Danny Roddy And Meal Suggestions

pboy

I can offer this...wheat is actually a good selenium source, and if white (pasta, crackers, ect) most of the phosphorus / phytates are removed
white rice is pretty neutral, only slightly imbalanced mineral wise, and is easily digestible
corn treated with lime (masa, hominy, tamal) has most of the antinutrients removed, skin fiber, and is a pretty good calcium source
potatoes if well cooked, and eaten with saturated fat, are a pretty balanced food source with a uniquely good protein profile

I'm not recommending anything, but at least a case could be made for those particular foods based on those reasons...any other grain really has no good reason to consume that I can think of...and they don't taste good anyways!. I think veggie cravings are often a indicative of low calcium or choline....so eating more dairy might help (calcium). I think that's why Ray recommends 1 egg a day, or a little meat (especially shellfish), even though they're not ideal foods, the choline they provide is crucial to round out the daily nutrient profile. If you do eat some veggies its probably a good idea to put some saturated fat on them to smooth out the natural roughness, and Ray recommends well cooking most but that's up to you ...eaten raw they are more of a bulker and eaten cooked are more if you want to absorb the nutrients

Rem

Rem, I think if you cook your vegetables, eating them is ok.

I enjoy some raw salad (quite easily digestible) - for freshness - but cooked vegetables are better for "bulk" consumption.
Concerning the added fat, it depends : sometimes I just seek for their "roughness/minerality" in a qualitative sense (of which a chemical analysis can testify), sometimes I enjoy adding some butter or ghee.
I have also "discovered" that the cooking method is paramount : boiling them in a lot of water makes them quite heavy, whereas just pouring some water and cooking with the lid on the pan ("à l'étouffée" in french), or braised, makes them tasty and lighter. Wok-style is quite good IMO, but tends to heat me too much.

Eventually, sorting foods into : Sugars (fruit, roots, grains, fats), Proteins (dairy, flesh) & Veggies (mainly cooked) - is the more practical for me (I know fats are not "carbohydrates", but they share a C-O-H composition...)

G Forrest

Very interesting thread. I too have felt poorly with large quantities of refined sugar. I think Dr. Peat's quote make sense in this context: "Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic. " The key words here are "temporary" and "occasional".

The OP seems to merely suggest that one should be careful with frequent and large amounts of refined white sugar throughout the day, as the Peat quote above (in my interpretation) supports. Again "occasional substitute" shouldn't mean load up on sugar in the winter months because no good fruit is available.

That said, I have been using generous amounts of cane sugar in my coffee in the morning with raw full fat milk, because I seem to crave the sugar and it makes the coffee more palatable. It just feels nice and balanced with a meal. (I also start it off with fresh-squeezed OJ)

Why not use coconut sugar or muscovado sugar?

Better nutrient profile than refined white sugar. But there is some dilemma

My experience are these - If i use fresh milk or UHT i mix refined white sugar. Not muscovado because my stomach will not be able to digest the combination so too fast toilet transit time. Not good. I still not sure why white sugar is ok but not muscovado with those variant of milk.

But with full cream powdered milk i can use the muscovado with no issues at all.

G Forrest

I do enjoy coconut sugar. It's less refined than white or cane sugar, so has more texture and flavor. I also find I don't get the same spike in energy from it. Haven't tried muscovado, I'll have to find some and give it a whirl.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals