your coconut oil over a very low heat, just to let it turn from a solid to a liquid. You do not want it hot, or it will “cook” the eggs.

Now, you’re going to need to slowly pour in your oils while your food processor/blender is running at a low speed. You need to do this very slowly, just pouring a very thin stream—pouring through the two little holes in the lid of your food processor help to accomplish this. Once all the oils are emulsified, add in your yogurt and/or whey if you’d like. The yogurt gives it a semi-sweet and tangy flavor and can help it stay fresh, but the whey is what will really help the mayo keep longer (about a month, versus a week or so). Refrigerate and enjoy!

Coconut Oil Mayonnaise Recipe

Electric Slim

Very good recipe. It is essentially "paleo" mayonnaise, replacing the polyunsaturated fats with monounsaturated or saturated ones. I added tomato paste, cayenne pepper and Tabasco to it and it made a nice cocktail sauce for shrimp/prawns on a bed of iceberg lettuce with lemon wedges.

shepherdgirl

Using a stick blender can really speed up the process of making mayo. The first time i tried it (yesterday, actually) i broke the mayo, but the second time i studied the technique and made sure there were enough emulsifying ingredients (eggs, mustard). The trick is that the stick blender creates suction with the bottom of the container and draws the oil in, so it's best to blend it in a container only slightly bigger in area than the stick blender. There are videos on youtube showing the technique.

jzeno

This may be very late, but Chosen Foods has a mayonaise product using coconut oil and eggs (very similar to old-fashioned recipes, but with mayo for the primary fat)

Ingredient list: "Other Ingredients: Coconut oil, organic egg yolks, water, organic sugar, salt, organic distilled vinegar, less than1%: mustard, citric acid, rosemary extract.
Contains: Egg."

Example: https://www.vitacost.com/chosen-foods-coconut-oil-mayo

I can find this at Walmart (US) and most other groceries stores. It's fairly popular. A little pricey, but tastes really good. Recommended if you like mayo and don't want to eat any high-PUFA oils such as soy, etc. that the majority of modern mayonnaise is made with today.

TeaRex14

I formulated a very good mayo recipe that's egg free, so it's slightly less PUFA and definitely Peat friendly.

Recipe:
8oz of 1% milk
500-600ml of coconut oil (refined)
1/4 tsp of salt
1 tsp of lime juice (lemon would also work)
1/2 tsp of garlic powder (optional)
2 tsp of dried parsley flakes (optional)

Directions: Pour the milk into the vitamix or blender of choice. Add all the dry seasonings into the mixer with the milk. Melt your coconut oil in a pan on the stove over low heat, we're just trying to liquify the oil, not heat it to high temps. Once melted, transfer the coconut oil into pyrex measurement cup. Once ready, begin to blend the ingredients in the mixer starting on low. I used number 2 on vitamix. Slowly begin to add the oil, not too much at once, especially in the beginning. Approx 200mls in, begin to increase the speed of the mixer. Once the thickening process begins the oil can be added at a quicker rate. I recommend gradually increasing the speed as the mayo gets thicker and thicker. I went from speeds 2 to 4 to 6 to 10. It will eventually get so creamy and thick that it will stop mixing, that's when it's done. Enjoy! Excellent egg free mayo with drastically less PUFA.