Mushrooms as a Peatian Protein Source?

narouz

In the most recent KMUD Herb Doctors
Peat briefly discusses mushrooms as a source of high quality protein.

I should preface this by saying that Peat stated:
"I don't know anything about mushrooms.
Just about the protein and antibiotic aspects" (a near quote, I hope).

The exchange took place at about the 26 minute mark.
It was prompted, as I recall, by Andrew asking
if Peat knew of other sources of good antibiotic fiber,
as in the carrot and bamboo shoots.
To which Peat replied, "Oh...mushrooms."

He said the protein was of high quality,
and was low in methionine--the most harmful of the aminos.

So...since we are tasked here on this forum
with going where no man (nor woman) has gone before in the Land O' Peat,
I thought I should throw open the topic of mushrooms
as a Peatian protein source.

(It is curious that Peat does Not seem interested himself.
Could be as simple as he doesn't like mushrooms.
But I doubt it's that straight-forward....)

artemis

I was glad to hear him mention mushrooms, because I love them.
Planning on making some homemade cream of mushroom soup this week!

OP
N

narouz

Not careful research,
but just looking about
I found this about mushrooms.
at http://www.powerofmushrooms.com.au/health-nutrition/health-nutrition/protein-carbohydrates/

There wouldn't seem to me to really be a whole lot of protein.
Also, note the lectin and natural glutamate content.

Unique proteins, negligible fats, low carbs - a healthy combination
Summary
Mushrooms are a very low kilojoule food with only 103 kJs per serve.
They have very little carbohydrate or fat, making them a favourite with anyone watching their waistline.
They have a modest amount of protein, similar to, or more, than that found in most common vegetables.
The protein, carbohydrate and fibre found in mushrooms are unique and researchers are finding they can have a very positive influence on our health.
Nutrients per 100g serve

Nutrient Mushroom
Energy kJs

Energy Cals

Protein g

Fat g

Carbohydrate g

Cholesterol mg

Fibre g

g = grams; mg = milligrams

Source: Nutrient Reference Values for Australia & New Zealand 2006; NUTTAB 2010

Protein
The types of protein found in mushrooms are truly unique. One example is lectins that have anti-cancer properties in the laboratory. Other mushroom proteins appear to have both anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties (Xu 2011). As the research continues we hope to get a better understanding of how mushroom proteins could be helping to keep us healthy.

Certain proteins, called hydrophobins, are found only in mushrooms, and these proteins contribute to the texture of the mushroom, making eating them so enjoyable. It is the combination of natural glutamates, protein and other natural flavour compounds that make the mushroom texture and flavour so pleasurable.

Fat
The fat level in mushrooms is almost negligible. There is some fat in the cell walls, and this is sufficient fat to store vitamin D that mushrooms naturally generate after they have been exposed to sunlight. The fat that is present is mainly the healthy unsaturated fat.

Carbohydrate
As you can see, the carbohydrate content of the mushroom is quite low, which means that it has very little effect on blood sugar (glucose) levels, making them perfect for people with diabetes.

Like protein, the carbohydrates found in mushrooms are unique. Some of the carbohydrate is in the form of glycogen, which is found in animals, and not as starch found in plants (Kalac 2013). Other carbohydrates in mushrooms appear to have anti-cancer properties. One Australian study identified two mushroom carbohydrates that inhibit breast cancer cell growth, probably by enhancing immune function (Jeong 2012).

Fibre
The fibre in the mushrooms includes glucans and chitin, which have been linked to lowering the risk of cancer and controlling blood cholesterol levels (Jeong 2010; Gil-Ramírez 2013). Glucans stimulate the phagocyte system that consume alien cells within the body. Mushroom fibre is different to that found in fruits and vegetables, so it helps complement the health benefits of plant fibre.

Kilojoules
As a very low kilojoule food, the mushroom is ideal for anyone trying to control their weight while eating highly nutritious foods.

With its deliciously rich savoury flavour, the mushroom makes an ideal inclusion into both vegetarian and meat dishes. It stands as one of the best value for nutrition foods available. A serve of mushrooms (100g or three button mushrooms) is a simple way to boost your vitamin and mineral intake for very few kilojoules.

More information on the nutrient content of mushrooms can be found in the fact sheet on vitamins and minerals.

References:
Gil-Ramírez A, Clavijo C, Palanisamy M, Ruiz-Rodríguez A, Navarro-Rubio M, Pérez M, Marín FR, Reglero G, Soler-Rivas C. Study on the 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl CoA reductase inhibitory properties of Agaricus bisporus and extraction of bioactive fractions using pressurised solvent technologies. J Science Food Agriculture 2013; 93: 2789-2796
Jeong SC, Jeong YT, Yang BK, Islam R, Koyyalamudi SR, Pang G, Cho KY, Song CH. White button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) lowers blood glucose and cholesterol levels in diabetic and hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutrition Research 2010; 30: 49-56
Jeong SC, Koyyalamudi SR, Jeong YT, Song CH, Pang G. Macrophage immunomodulating and antitumor activities of polysaccharides isolated from Agaricus bisporus white button mushrooms. Journal of Medicinal Food 2012; 15 (1): 58-65
Kalac P. A review of chemical composition and nutrition value of wild-growing and cultivated mushrooms. J Science Food Agriculture 2013; 93 (2): 209-2018
Xu X, Yan H, Chen J, Zhang X. Bioactive proteins from mushrooms. Biotechnology Advances 2011; 29: 667-674
- See more at: http://www.powerofmushrooms.com.au/heal ... y3rP9.dpuf

tara

I was surprised when I saw Peat's positive reference to mushrooms the other day, because I thought I remembered previously reading that he did not eat them because he had discovered they have some problematic chemicals.
I eat mushrooms from time to time. I've heard, but not checked, that they can be a good source of chromium, which is important for sugar metabolism.
Reading this from the article you linked above:
"White button mushrooms have more protein, potassium, copper and selenium than oyster or shiitake mushrooms", said Robert Beelman, Ph.D
I wondered if the commercially grown white button mushrooms available here are fed with enough selenium and copper to be useful.
There are so many varieties of mushrooms, I guess they all have some different pros and cons. (Obviously some are best avoided altogether :))

jyb

tara said:
I wondered if the commercially grown white button mushrooms available here are fed with enough selenium and copper to be useful.

The same concern goes with oysters. Some of its mineral content is highly variable depending on location. Could be you're getting nothing in some cases.

I wonder if beef liver is more reliable. My intuition is that it will be easier to control, if the beef comes from a good farm/butcher, then its probably going to have what its supposed to.

tara

jyb said:
tara said:

The same concern goes with oysters. Some of its mineral content is highly variable depending on location. Could be you're getting nothing in some cases.

I wonder if beef liver is more reliable. My intuition is that it will be easier to control, if the beef comes from a good farm/butcher, then its probably going to have what its supposed to.

I do enjoy regular beef and lamb liver. Do you know if it's any good for chromium?

jyb

tara said:
I do enjoy regular beef and lamb liver. Do you know if it's any good for chromium?

No idea. I usually trust good quality meat/dairy to have minerals I need.

OP
N

narouz

Re: Mushrooms as a Peatian antibiotic fiber source like bamboo shoots...

It occurred to me that I might've sortuv buried an important element
in my original post:

That Peat said mushrooms have the same kind of fiber
that carrot and bamboo shoots do--
valuable for lowering bowel bacteria and endotoxin.

I've been thinking about something else, related,
that I think Peat might've talked about on the same interview (see OP).
Somewhere, at any rate,
Peat said that those valuable antibiotic fibers
need to be consumed raw in the case of the carrot,
but cooked in the instance of the bamboo shoots.

That's odd, isn't it?

But--anyhow, setting that oddness aside--
I can't recall if Peat addressed this with regard to the mushroom's antibiotic fibers.
That is, should the mushroom be cooked or raw to retain its antibiotic property?

I've been experimenting with mushrooms lately.
Last night I had baked giant Portobella mushooms with cheese melted on them.
First thing in the morning I had a very voluminous and well-formed bowel movement.
I usually have to wait a while in the mornings--after coffee--until mid or late morning.

lindsay

First of all, new RP interview!! Yes!! I'm on that!! Secondly, I LOVE mushrooms. Yay for mushrooms!

HDD

Portabella mushrooms are very effective. I easily eat more than I need and cause too much movement.

So delicious with melted cheese. Thanks for the idea, Narouz.

OP
N

narouz

HDD said:
Portabella mushrooms are very effective. I easily eat more than I need and cause too much movement.

So delicious with melted cheese. Thanks for the idea, Narouz.

How do you cook that, HDD?
I like the idea of being able to use them like a carrot salad.
But on the protein aspect...
I really don't feel too confident about that.

HDD

I made a mushroom, onion, and cheese pizza, a mushroom and cheese omelet, mushrooms for steak, and mushrooms with cheese melted on top.

I'm a cheesy person.

Yea, I like the change from a carrot.

OP
N

narouz

HDD said:
...mushrooms with cheese melted on top...

That's the one I'm trying to master.
Did you bake it?
Sautee it?
What kind of cheese?

HDD

I sautéed in a pan and melted Swiss cheese on them in the microwave. The mushrooms were for the steak, adding cheese and eating without steak was an afterthought.

Daimyo

@Tara
Normal mushrooms have rather decent level of copper, zinc and selenium as the chickens are given those minerals in their feed. What I might be concern with is how much glyphosate ends up in mushrooms, as chicken manure can have up to around 1000 ppm of glyphosate. Especially if you live in USA or other country where GMO plants are grown.

Glyphosate is an active ingredient of herbicide Roundup. It is made by the company that everyone loves to hate - Monsanto...

OP
N

narouz

Daimyo said:
@Tara
Normal mushrooms have rather decent level of copper, zinc and selenium as the chickens are given those minerals in their feed. What I might be concern with is how much glyphosate ends up in mushrooms, as chicken manure can have up to around 1000 ppm of glyphosate. Especially if you live in USA or other country where GMO plants are grown.

Glyphosate is an active ingredient of herbicide Roundup. It is made by the company that everyone loves to hate - Monsanto...

Daimyo-
So...are you assuming that mushrooms are grown with chicken poop...?

mt_dreams

Not every large grower of mushrooms uses chicken manure as one of its compost ingredients, but they are few and far between. It's a very practical way for us to get rid of all the chicken crap without having to dump it into our water supply.

Is there a report that shows if the mushrooms absorb the glyphosate from the compost at larger quantities than other things grown by big business agriculture?

Daimyo

I don't know about uptake of glyphosate by particular mushrooms, but in general mycorrhizal fungi can transport it trough the hyphae as they are recognize them as nutrients (glyphosate is a strong chelating agents, so it "sticks" to certain nutrient). It particularly like to chelate manganese, and fungi use a lot of manganese.