Food variety

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

narouz - speaking of assumptions....I'm of the xx chromosome part of the population my friend ;)

When I said "the question should be" I was trying to get at the notion
as I just said in my post of a few minutes ago,
that I don't think we should necessarily be too hasty in congratulating ourselves
for redefining "delicious" as an exclusive Peat province.
And I don't think we should necessarily be so hasty in derrogating what
the 99.99% of non-Peatians in the world consider "delicious."

My original post did not actually talk about taste or how delicious certain foods are. I was talking about the surprising outcome of my objective experience that eating along Peat's guidelines lacks variety, compared to how I have eaten in the past. This was a huge stumbling block for me to begin eating this way. And now the experience of eating this way has changed me, not my mind, not my 'ego', not my wishes. It was unexpected and I wondered if others had experienced this too. Or not. I personally am not interested in whether people find milk, cheese and eggs delicious. What does interest me is overcoming my food issues, finding better health and becoming a better person. My post was wanting to go down that path, to talk about a very important change that has been occuring for me.

It's not quite the same as saying that those 99.99% "can't all be wrong."
They could.
But I think it is good to have some degree of respect and consideration for their views
because that is one way to cultivate a bit of skepticism about ourselves.
Which I think is a good thing.

I know you weren't talking to me specifically, but my :2cents. I don't care to much how others eat, or what they think of what I'm doing i.e. Peat. I've done what the 99% think is right and it took me to the brink both physically and mentally. I don't think I'm going to get too much support of value from my family, friends and co-workers. Can you imagine it?

Me: I'm not sure what to do, been feeling a bit tired lately and am got some acne, which is unusual for me.

Everyone else: Oh ok, that's no good. Maybe it's something you ate. What did you eat yesterday?

Me: Ummm, some eggs fried in coconut oil, cheese, a litre of OJ, couple of coffees with 4 sugars, 2 cokes, some liver and gummy bears.

Everyone else: are you out of f****** mind!!! Get this girl a salad, stat!

Jenn

It is a fallacy to think that because your friends/your "world" all worship veggies that that is normal, that they are the 99%. Meat and potatoes is still king around these parts. If we could get coconut oil on the shelves in the same volume as the peanut oil and corn oil, people around here would be in good health and not need to make any other changes at all.

Kelly

ttramone said:
I believe too the more 'perfunctory' nature of my diet is helping with some of my more habitual negative eating patterns. I just get on a roll with the milk and coffee and OJ and eggs and fruit etc and there really is no room for junk. This has all been a pleasant surprise, along with the small increase in energy and less brain fog.

And sugar. My old friend sugar. We meet again. And...........I love you. :thumbup:

I really like this point, and it's been my experience as well. I think I could exist for months on fruit and cheese. I get cravings for avocado and chips and burgers and pizza and other things like this, but overall I find this "diet" very satisfying and my cravings are waning. I used to crave these PUFA laden things everyday.

4peatssake

ttramone said:
Jenn said:
People really don't eat as much variety as the cook books would have you believing. A ravioli is a potsticker with different spices. I have become a MUCH better cook since the change in diet.

Yeah I was thinking about that recently. I probably ate the same meals over and over and there wasn't as much variety as I thought. But still more than I have right now, which I'm not complaining about. It's making life easier at the moment.

I was always frustrated by food - never finding anything that satisfied that wasn't "bad for you." I was really messed up in my thinking about food and health and as a result I never listened to the clues my body was giving me.

I remember years ago hearing about breatharianism and thinking - yeah, wouldn't that be great! No eating. I also thought fruitarianism might be an good option for me. I think my body was always trying to clue me in. When I was pregnant with my first child, I craved orange juice and french fries. My diet was mostly orange juice, potatoes and carrots. Unfortunately, the fries I craved and ate were cooked in peanut oil I think. :cry: I was already avoiding dairy by then.

What I find interesting is that adopting Peat inspired eating, I've ventured into the kitchen more to try new things, I'm discussing with others what works or doesn't work for them and have become open to the possibility of truly restoring my health through proper nutrition.

It is an interesting adventure and so many of you inspire me very much.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Kelly said:
ttramone said:
I believe too the more 'perfunctory' nature of my diet is helping with some of my more habitual negative eating patterns. I just get on a roll with the milk and coffee and OJ and eggs and fruit etc and there really is no room for junk. This has all been a pleasant surprise, along with the small increase in energy and less brain fog.

And sugar. My old friend sugar. We meet again. And...........I love you. :thumbup:

I really like this point, and it's been my experience as well. I think I could exist for months on fruit and cheese. I get cravings for avocado and chips and burgers and pizza and other things like this, but overall I find this "diet" very satisfying and my cravings are waning. I used to crave these PUFA laden things everyday.

