Jackson's Honest Potato Chips

Kenobi

I went to a natural food store in Denver and found these chips. It was the only brand of chips that were cooked in coconut oil in the whole store. It came in two flavors, "Salt and Vinegar", which had "organic potatoes, organic coconut oil, apple cider, vinegar, sea salt, fructose, citric acid, rice concentrate", and a normal brand with only organic potatoes, organic coconut oil, and sea salt.

It's distributed by a place in Colorado called "Crested Butte", a high elevation former coal mining town where the natives had crested butts (JK, LOL). It says "A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these potato chips will be donated to The Children's Hospital Colorado. We thank you for your support."

The back article is the most interesting.

Our goal at JACKSON'S HONEST Potato Chips is to bring the potato chip back to its humble and simple roots by using the finest organic potatoes available and kettle frying them by hand using organic coconut oil.

why coconut oil?
For starters it is nature's most unique cooking oil: Highly stable, full of 'good' medium chain triglycerides, and nature's most potent source of lauric acid. In our family, we've used organic coconut oil as an essential part of a diet that helped our son Jackson's illness; it's become a staple in our own kitchen ever since and it's why these chips are named after our son Jackson.

But we also use it because it gives our chips the best flavor and crunch. Industrially processed polyunsaturated vegetable oils just don't cut it anymore: try a chip cooked the way they were meant to be, in coconut oil. It will change your potato chip expectations forever.

Made exculsively with organic potatoes, organic coconut oil, and naturally gluten-free, we hope you will enjoy JACKSON'S HONEST Potato Chips as much as we enjoy making them.

From our kitchen to yours: honest in every way

>signature<

jacksonhonestchips.com

----------------------

Now customers are finding out the other brands are DISHONEST because they continue to poison them with PUFAs lol. I wonder what Jackson's illness was. Hypothyroidism, maybe? It's interesting they brought up PUFAs. The fact that this company is situated in a town with 8900 ft of elevation makes me wonder whether they have ever heard of Ray Peat. Maybe we should ask them.

I slept unusually well 2 nights ago when I ate these before sleeping, didn't wake up even once which is unusual for me. I also ate the chips in the morning, I think around half a bag, and my heart beat so fast I thought it was from a high dose of homeopathic belladonna pellets which I tried and was supposed to speed the heartrate, dilate the pupils, etc. I feel a lot better from coconut oil chips, and it's good I can just go and buy them instead of making them since I'm lazy, and buy them from a chip manufacturing company that appears to be honest, like they mentioned already, lol.

honeybee

I too enjoy them. Vitamin Cottage sells them where I live. I have seen them at a co-op also. I asked my local Kroger/Smiths to start carrying them-we'll see if they do.
I emailed them to thank them, and also ask them about tortilla chips. I would totally buy tortilla chips so I dont have to make them. They said they were going to start making and selling coco oil fried tortilla chips. This makes me very happy. :D

I think even coconut oil would not survive the temperature of a real frying process. I'm sure they are tasty as hell, though.

mt_dreams

If I walk into my local health food store and start reading all the marketing stories on the labels, I'd be there all day. That being said, if you're a compulsive snacker, these chips are about as good as potato chips can get.

22% of these chips fat is not saturated. The process of making commercial potato chips requires extreme high cooking heat, so there is definitely some fatty acid damage in these chips. |Even though they're much better than veggie oil brands, they're not a health product per say.
I'll stick to making fries until someone starts selling a low temp coco oil fried chip (if this is even possible).

Jenn

We fry all the time with coconut oil, including tortilla and potato chips. We reuse it over and over and over and over because it is so stable. In the grand scheme of things, I personally, would be more concerned about it's affect on the pocket book, more than the small amount of non saturated fat.

-Jenn

Jenn said:
We fry all the time with coconut oil, including tortilla and potato chips. We reuse it over and over and over and over because it is so stable. In the grand scheme of things, I personally, would be more concerned about it's affect on the pocket book, more than the small amount of non saturated fat.

-Jenn

Over and over and over and over? :shock:

Henry said:
Genotoxic and carcinogenic risks associated with the dietary consumption of repeatedly heated coconut oil
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20687968

"In conclusion, dietary consumption of repeatedly heated coconut oil can cause a genotoxic and preneoplastic change in the liver."

That's what I mean :shock:

G

gummybear

Jenn said:
Absolutely! Don't get it confused with using vegetable oil, not the same thing at all.

1416769467054.jpg

Raypmom

Such_Saturation said:
Henry said:
Genotoxic and carcinogenic risks associated with the dietary consumption of repeatedly heated coconut oil
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20687968

"In conclusion, dietary consumption of repeatedly heated coconut oil can cause a genotoxic and preneoplastic change in the liver."

That's what I mean :shock:

I agree I never resuse oil. I also don't like to deep fry. Just two three tablespoons will fry anything. :idea:

Jenn said:
Sorry, I trust my body's energy levels before I trust an abstract.

Well, "before" implies that you will have time in the future to actually trust the abstract.

Peatri Dish

I use beef tallow from my good ol grass fed Bessie. I refrigerate it and reuse it. Not good, huh? Anyone got any info on that?

Jenn

There is not enough information in the abstract. What were they cooking at what temperature, how do they define "high", were they really using only coconut oil or a mix of vegetable oils with some coconut oil in it? Cancer causing compared to what? I probably breathe more carcinogens starting up my car in the morning. It's coconut oil with saturated fat and is therefore protective in my book.

Jenn

Did you actually read what they said? In one the conclusion says deep frying causes less damage to the oil than shallow frying. In another, the conclusion says coconut oil is better than palm oil for frying and that coconut oil is a good choice for deep frying. In one of them, the test did multiple batches in one day for 5 days straight without adding any new oil. Who does that in their home kitchen?

I have no problem continuing to do what I am doing.

I read one of them, coconut oil starts resembling palm oil in performance after the first five hours. Neither is recommended after that.