Soy Lecithin Free Chocolate

freal

Why doesnt Ray Peat like lecithin, the ammount of it in chocolate is like 0,25-0,5%, thats like bellow 0,25grams of PUFA in 100gram bar.

The problem that I see is that lecithin is a byproduct of oil refining, degguming process, its extremely high in pesticides and all sort of contaminats from the acid they use for degguming.

jyb

freal said:
Why doesnt Ray Peat like lecithin, the ammount of it in chocolate is like 0,25-0,5%, thats like bellow 0,25grams of PUFA in 100gram bar.

The problem that I see is that lecithin is a byproduct of oil refining, degguming process, its extremely high in pesticides and all sort of contaminats from the acid they use for degguming.

It's very estrogenic, so it can have an effect despite not having a large weight in the product. Actually, weight is almost irrelevant in general for these things. I posted a study about this, comparing things like tofu, lecithin and other soy derived products.

freal

jyb said:
freal said:

It's very estrogenic, so it can have an effect despite not having a large weight in the product. Actually, weight is almost irrelevant in general for these things. I posted a study about this, comparing things like tofu, lecithin and other soy derived products.

I wonder if the estrogenic effect could be from the contaminants left in lecithin after the degguming process.
Practically everything could be in there, from hexane, mold, mycotoxins, pesticides, dirt, dioxins. Who knows.

I read that glyphosate in degummed soybean oil is much lower than in crude.

OP
J

j.

Soy lecithin itself is a byproduct of soy processing that for a long time was thought of as waste.

freal

Well, you all know how hard is to stay away from lecithin, if its not lecithin, its some other thing like monoglycerides or tyglycerides.

Are these glycerides safe? I dont know how those are made.

jyb

Soy products are marketed as having "natural phytoestrogens". So I assumed that something lecithin inherited that, and that's independent from all the pesticides or other chemicals added.

jyb

I thought that soy lecithin was bad due to its estrogenic activity. Here is another explanation:

100 years ago a study done by Epstein and Olsan found that lecithin tends to speed up sugar-fermentation by bacteria. This explains why some people break out from eating chocolate. It's not the cocoa causing it, it's the lecithin that's in most chocolate products. Many people have difficulty digesting/assimilating lecithin. For these people, when lecithin is combined with sugar in chocolate, and the lecithin speeds the fermentation of the sugar and simultaneously retains it longer in the body, the evidence usually appears as an abnormal pimple or infected bump. If cancer already exists in the body, then the cancer will likely produce a tumor quickly because cancer tumors grow and thrive on fermented sugar. For this reason, these people should avoid chocolate made with lecithin and sugar.

jyb

I thought that soy lecithin was bad due to its estrogenic activity. Here is another explanation:

The Ultimate Chocolate Blog

100 years ago a study done by Epstein and Olsan found that lecithin tends to speed up sugar-fermentation by bacteria. This explains why some people break out from eating chocolate. It's not the cocoa causing it, it's the lecithin that's in most chocolate products. Many people have difficulty digesting/assimilating lecithin. For these people, when lecithin is combined with sugar in chocolate, and the lecithin speeds the fermentation of the sugar and simultaneously retains it longer in the body, the evidence usually appears as an abnormal pimple or infected bump. If cancer already exists in the body, then the cancer will likely produce a tumor quickly because cancer tumors grow and thrive on fermented sugar. For this reason, these people should avoid chocolate made with lecithin and sugar.

Ben

I once came across a brand that's called "Coconut Secret" that has no soy lecithin or ingredients RP would disapprove of. It has coconut and coconut sugar, I think.

OP
J

j.

This just reminded me that some people are afraid to take pregnenolone, but they take soy lecithin without thinking, which has more documented side effects on rats than pregnenolone. They couldn't show any side effect to pregnenolone even after filling the stomach's rat with it.

uuy8778yyi

green blacks 85% - no lecithin

cocoa and cocoa butter in general is low in pufa

Lilac

Nestlé's makes one kind of chocolate chip that contain no soy lecithin. I think they are labeled "all-natural." You have to find a supermarket that carries full lines of products, then you might find these. Read the ingredient list, of course, to be sure you have the right stuff. Although the price is higher compared with ordinary chocolate chips, it is a bargain compared with the boutiquey organic chocolate bars.

walker_in_aus

Has anyone found a white chocolate that has no lecithin in it? I have tried making my own but still experimenting, would love to know if there is a brand somewhere without it.