Gelatin Series 01: Magnesium Gelatin Pudding

XPlus

I usually make this with either Parsley or Kale.
Spinach is fine, too but it's a little messy when boiled. The fibers will be all over the stock and that's a little unfun to eat when digestion is impaired.

This makes convenient snack as it keeps for few days and can be taken to work, on a trip, or as back up fuel when you run out of milk.

I find the Parsley to taste slightly better than the kale.
It would be a good idea to give your taste buds a chance to experience both.
Parsley also happens to have higher magnesium and Vitmain K content than kale but it's higher in iron.
http://skipthepie.org/vegetables-and-ve ... rsley-raw/

Now to the recipe.

Ingredients:
A bunch of Parsley or a bag of kale
750ml to 1litre water depending on the volume of the grass
5 heaped tbsp. sugar
2-3 tbsp. gelatin powder (non-hydrolized)
Juice of 1 lime (lemon can do, too)

You can adjust these depending on how you like the sweetness and the consistency of jelly.
I like the gelatin not too concentrated. So I usually stick with around 1 level tbsp. of gelatin for every 500ml liquid. It's also easier on digestion.

Method:
1. Wash your greens and drain well.

2. Fill pot with water so that it barely covers the greens.
Make sure there's isn't too or too little much water.
Too much water will make a bale solution and too little run the risk of burning the greens.

3. Bring to a boil.
Immediately after the water boils, lower the heat so that the broth simmers.
Leave to simmer for about 45mins.
For first timers, you might want to check occasionally to make sure heat isn't too high or too low.

4. Remove the greens.
Discard of the greens and strain your broth with a stainer.
This is to make sure there's no irregular residue of greens.

5. Add gelatin.
You can do this several ways.
Preferably, remove about 1 cup of broth and put in the freezer until it cools (about 10-15mins).
Now the gelatin powder will be easy to mix into the cold solution.
Stir gelatin powder in the cold broth and mix for a minute or two until the powder is distributed well in the cup.
Pour everything into the warm broth inside the pot.
Move the pot to the stove again, turn on the heat and stir for few minutes until all gelatin bits dissolve.

If you have no time, you can use cold water instead of waiting for broth to cool but that will dilute your solution.
You could also try mixing the gelatin powder directly in the broth but you'll have to mix vigorously and then strain the few clumps left.

6. Add sugar and lime juice.
Stir until sugar is dissolved.

7. Transfer to a container. (not plastic)
This is how the solution looks like when hot.

8. Keep in the fridge.
For few hours. I think 3-4hrs are enough.
This is how it looks like when it's solid.

Enjoy!

Next time try making it with both the parsley and kale together.

Attachments

• 20150711_191538.jpg
    20150711_191538.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,257
  • ddfs.jpg
    ddfs.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • gel.jpg
    gel.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • liq1.jpg
    liq1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,258
  • parsley.jpg
    parsley.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,257
  • solid.jpg
    solid.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,266
OP
XPlus

XPlus

You my friend deserve a gelatin sculpture made to your honour.
Hat tip to you, too.
tiphat.gif

4peatssake

And one from me as well!
Nice.

hats_off.gif

Zachs

Pretty interesting. Wouldn't chopping the greens up really fine help extract the minerals though? I thought most are bound to the cellulous, putting in whole leaves would probably not result in a whole lot extracted.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

4peatssake said:
And one from me as well!
Nice.

hats_off.gif

Now I have to make two.

Zachs said:
Pretty interesting. Wouldn't chopping the greens up really fine help extract the minerals though? I thought most are bound to the cellulous, putting in whole leaves would probably not result in a whole lot extracted.

Finely chopping up the greens might be only slightly more effective. Probably will make the broth a little messy but I think the cooking should take care of the extraction.
It wouldn't hurt to confirm this, of course.

TeslaFan

I would not recommend doing this with Spinach or Parsley, else it would be more accurate to call it Oxalic acid Gelatin Concentrate. With Spinach, Magnesium would be mostly gone with the discarded greens, and Oxalic Acid, which is undesirable, would be dissolved into water. :2cents

OP
XPlus

XPlus

skominac said:
I would not recommend doing this with Spinach or Parsley, else it would be more accurate to call it Oxalic acid Gelatin Concentrate. With Spinach, Magnesium would be mostly gone with the discarded greens, and Oxalic Acid, which is undesirable, would be dissolved into water. :2cents

I don't remember Dr. Peat directly addressing oxalates before.
So I don't think they should be something to be troubled with much.

"I sometimes make a magnesium supplement by boiling a pound of greens (kale, beets, spinach, etc.) in a little water, making a concentrated extract rich in magnesium.” —Ray Peat

Sometimes here imply occasionality and not overdoing these foods is key to avoid potential imbalances.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

narouz said:
Wow.
That's pretty cool X-P!

What does it taste like?

Reminds me of the green Jell-o, if you're familiar with that.
The secret is using fresh lime juice.
It really is the winner here.

halken

"Eating good food can alter your consciousness; so can thinking about how we’re going to get it.”

