Supplement Replacements

eminions

I was wondering what supplements are replaceable, recommended, and maybe even necessary.

So far I am thinking that:

Non Replaceable:

Everyday:VK
Aspirin

Infrequent
VE

Replaceable
Everyday:
VA (Liver)
VD (Sun)
Thryoid (Enough Nutrients/Sugar/Protein etc...)
Niacinamide (Low PUFA Diet as well as Low PUFA in body Fat)

Infrequent:
Sulfur (Good Diet/Carrot Salad)
Minocycline (Good Diet/Carrot Salad)

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the subject. I know that technically, you probably don't need any supplements, and it also depends on the person. But I just wanted to get an idea on what you think is necessary/not necessary regarding supplements.

Some things I didn't really count as supplements: Gelatin, Sugar, Salt/Baking Soda, Cocoa/Cacao, Coffee, Coconut Oil...I kind of consider these to be more foods than supplements.

I am also assuming that it is probably best to avoid supplements as much as possible and try to get the nutrients from food/real sources. Which supplements have pros that out weigh the cons and the negatives of the food it can come from i.e. Vitamin E from Nuts: Nuts are a good source of Vitamin E, but they are also high in PUFA's so it would probably be better to just supplement...

Thanks for any advice/input!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am starting to come to the realization even with eating a good amount of liver and also my pastured eggs that I might have to start supplementing vitamin A. Especially when I get out in the sun. Ever since I started getting sun this season my acne has went off the charts.

J

j.

eminions said:
Non Replaceable:

Everyday:VK

What about eating organs every week (tongue, brain, liver, tripe)? I think organs have vitamin K2, but there are no publications saying how much it has.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I am starting to come to the realization even with eating a good amount of liver and also my pastured eggs that I might have to start supplementing vitamin A. Especially when I get out in the sun. Ever since I started getting sun this season my acne has went off the charts.

Do you take vitamin E? Wondering because if I recall correctly vitamin E helps the body use vitamin A better?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Do you take vitamin E? Wondering because if I recall correctly vitamin E helps the body use vitamin A better?

I take unique E. A couple of squirts on the wrist one or two times a day.

OP
E

eminions

I guess I forgot that you can acquire VK2 from butter. I looked on Nutrition Data, and found the VK content from meat is pretty negligible. When looking into butter, it says that you can get approximately 20% RDA from 1 cup of butter. Now this would be a lot of butter to consume. I am not saying that it would be bad to consume this much butter, but that it would be pretty expensive to consume that much grass fed butter daily.

This makes me think that it is significantly better economically speaking to supplement VK, unless I am missing some other sources.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
A cup of butter a day is way too much fat.

Doesn't our body make some vitamin K in the gut?

J

j.

eminions said:
I looked on Nutrition Data, and found the VK content from meat is pretty negligible.

I think they are wrong on that. From Chris Masterjohn:

Of all organs in the body, vitamin K2 exists in the second highest concentration in the salivary glands (the highest concentration is found in the pancreas). Even when rats are fed only K1, nearly all of the vitamin K in their salivary glands exists as K2.

and also:

Precise values for the organ meats that would be richest in K2 are not available. The pancreas and salivary glands would be richest; reproductive organs, brains, cartilage and possibly kidneys would also be very rich; finally, bone would be richer than muscle meat.

jaa

Charlie said:
A cup of butter a day is way too much fat.

Doesn't our body make some vitamin K in the gut?

I believe so. I would think eating peat style (eggs, liver, parmigiano reggiano cheese, milk, bone broths, and grassfed butter) provides more than enough vitamin k2. The only reason I supplement is because I take aspirin.

OP
E

eminions

I don't. It's just supposed to be a list of supplements that perform a specific function that you either can or can't replace through some other method.

Jenn

Everyone is different. I don't use a vit K supplement, but I wouldn't go without my niacinamide supplement, even eating niacin rich foods. Aspirin is also a lifeline for me....though it could be replaced by ACV and OJ in the diet for others.

I don't use antibiotics ever.

superhuman

Charlie how is your diet like then? i dont get any acne so something that your eating is causing this i guess. Acne and other stuff like that is seldom caused by something your lacking

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
superhuman, welcome to the forum. :welcome

My diet is spot on as far as I can tell. I found that by supplementing vitamin A that my acne immediately started to get better.