Yeah Kelly I'm hoping its something that becomes quite automatic for me. I would like most days just to be pretty much the same, where I don't have to think about it. That would be a real win for me. Of course there will be exceptions. I'm going out for lunch and dinner today, so I will pretty much eat what I feel. But I only eat out generally once or twice a week. But I'm more concerned with what I'm doing 90% of the time.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

4peatssake said:
ttramone said:
Jenn said:
People really don't eat as much variety as the cook books would have you believing. A ravioli is a potsticker with different spices. I have become a MUCH better cook since the change in diet.

Yeah I was thinking about that recently. I probably ate the same meals over and over and there wasn't as much variety as I thought. But still more than I have right now, which I'm not complaining about. It's making life easier at the moment.

I was always frustrated by food - never finding anything that satisfied that wasn't "bad for you." I was really messed up in my thinking about food and health and as a result I never listened to the clues my body was giving me.

I remember years ago hearing about breatharianism and thinking - yeah, wouldn't that be great! No eating. I also thought fruitarianism might be an good option for me. I think my body was always trying to clue me in. When I was pregnant with my first child, I craved orange juice and french fries. My diet was mostly orange juice, potatoes and carrots. Unfortunately, the fries I craved and ate were cooked in peanut oil I think. :cry: I was already avoiding dairy by then.

What I find interesting is that adopting Peat inspired eating, I've ventured into the kitchen more to try new things, I'm discussing with others what works or doesn't work for them and have become open to the possibility of truly restoring my health through proper nutrition.

It is an interesting adventure and so many of you inspire me very much.

Isn't interesting what different journeys we are on, even though we are probably wanting the same thing - as you said - to restore our health. I love hearing about what comes up for people, and how they deal with it. Always good to learn something new!

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Jenn said:
It is a fallacy to think that because your friends/your "world" all worship veggies that that is normal, that they are the 99%. Meat and potatoes is still king around these parts. If we could get coconut oil on the shelves in the same volume as the peanut oil and corn oil, people around here would be in good health and not need to make any other changes at all.

I agree with you Jenn. But I can guarantee you that if you are overweight, the first bit of advice you get when you are sick or have a problem, is to eat more vegetables, regardless of whether the person dishing out the advice eats that way themselves :)

4peatssake

ttramone said:
I love hearing about what comes up for people, and how they deal with it. Always good to learn something new!

:yeahthat

What I found amazing was discovering how many folks here have tried both raw vegan and paleo/low carb and gone back and forth between them more than once.

I was honestly floored by that. I had no idea so many people struggled like me. I knew there were food disorders and problems with weight etc., but everyone around me seemed perfectly content with food. Me, I rarely ate and felt good and felt there was something "uniquely" wrong with me.

I never considered thryoid being an issue for me, surprisingly so as my mother was diagnosed as hyperthyroid when I was very young (she was in her 40s) and takes a thryroid pill (I've thought it was iodine) every day since. She has also taken an aspirin every day - and I've never asked what her reasoning was behind doing that. She has always refused to take any other medications.

I'm still wading through the virtual mountain of information available but am admittedly slow going as I don't want to make any serious mistakes and set myself back any further than I already have done.

Good to be among fellow travelers looking for the same thing.

pboy

would it be reasonable to assume PUFA cravings are an acute reaction to stress, considering they are used in quick response stress hormone reactions?
When I'm stress I crave dark chocolate usually more than anything but find that if im out or at work and under stress ill crave anything that's sort of rich even if it may have some PUFA in it (chocolate peanut butter cups come to mind), but never have a craving for tough or fibrous foods.
That's what I love about the Peat foods is they are pretty much all non fibrous, very soft and easy to eat, and taste good (a baby could eat them!) And you don't have to think much about it, which I agree is awesome

J

j.

pboy said:
would it be reasonable to assume PUFA cravings are an acute reaction to stress, considering they are used in quick response stress hormone reactions?
When I'm stress I crave dark chocolate usually more than anything but find that if im out or at work and under stress ill crave anything that's sort of rich even if it may have some PUFA in it (chocolate peanut butter cups come to mind), but never have a craving for tough or fibrous foods.
That's what I love about the Peat foods is they are pretty much all non fibrous, very soft and easy to eat, and taste good (a baby could eat them!) And you don't have to think much about it, which I agree is awesome

I don't think I've ever had a PUFA craving. I probably had a fat craving, but not for PUFA specifically.

narouz

j. said:
pboy said:

I don't think I've ever had a PUFA craving. I probably had a fat craving, but not for PUFA specifically.

This is a fine point, but an interesting one, to me! :ugeek:

Let's say you're having a craving.
Someone says: "Hey, I just whipped up a fresh batch of french fries from organic, peeled potatoes!"
You ask: "Well...did you fry them in coconot oil"
Your host replies: "Right...are you crazy!?...do you know how expensive that stuff is!? They're cooked in peanut oil."