Dr. Ray Peat

It's much better to give gelatin context and cultural meaning rather than just throwing it into your coffee mug or glass of OJ.

Thanks for the kick **** recipe XPlus, I've been trying to find a way to add kale broth to gelatin in a tasty way and now I don't have to.

I am a HUGE fan of the art of jelly and panna cottas. I will one day figure out how to create an "elixir" with gelatin. I can't wait.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think a pinch of baking soda should help take care of the oxalic acid.

Zachs

I'm pretty convinced that brassica are a toxic family of plants.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

I should've probably made this with coca leaves :cool:

pboy

lmao! it'd probably be better in reality...
I kid though, I cant stand kale personally, but I commend your kitchen artistry

I'm starting to think though just basically any leaf is not good for a human in general
even in a broth like that, tannins are released which are just pretty much terrible
I'm actually surprised Peat recommends or mentions the greens broths (especially with kale). I guess its like an unwritten law these days, if you don't talk about kale in some fashion in a good way, no one will listen to you about health...you must praise kale. The instant you praise kale, people start thinking you must know what you're talking about and you're a health authority

sometime last year I even just lightly juiced lettuce, and it was terrible...not so much in taste but in post effect. Basically any leaf is the equivalent of eating an unripe fruit, without even having any sugar...it like sucks the life out of you. I doubt theres even a net benefit at all, if anything a loss. The fiber isn't even the main problem in greens..its pretty much just cellulose, but the reason it seems so bad is because whenever you have tannins with anything, its almost like a suction and drying effect, just like unripe fruit, wherever it goes...so it stops secretion and causes constipation, however you slice it, and usually the fibers have the tannins bound to it in greens. If you actually boiled the leaves, then squeezed them and wrung them dry, you would probably be better off eating it then and dumping all the liquid. If you ever have bitten into wood or a popsicle stick, or like a napkin or something, or touched cardboard boxes too much with dry fingers, its like this horrible sensation of the life being sucked out of you to your core...that is what tannins are and do, and greens all have them to an extent...only iceberg lettuce is nearly devoid but it probably has a trace

if you want to get magnesium, theres many better ways, and in fact...human requirement for magnesium is very low. Its another thing like kale, where its kind of trendy and cool and not mainstream like calcium or something, so people feel cool, alternative and hip talking about magnesium. Id guess pretty much no one in the US is deficient, its extremely hard to be. On a 3000 calorie diet you need something like 35% of the RDA to meet your needs, adjust for bioavailability and its probably like double that at most, depending on source. From ripe fruit, or milk which is actually...cheese too, a significant magnesium source, its nearly all bioavailable. In cocoa its like 60% bioavailable which is plenty considering its massive amount. Cocoa is an anomaly when it comes to tannins, w hich usually just correlates to phenolic content, I read a study recently that showed how cocoa polyphenols didn't precipitate digestive proteins, which coffee and tea did, and its well known that any tannin/phenolic compound does this, which is why they are so detrimental to farm animals growth, and humans also...in every sense, tannins bring you closer to weakness and feebleness and lack of functional integrity. In the case of cocoa, probably because its sprouted and germinated, but also because it has a decent protein content, the tannins are actually bound to the protein (cocoa protein is indigestible, some sources say 20%...others say completely indigestible) which basically means they cancel each other out to an extent. Its still not ideal in more than small amounts, but as far as other greens go, skins and peels, unripe fruit, they are terrible in my opinion to eat, or brew, or use in broth, or anything like that. The only peels and skins and stuff that have almost no tannins are the ones that are white and pretty translucent, like white figs, white beans, ect...anything with color is no go

OP
XPlus

XPlus

pboy said:
lmao! it'd probably be better in reality...
I kid though, I cant stand kale personally, but I commend your kitchen artistry

I'm starting to think though just basically any leaf is not good for a human in general

Thanks pboy.
I'm also starting to have similar thoughts.
The occasional pseudo grazing we do is probably a huge downgrade from eating 5 pounds of lettuce and tabbouli everyday. :mrgreen:

Amazoniac

XPlus, have you tried this with collards? Goitrogens are supposed to be destroyed with enough cooking, however no matter how much I've tried to do that, the final product remains bitter and with a strong smell (no, not sulfur). I believe that if I tried to do this recipe with collards, it would be unpleasant..

OP
XPlus

XPlus

I've tried things like bok choi, coriander, kale and broccoli leaves but my favorite is Parsley. Organic flat leaf (Italian) Parsley.
I tried the curly variety but the taste was strong and lacked sweetness.
The non-organic flat leaf I get tastes a little bitter and leave a some fiber behind in the stock.
I think they're weak as a result of poor farming conditions.

The organic ones I get are deep green, thick and feel robust to touch.
They taste sweet when brewed using low heat over 45mins or a little less.

Few drops of lime or lemon juice sometimes help when the brew tastes slightly bitter.
You can try a bit of baking soda or salt, too.

The more greens you've in the pot, the higher the heat and the more you cook them, the more likely you'd get a bitter solution, especially for things like broccoli leaves and bok choi.

What kind of leaves did you try.