Question: do you eat them? Will you probably enjoy them?

Dutchie

pboy said:

From what I gathered cacao/cacaobutter doesn't contain that much PUFA,rigth? Anyway,the stress and craving chocoate is probably more related to the fact that it's high in magnesium.....and not so much the PUFA I think.If it were PUFA you'd probably crave other high PUA foods?

J

j.

Chocolate in stores sometimes have added vegetable fat, depending on the country you live. Since vegetable fat is cheaper than cocoa butter, many store-bought chocolate have vegetable fat instead of cocoa butter. Cocoa butter I think is a good fat, mostly monounsaturated.

J

j.

narouz said:
Someone says: "Hey, I just whipped up a fresh batch of french fries from organic, peeled potatoes!"
Your host replies: "Right...are you crazy!?...do you know how expensive that stuff is!? They're cooked in peanut oil."

I don't know, I ate some pork a long time after avoiding PUFA and it didn't taste as good as I remembered it. So it seems that this diet changed my tastes a bit.

Fries can also be cooked with ghee. It's not too hard to make ghee from butter.

narouz

Yes, I think I may've noticed some similar shift in my perception of taste.
Too early and untested to really say,
but I think this might be a possibility:
that our tastes may change under the prolonged influence of the Peat diet.

And so...one might eat the fries cooked in peanut oil,
and indeed not like the taste.

I'm only speculating about a possibility of course.

J

j.

narouz said:
Yes, I think I may've noticed some similar shift in my perception of taste.
Too early and untested to really say,
but I think this might be a possibility:
that our tastes may change under the prolonged influence of the Peat diet.

And so...one might eat the fries cooked in peanut oil,
and indeed not like the taste.

I'm only speculating about a possibility of course.

Consider another possibility: When I was young, I could eat ANYTHING, and it was ok. Now I barely like any fruit (probably because the way many have grown), and dislike most waters (probably because they're in plastic containers), so I think it's also possible that me disliking so many things is a symptom of being sick. I started disliking many thing even years before Peating, I seem to tolerate more things now. Now, if I was healthy I might still prefer some foods over others without being repulsed by the latter, but it's been a while since I could just eat whatever I wanted and not feel discomfort.

pboy

Indeed I will always go for a good dark chocolate (just cacao in it) over one with other added nuts/oils...but sometimes none are available
and those dark peanut butter cups will call out to me. Palm oil and olive oil have less PUFA than peanuts but don't taste good and I'd never
purposely seek them out...almond aren't particularly appealing either, but for some reason cashew and peanuts still taste pretty good to me the times I do eat them. (I have
no good explanation for this) I occasionaly eat a brazil nut for selenium but they don't really taste that good....not bad but not good enough to where I'd eat them if they didn't have selenium

4peatssake

j. said:
narouz said:

I don't know, I ate some pork a long time after avoiding PUFA and it didn't taste as good as I remembered it. So it seems that this diet changed my tastes a bit.

I noticed a change in tastes at Easter dinner. I decided I was going to have my broccoli casserole anyway even though I knew it had some really bad stuff in it. ;)

Well, lo and behold, I didn't really care for it. I'd usually gobble it up and make sure I made plenty for left overs the next day. Instead, my favorite thing on my plate were the potatoes, loaded with salt and butter. And I did steak instead of turkey!

So yeah, a change there.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

4peatssake said:
j. said:
narouz said:

I noticed a change in tastes at Easter dinner. I decided I was going to have my broccoli casserole anyway even though I knew it had some really bad stuff in it. ;)

Well, lo and behold, I didn't really care for it. I'd usually gobble it up and make sure I made plenty for left overs the next day. Instead, my favorite thing on my plate were the potatoes, loaded with salt and butter. And I did steak instead of turkey!

So yeah, a change there.

The same thing happened to me. I used to go ga-ga for salt and vinegar crisps. I haven't had any for months, but I was at work the other night and didn't bring enough food so I bought a small packet. They tasted like sh*t. It was the oil. I think they use high oleic sunflower oil and/or canola oil. I was sort of happy and sad at the same time that I could not eat them :D

kiran

ttramone said:
The same thing happened to me. I used to go ga-ga for salt and vinegar crisps. I haven't had any for months, but I was at work the other night and didn't bring enough food so I bought a small packet. They tasted like sh*t. It was the oil. I think they use high oleic sunflower oil and/or canola oil. I was sort of happy and sad at the same time that I could not eat them :D

Ya, i had a bag of chips the other day, and it left my mouth feeling icky. Somehow nothing tasted good all evening, probably due to the residue of the oil in my mouth. Pretty sure it lasted for a few hours. I wonder what exactly is going on here.